RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Firing Rifles at Very Close Targets Question

Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    as long as they are safe, and arent affecting anybody, it really doesnt matter why. im sure they have their reasons.
    The problem here is that the center mass shots are NOT hitting the berm. Just look at the angle.
    Who knows where the bullets are winding up?
    That is not the least bit safe and certainly DOES affect others....wherever those bullets land NOT in the berm.
    That kind of shooting is careless and reckless.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Master
    Offhand looks to be landing at the base of the berm. Shooting from the bench looks to be near the top of the berm with head shots.

Boolit Buddy
    I try to go to the range Monday thru Thursday and no government holidays. I don't understand the shooting an ar15 at the 25 yard as fast as they can pull the trigger. One day at the range a guy shows decked out in tactical gear don't get it but ok. He puts up human like target at 100 yards and starting banging away gave a new meaning to spray and pray. I am kind of glad I don't understand his thought process. what is most enjoyable to is me shooting tight groups with a lever action and leaving them wondering how I did it.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I see this all the time to . I will use the 25 yrd range when installing a new scope or sights just to check that i am close. But i see people set there the whole time popping off rounds at a leisurely pace then bragging when all hit the target. I just say yea thats something. I use the 7 to 15 yard range to practice with my carry gun. This is rapid fire with little use of sights as long as i keep them center mass i am good with that. I do this because thats pretty much what most people do in a stress situation and hope that if i ever have to defend me or mine i will go with what i practice. Now the 25 and 50 yard range is to see how good i can still shoot a pistol and with my eyes it ain't all that good anymore. The longest range we have is 100 yards and it stays kinda busy so sometimes you just have to use the 50 yard for rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Kind of like people shooting pistol at a whopping 7 yards.
    Is it? Self defense pistols are practiced with at close range, not 50 yards.
    The first Cowboy Action match I attended, i laughed out loud when i saw how close the rifle targets were.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Offhand looks to be landing at the base of the berm. Shooting from the bench looks to be near the top of the berm with head shots.
    yup, just draw a line down the barrel, and you can see it.

Boolit Master
    First, they are shooting, that's a good thing. How do you judge? I have my own range, capable of a 1000 yards plus. Mostly do 100 and 200, walking back and forth to check targets(exercise). How fast you go can make a differenc. Start a timer and see how fast you can knock down 3" chunks of wood at speed, offhand, running 5 shots as fast as you can work the action or just pull the trigger at 25 yards. A different skill set than s l o w l y shooting a 3 shot group at 100 yards from a benchrest, probably requires more muscle control and skill. Sitting at bench shooting is different than shooting without support. Kneel and fire 5 shots for group at 100 or 150 or 200 yards, just stand and shoot five at 100 yards in under 10 seconds. My wife and I run 25 - 50 - 100 yard drills, 5" targets 2 shots each for time. Makes things interesting, great hunting/gun handling practice. Sitting at a bench is not the only skill on the range. On the other side of 100 yards weather becomes the enemy, wind mostly, can be really annoying here in Wyoming. There are many practical reasons to shoot close-in.

Many times I practice quick shots on multiple targets inside 25 yards with my winchester 94. If I ever have a chance to get a 2 for on close running deer, I want to be ready.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Many times I practice quick shots on multiple targets inside 25 yards with my winchester 94. If I ever have a chance to get a 2 for on close running deer, I want to be ready.
    dont let some of these guys see you, they'll start a thread about you! LOL

yup, just draw a line down the barrel, and you can see it.
    Maybe you should check your ruler.
    His offhand center mass shots are 20-30 yards short of the berm.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

dont let some of these guys see you, they'll start a thread about you! LOL
    I know it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    Kind of like people shooting pistol at a whopping 7 yards.
    This is a requirement for most law enforcement training, we also shot at 2 yards and remember the old slow fire was at a smaller target just 25 feet.
    Last edited by SSGOldfart; 05-28-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Small keyboard and large fingers
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I've seen bunches of videos of 3 gun and ipsc and idpa where the bullet doesn't impact the berm but lands in front of it. IMO as long as it doesn't bounce off a rock or piece of steel and leave the range it's OK.

Boolit Master
    The berm at my range is 200 yards away and whenever I have a chance to watch these guys doin' their thang I always see hits on the ground or near the base of that berm at worst. At 0-50 yards there's little to no elevation needed; the bullets are being launched pretty near horizontal for head shots and at a slight downward angle for center-of-mass targets. Call those guys whatever you want but they're no more dangerous than anyone else out there, just makin' holes in the dirt.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    maybe you should look at where the barrel is actually pointing, instead of you guessing about him shooting center mass.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Four-Sixty View Post
    In all seriousness, why do I see so many people shooting their rifles at targets that are so close to them.
    Are they doing timed drills or similar?

That I would understand,a scoped rifle can be difficult at close range. I have side-mounted an Aimpoint to my long range rifle scope base because of the 6-24x scope.

Much faster up close but takes some practise. Like everything.

Boolit Master
    Everybody is different, I don't care what range they are shooting at, as long as they ain't shootin at me! Once I had to call out a fellow with a steel target that him and his daughter was shooting at close range with 22 pistols, and me and a buddy were getting lead splattered back at us, which hurts like hell! We asked him to move it out to 25yds, and he claimed they couldn't hit it at that range, well, I told him I was tired of getting shot, so he'd better learn! Anyway I like to use milk jugs full of water for off hand shooting with rifles, at various yardages to practice for deer hunting. I figure if I can hit a jug offhand at a 100yds, I'm doing good, cause average shots on deer are 25-80yds. It's impressive when a frozen jug is shot at 50yds with a high power rifle!

Close range shooting is practice to repelling an attacker in your home. Rapid fire at close range. Its the only reason to own a firearm for many people.

They don't hunt or target shoot. The gun is for protection only.

I think this is the reason my club range get little use with 1500 members. Some fire the gun 1 time a year, if that.

Then there is the old half blind guy that just wants to shoot his curio and relics. Can't hit the broad side of the barn. So the extra large target is moved closer. And 50 yards is to far to walk.

Boolit Master

As long as they're safe, all we can do is either observe & let 'em be or just ask...if they're new to the sport, encourage them...if they got eyes or sighting issues, lend a hand...if practicing for cqb or other tactical purposes, observe as we may even learn...worst we can do is to be condescending, like mocking people who shoots 7-yd targets...

Boolit Master
    As long as they are safe, it does not matter if it's 1 foot or 2000 yards. At least they are shooting. Not everyone is a bench rest shooter or a shot gunner.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast