Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2

Thread: 311284 in 308 Winchester

311284 in 308 Winchester

I've just been given 308 dies and want to shoot a friend's Israeli Mauser in 308. Do you think the 311284 is too big for the 308 cartridge? A good portion of the boolit will be below the neck. Is this of concern?

Boolit Master
    I still have such a mould but haven't used it in a long time. I tried the bullet with several powders in a Ruger 77V that is an accurate cast bullet rifle. My notes indicate an OAL of 2.70" with this bullet in the Ruger, so I will assume the bullet base was well below the case neck. I have not found a bullet seated below the case neck to cause any sort of problem as long as the gas check is crimped on.

Their is no notation of good accuracy in my records, but I've never seen #311284 shoot as well as #314299 in any .30 caliber rifle. However, since you have the mould available, cast some bullets and give it a try. May do well in the Mauser.

Quote Originally Posted by lotech View Post
    I still have such a mould but haven't used it in a long time. I tried the bullet with several powders in a Ruger 77V that is an accurate cast bullet rifle. My notes indicate an OAL of 2.70" with this bullet in the Ruger, so I will assume the bullet base was well below the case neck. I have not found a bullet seated below the case neck to cause any sort of problem as long as the gas check is crimped on.

Their is no notation of good accuracy in my records, but I've never seen #311284 shoot as well as #314299 in any .30 caliber rifle. However, since you have the mould available, cast some bullets and give it a try. May do well in the Mauser.
    I have 311299, 311284 and 314299 as well as 311291 all cast and waiting to be loaded. Thank you for the response.

Boolit Master
    I've also used #311291 in .308, but it's been some years ago. That's another one certainly worth trying since you already have some made up.