Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wet Tumbler Recommendations ?

Boolit Man

Wet Tumbler Recommendations ?

Looking to start wet tumbling with stainless pins & looking for opinions on who makes "the-best overall".

I had found a good thread somewhere here but just can't seem to find it now.

I shoot mainly Black Powder cartridge in Cowboy Action & over time the build up is enough to require primer pocket cleaning.
    (currently dry tumble in a large Dillon)

I see a bunch of folks use Frankfort Arsenal but am wondering if that is the answer or if there is something that might cost a little more but...

built better, maybe last longer, motor etc.

hold more cases (mainly 44-40 Winchester)

or have other better features.

Frankfort Arsenal ?
    Thumbler Extreme Rebel?

Pros- cons- others-betters????
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    Buy a lortone, Thumler or Diamond pacific . they last forever. no plastic, no junk.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

Boolit Master
    Isn’t STM a sponsor? I have one, it turns more slowly than the FART and is much quieter. More capacity, so gets more done more quickly and quietly. I think they have 17lb and 45lb drums.

Boolit Master

I've had a Thumblers Tumbler B for decades and it is still running strong. When I started shooting BPCR I found that the ceramic media worked much better than the STM stainless pins in removing black powder fouling. The STM pins tended to make the brass clean, but a dark brown color that never happens with the ceramic.

Boolit Master
    Happy with my Thumler's, too. I have a couple of Lortones for polishing agates and they are the berries for that.

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    Frankfort Arsenal for two years now, not a problem or complaint. Just my .02
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Buddy
    5 years with the Frankfort Arsenal and still using the same pins it came with 25 k a year average brass cleaned and works like the day I got it, Im sure you will sell your dry tumblers once you start using wet system

Boolit Buddy
    Frankford Arsenal.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Forty plus years on a Model B Thumbler......

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I have forty plus years on a Model B Thumler's Tumbler also.

Boolit Master
    I liked my RCBS till the plastic driven wheels wore slick. Get a thumblers.

Banned

FART rightly gets great reviews
    Other good options
    I like my FART

Been using the Frankfort Arsenal for a year and NO problems. I love the way the brass come's out!

Banned
    I like to DIY so I made my own. There are several designs and plans around CB and Youtube

Moderator Emeritus

I stalled and stalled and stalled -- til I one day said "chuck it -- I'm gonna' have me one of those wet pin tumblers." I found a package at Buffalo Arms -- Thumlers Model B, with stainless pins -- and have never looked back! I do believe I on occasion I do overload mine a bit, and reading many post re short belt life invested in two spare/extra drive belts. It's been many years, and many thousand cases cleaned -- and the original belt is still on it! The only "addition" -- primarily because I'm admittedly a tad OCD -- I bought an extra bag of pins -- those little devils do slowly seem to disappear -- but haven't used more than a tablespoon full or two. The Thumlers has my highest recommendation!
    geo

Boolit Buddy
    How does everyone handle the pins after tumbling?

I dump the brass into a hand turned (sifter) previously used to clean the walnut media out of the cleaned brass. That sits on a 5/6 gallon bucket. Pins and water goes to the bottom. On the side of the bucket I taped two straight magnets to the side. As I dump the water out the pins stick to the magnets. After that I just let them dry in the bucket. To move them after drying I bought the magnet handler from FA that allows you to pick them up and move them to the bag they came in.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I bought a Lortone from Paul Jones in 1980. The price was high then & they're high now, but I've never regretted that purchase. It's on the 2nd. belt. It just keeps on going.

Boolit Buddy
    Model B Thumler's Tumbler!! After cleaning I use two plastic trays from the 99 cent store to separate the pins. The top tray is a flat bottom strainer, the bottom holds water above the cases. I swish the media/cases around till all the pins fall into the lower tray. I have over loaded my Tumbler several times and it hasn't failed yet.

Boolit Master
    Not saying there is not a better way but I use this case sorter / media separator and assorted magnets. To collect. The pins.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/shoo...9.uts?slotId=2
    I do a series of rinses in the frankford Arsenal tumbler tub pouring the dirty water carefully into a 5 gal bucket when it is coming out clean pour pins and cases into the separator and it will spin out about 95% of the pins , the cases then get swished around in another rinse with the. ArmourAll rinse and shine as recommended here to help preserve the shine and they seem to run better trough a carbide sizer with the trace of wax left on them and most of the remaining pins will be in the bottom of the final rinse bucket pour out on a towel grab all four corners and roll them around to dry the outside spread and leave over night or warm with a blow dryer to finish . I start with deprimed brass.
    The case sorter works pretty well to separate 9 ,40 and 45 that are mixed when brought home.

Boolit Master

I much prefer my Tumbler Tumbler over a vibratory cleaner. Would never switch back.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast