RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firing Rifles at Very Close Targets Question

Boolit Master

Did you pick up their brass? I'll bet they don't reload.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Did you pick up their brass? I'll bet they don't reload.
    No, I could not. This is a Georgia managed range. They collect the brass to off set range operations. Asking others for their brass is also discouraged.

Sent from my LG-M210 using Tapatalk
    "...journalism may be the greatest plague we face today - as the world becomes more and more complicated and our minds are trained for more and more simplification"
    Nassim Taleb
    'Fooled by Randomness'

Boolit Master
    had guys shoot high power rifles next to me at 50yds
    1 guy couldnt resist coming over after i had been shooting awhile
    what you shooting he said? me 22 rim fire says i dont see your target?? iam shooting the gong at 300yds why dont you step it up up bit?

Boolit Master
    This annoys me greatly too,......ijits shoot at low down 25 yd targets with big guns and milsurps ,and kick up choking clouds of dust,which drifts back on the firing line,coating all my gear and guns with sand and grit.......There are a lot of millenials shooting for video to put on u tube,and pretend 25yd targets are shot at 100 or more.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    In all seriousness, why do I see so many people shooting their rifles at targets that are so close to them. Here is a photo from a recent range visit. Is this some new firearms/training discipline?
    Yeah, sort of.

When dealing with AR's, the sight plane is 2.5 inches above the bore, and that makes for some interesting compensations - especially at shorter distances.

If the rifle is zeroed at 200 yards, the bullet crosses the line of sight TWICE, being also pretty much dead on at 50 yards as the bullet climbs. On the way to that, it will be about an inch low at 25 yards. At 100 yards, it's about 1.25" high.

If the gun's zeroed at 100 yards, the bullet may climb another 1/8 to quarter inch before it starts back down to be about 1.25" low at 200. IME, it'll be about 2" below point of aim at 15 yards.

It's called "mechanical offset", and it's a good thing to practice.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Buddy

Those aren’t reduced targets, but I occasionally use reduced 200&300 25yd equivalents indoors.

Also, there’s some 3 yard targets that are challenging. This one keeps me in check.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	37D7A64F-1EDB-41D2-90A9-70BB257BBBE3.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	30.1 KB 
ID:	242440
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    I ran into a fellow at the range sighting in a Gibbs 505 at 7 yards in a pistol lane next to me for an upcoming elephant hunt. He explained legal hunts are usually getting rid of a trouble maker and he was expecting to be up close in heavy brush. The loads were heavy, intended to penetrate the skull.

Most of the pistol shooters seem to have their targets at a distance that most of the shots are on paper. Whatever distance that is for them.

Gibbs 505 next to a 12ga shell. LOL
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Range.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Tactical shooting is all the rage.
    We have the same guys at the club.
    I'm not a fan, but I'm not willing to pooh pooh it.
    Start doing stupid and I'm likely to let you know.
    Also, as stated before, close sight in is needed for military sights.
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes it's just fun to do as you want at the range, as long as it's safe. There's no set rules that a person has to shoot a rifle at 100 yards, and a pistol or revolver at 25 .

When I'm shooting mouse fart loads to fire form brass it's usually at a 50 yard target. I've been known to shoot my SRH .44mag @ 150 yards at steel just because......

I shoot to have fun, not to please onlookers.
    As long as it's safety first.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Can't speak for anyone else,that would be best approached by asking?

But,if you are a serious hunter,you probably should spend some time on offhand close work. I've killed several deer inside of 50 feet. Throw in smaller than perfect shot windows and without "knowing" what you and the rig is capable of,a mess can be made pretty quickly. Further,not just large game..... head shooting small game for the pot with CB's is,or can be up close and tough too. I practice offhand with a rifle a decent amount around 25 yards. Not into AR's so can't comment on them.

That's a very good point shopdog. My first deer was at 30 yards off hand and quick with my winchester 94 30-30.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I ran into a fellow at the range sighting in a Gibbs 505 at 7 yards in a pistol lane next to me for an upcoming elephant hunt. He explained legal hunts are usually getting rid of a trouble maker and he was expecting to be up close in heavy brush. The loads were heavy, intended to penetrate the skull.

Most of the pistol shooters seem to have their targets at a distance that most of the shots are on paper. Whatever distance that is for them.

Gibbs 505 next to a 12ga shell. LOL
    That case alone would leave a bruise when ejected.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

At my club there is a real safety hazard shooting CF rifles within 30 to 40 yards of the soil backstop. The backstop soil is mostly donated dirt from sewer and water line repairs. Along with the dirt is a lot of bricks, blocks, pavement, concrete and the odd piece of metal. On occassion a bullet will hit something hard and return to sender.

BB

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Close targets have no fun for me. We had a company range day, and the boss came over to see what my old shooting buddy and I were shooting at with our revolvers. He had been shooting at seven yards, and couldn't figure out what our target was. We were using an empty .22 box at 100 yards. He said **, so we proceeded to show him what we could do. He just shook his head and went back to his 7 yard targets.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

No public ranges out here in God's country, so I have no idea what weird/abnormal/stupid things other shooters do.

I start sighting in rifles at 50yds, then out to 100yds. Pistols get sighted in and shot at 25yds for load development and accuracy testing, then shot fast at 7yds for defense drills and practice.

I shoot at either my dad's range, with an indoor bench and targets from 25yds to 300yds...

Attachment 242452

Or at the cabin with a bunch of short range targets out to 25yds...

Attachment 242453

I could see a Mini-14 being shot at 15yds. I had one that couldn't hit a pie plate past that distance...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I don't participate but our club runs regular 3-gun 'tactical' matches where the FARTHEST rifle target is 80 yards. I've watched some of those guys with $2000 guns who, shooting off-hand, could barely keep half their rounds on a B21 target at 50 yards. And, when I say, 'on target', I mean on the actual silhouette itself not the 'critical mass' zone!!

To each his own, I guess...

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    I believe anyone shooting and practicing, is a good thing, as so many things are being lost, in this day in age. If it is safe, I don't say, or think, anything. As many people we can keep shooting, is more on our side, in the fight to have rights to keep shooting.

Boolit Master

the real question is, why do people worry so much about how others enjoy themselves?

Moderator Emeritus

I believe you should never shoot an an animal at a range you have not put on paper. I have heard of too many times someone followed a blood trail from a 10 foot shot that they tried to shoot a deer directly under their tree stand. With a scoped rifle you are usually 2 1/2" low at that range. That is enough to break a jaw but not hit the brain.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I was at a public range and a guy rolled in with a h&k 308 rifle. He had a new steel gong in the wrapper. It was about 8" diameter. He set it up at about 10 yards. That is when I left.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast