Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Free Floating a Remington SPS Plastic Stock

Boolit Master

Free Floating a Remington SPS Plastic Stock

I got a Remington ADL SPS in 223 from a pawn shop for about $300.
    I like the barrels to be free floated so I started by removing the little bumps in the front of the stock, tested and repeated about 3 or 4 times to no avail!
    I put it in my mill and removed another .060” and a piece of printer paper now clears all of the way to the recoil lug.
    I have never had to do that with any other 700!

Boolit Master

reminturd over the years has built many models of the 700 with pressure points in the stock.

Boolit Master
    Was the stock flexing possibly? It could be when you put it in the mill that stopped the flex so you were able to remove the necessary amount of material. As far as pressure points go all the 700's have them except for the varmint synthetic and that's because they put an H S Precision stock on that one.

Sometimes Tupperware requires a different approach. This old Savage 243 benefited from a lot of electrical tape.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    Was the stock flexing possibly? It could be when you put it in the mill that stopped the flex so you were able to remove the necessary amount of material. As far as pressure points go all the 700's have them except for the varmint synthetic and that's because they put an H S Precision stock on that one.
    I was using a Dremel tool in my hands and concentrating on the tip of the stock where they usually put the pressure points.
    I had to remove material from all of the ribs all the way to the recoil lug.
    I have an old wooden stock I may try if I can find it!

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico
    I had to do the same thing to my ‘06 Remington 700. Plastic stock and all that. Went from shooting patterns to a true 1” or less gun with jacketed loads!! Just part of tuning in my opinion.

Oh, and a trigger adjustment on that horrible trigger!! Man, it was brutal to try and shoot with out jerking it!!
    Talk about trying to drag a bag of rocks over gravel road!! Jeez, set the trigger already! Back on subject.
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master

Bud, the trigger is a little heavy but crisp, no slack. I may lighten it a little.

Boolit Master
    I didn't realize the sps stocks were set up that way but I would have done the same thing you have. About 10 years ago I had a 700 adl synthetic in .222 rem (standard barrel contour) and I floated it by putting shims made from business cards under the front of the action. Its a trick I learned a long time ago from a guy who's a 700 guru/nut. O boy could he do a trigger job on a factory 40x or 700 trigger.

Boolit Master
    I have an older Savage 110FP with the heavy barrel in 308. Has the rynite plastic stock. Could never get a decent group. Under the front receiver ring are small compartments with dividers. Cut them down with a dremel and literally packed the compartments wit acra glass gel. And took a couple freezer bags filled with lead shot. and stuffed the compartment under the buttpad. 10 shots 1" @100yds. Then noticed the same front receiver screw was chewing up the plastic. So made up a bushing from some stainless steel and glassed that in place. Accuracy still very good. Think I paid about $265 for it about 23 years ago. Does shoot very well with the M118 with the 168 Sierra matchking. Haven't tried the 175 grain MK yet. Frank.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 1Hawkeye View Post
    I didn't realize the sps stocks were set up that way but I would have done the same thing you have. About 10 years ago I had a 700 adl synthetic in .222 rem (standard barrel contour) and I floated it by putting shims made from business cards under the front of the action. Its a trick I learned a long time ago from a guy who's a 700 guru/nut. O boy could he do a trigger job on a factory 40x or 700 trigger.
    I put a piece of cardboard equivalent to about 3 business cards in front of the recoil lug and it didn’t work!

Boolit Master
    I traded for a Rem 700 in 350 Rem mag on which some one had installed a cheap plastic stock. It shot 6" to 8" patterns at 100yds. Found the stock to be not straight and pushing on the barrel on one side. I free floated it which dropped the patterns to about 2". I then put a few layers of plastic tape at the front of the stock to put some pressure on the bottom of the barrel. This dropped the patterns to 5/8" to 3/4" groups. Someone had bedded the action and left the stock pushing on the side of the barrel. Wierd.

Anyone who says plastic stocks are inert hasn't left one on the truck dash in August in Texas. I believe I will put wood on the 110 above. I have a Tikka factory syn stock and it is fine- must be a different polymer.

Boolit Master
    Agreed, plastic stocks may keep the cost down, the weight down,and take a lot of abuse but you just can't beat a pretty piece of wood. Unless something is really wrong wood stays put.

I'm curious,seriously..... why would you leave a stock on a dash?

Quote Originally Posted by Shopdog View Post
    I'm curious,seriously..... why would you leave a stock on a dash?
    It is common practice on farms and ranches to carry a rifle on the dash with the muzzle pointing to the left so you can get off a quick shot at coyotes or feral pigs.
    It is legal to shoot from a vehicle on private land in Texas at least. This only applies to hard use beater guns of course. You put them down behind the seat when you go into town for lunch or other business.

Gotcha.