RepackboxRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 311284 in 308 Winchester

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Larry what other molds of boolits would work in the 308 Win? for you show what happened to long base in the case.
    Obviously I'm not Larry but I have been shooting a lot of cast bullets in 308s lately along with several friends. We are very satisfied with the Lee 312-155-2R and the 30 XCB moulds. Sized at .311"checked, bottom groove only lubed and after tumbled in BLL.

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyDuke View Post
    Obviously I'm not Larry but I have been shooting a lot of cast bullets in 308s lately along with several friends. We are very satisfied with the Lee 312-155-2R and the 30 XCB moulds. Sized at .311"checked, bottom groove only lubed and after tumbled in BLL.
    Ok thank you .I been doing what Larry had stated that I do for the 308 win and after he show what happened when the boolit is too long made me do some thinking to not have that happened anymore .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by trapper9260 View Post
    Larry what other molds of boolits would work in the 308 Win? for you show what happened to long base in the case.
    My preferred mould/bullet for the .308 and several other 30 cal cartridges has become the NOE 30 XCB (310-165-FN). It has proven to be very versatile in velocity range and accurate out to 600 yards. As I was out of my "match select" XCBs and needing to cast some more on Monday I shot up the last of my "fouler/sighter" 308Ws I had loaded for my Match M70. I managed 3 sub or moa ten shot groups with them. Load was 23 gr RL7 w/Dacron filler running at 1980 fps. My second choice for 100 yard match level accuracy is the Lyman/Loverin 311466 (NOE makes that one also) or the RCBD 308-165-Sil.

Other moulds of 150 gr or more that I've used with very good success in the .308W over the years are the Lee C312-155-2R, the CTL312-160-2R and the C312-185-1R is proving to be a better Lee mould choice.

The MP 311-1655 and MP 311-180s also are excellent .308W cast bullet though I do not like the moulds in brass but prefer the aluminum blocks.

The other Lyman Moulds I've used with excellent results are the 311299 and the 314299 (in worn throats) and NOE also make replica of those.

Bottom line, for target/accuracy shooting I highly recommend the NOE 310-165-FN XCB bullet.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    The magazine is the restriction point for OAL. You can nose size the slugs so they chamber easy however long they are.
    But to much in the case is the issue. Our 1906 Mauser rebarreled by Israel about 1948-50 was once a 7mm. The 7x57 cartridge is longer than the 308 so cast can be set out a ways.. you just have to experiment.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    My preferred mould/bullet for the .308 and several other 30 cal cartridges has become the NOE 30 XCB (310-165-FN). It has proven to be very versatile in velocity range and accurate out to 600 yards. As I was out of my "match select" XCBs and needing to cast some more on Monday I shot up the last of my "fouler/sighter" 308Ws I had loaded for my Match M70. I managed 3 sub or moa ten shot groups with them. Load was 23 gr RL7 w/Dacron filler running at 1980 fps. My second choice for 100 yard match level accuracy is the Lyman/Loverin 311466 (NOE makes that one also) or the RCBD 308-165-Sil.

Other moulds of 150 gr or more that I've used with very good success in the .308W over the years are the Lee C312-155-2R, the CTL312-160-2R and the C312-185-1R is proving to be a better Lee mould choice.

The MP 311-1655 and MP 311-180s also are excellent .308W cast bullet though I do not like the moulds in brass but prefer the aluminum blocks.

The other Lyman Moulds I've used with excellent results are the 311299 and the 314299 (in worn throats) and NOE also make replica of those.

Bottom line, for target/accuracy shooting I highly recommend the NOE 310-165-FN XCB bullet.
    Thank you Larry for take the time to explain and how it works. The adventure gose on now. I also was thinking to help others that would like to know, like me and for what the OP was asking

Boolit Mold
    Has anyone tried the NOE 311-199-SP-K5 gas check bullets from the 308 rifles? Did it do well at long distances? Was there a difference with bullet sizing? What is the preferred sizing die for something like an AR rifle? The unsized bullet as loaded in the casing as DUMMY Cartridge will chamber in the AR allowing the BCG to fully go into battery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG-0142.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	81.7 KB 
ID:	247635
    Last edited by _The_Shadow; 09-01-2019 at 03:53 PM. Reason: added info

It's hard to argue with that pic Larry posted. I imagine that's what the shank of my bullets look like when I notice alloy blowing back on the neck of the case. The only other short neck 30 I have is the 7.5X55, 168gr Eagan bullet is what works best in it. It's similar to the RCBS 165.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

I have some 308win in semi auto with 2 different barrels and a bolt . I know ,I can do more with the bolt for what I like and the semi I know I have some limits ,just wanted to make sure I use the right boolits to work the best. I glad that Larry show the different of the same boolits in 2 different rounds. I know he puts alot of work into it all, also he willing to help and explain for some of us to understand better. I glad we have people like him on here, also Outpost he helps me in the past too and explain also. There is others on here willing to do the same , thank you all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12