Inline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A new thread about field "kits"

I've gotten so I like the plastic ammo cans. I have the 30 cal size, and the Fat 50 size.
    I like both. I'm not so keen on the regular 50 cal.
    I use them for ammo storage of course. I have one with a 12 amp/hour battery I use in my boat to power the sonar units.
    I live out in the country and have mouse issues. I store stuff I don't want mice getting into.
    I think a can ox this sort would work for what you want to do.
    Some of the fancier ones have trays inside as well as storage compartments built into the lids.
    They are not as heavy as steel cans. I have some of those in the fat 50 for ammo.
    Leo

Boolit Grand Master
    I thought that just for grins and giggles I’d reopen this thread. Keep in mind that it has become somewhat bifurcated into its original intent (think “loading a single caliber from your saddle bag”) to being able to load anything out of the valise being hauled for you by the second bearer (behind your gun bearer.)

I’m ready to mock up a container for my old steel handle 310 tool and dies in 44-40. It will carry 100 loaded rounds, a loading block, 1# cans of BP and COW, 200 primers and pre-lubed bullets, and dedicated dippers for powder and filler. I think I can fit this into a manageable sized box or bag to take out to N-SSA events.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I can picture the tools in a waxed cloth tool roll, the bullets in a cloth bag, the primers in a tin, powder in the can and all in a saddle bag.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

I remember from years ago, in bunkhouses or hung on a tree limb at old campsites, various items of hardware stuffed in the top (tube) part of an old cowboy boot that had the foot part cut off and then riveted or stitched to close the bottom. Usually had some fencing or shoeing stuff in them. The same thing would work and be about the right size for a caliber specific loading kit. And be "period correct" if that was a concern.

Boolit Master
    Green frog, have you thought about the ideal combo tool? Wrap a little leather around the handles and there you are. One tool that does it all.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by psweigle View Post
    Green frog, have you thought about the ideal combo tool? Wrap a little leather around the handles and there you are. One tool that does it all.
    There are limits I won’t exceed for my fun... I want wood between me and any metal getting hot enough to work with molten lead. I’ve tried the “romance” of casting by the campfire and I’d rather bring along a guitar and learn to play and sing county tunes instead.

By the time you add a cast iron pot, several ingots of lead, and whatever sizing and lubing stuff is needed, the package starts getting unwieldy again... a small, densely packed box of bullets, ready to load, fits my concept better. Now if we’re talking about a setup for long term use, you’re probably on to something. I’d have to change all the parameters of my kit for a long time prep.

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I can see your point! Just a thought.

Banned
    But do we want to listen????

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    But do we want to listen????
    Better than listening to my screams of agony from burning my hands and other favorite (or at least well-liked) body parts. I have spent a lot of time around campfires over the years, and I just don't have any desire left for campfire activities that don't involve hot dogs, or marshmallows with chocolate bars and graham crackers, or even singing. Like I said, there are limits to even my romanticism.

Froggie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12