Titan ReloadingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best lube for the heat of AZ

Banned

Best lube for the heat of AZ

Moving so now its time to consider a more heat resistant lube for a hotter climate. Any suggestions?

Boolit Master

A soap lube like SL-68B or 6/6/6/1 maybe even Felix Lube. Thats what i use for the Florida heat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Carnauba Red works for me.

Moderator Emeritus

Handling high heat is one of the things designed into SL68B, It is also easy to work with and doesn't need heat to flow through a lubesizer, even in a cold (55ºF) room. If the difficulty of procuring microwax is discouraging for you, and you consider satan's lube (666+1), You might want to add more soap to that mix, like 666+2...but that will never perform as well as SL68B.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

How about powder coating? It'll handle the heat with no problem.

Boolit Master
    SPG make a "tropical" lube now. I use it for BPC shooting in the heat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idz View Post
    How about powder coating? It'll handle the heat with no problem.
    What he said.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    What he said.
    Powder coat is not for everything. Sometimes traditional is the way to go or what you have to use.

Boolit Master
    He asked about lube. He didn’t ask about powder coat.

Boolit Buddy
    Recently I tried Lyman's orange stick lube. I was looking for something which when left in the garage when temperatures reach the 100s would not melt and leak out the bottom of the lubri-sizer. So far it has been an unseasonably cool spring, and I found the orange lube, which Lyman recommends for use with a heater, very stiff. I put a small space heater next to the lubri-sizer for a short time before use. It made the orange lube soft enough to use...but also caused leakage at the bottom of the lubrisizer. I am consoling myself that after it gets too hot to work in the garage, at least whatever orange lube is left will not leak...I hope.

Banned
    TAC-X by Randy

Boolit Master

I used 50/50 during SoCal summers for 40+yrs.

Now I use White Label Lube BAC because I ran out of my stash of Tamerack. Use the Lyman heater to get it flowing in the Winter, then unplug. In the Summer no heat is needed. Have a (1lb) can of alox and about 5lbs of pure Beeswax.
    Someday I'll melt it all together.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Banned
    I've tried making my own lube in the past and the results weren't the best so I will purchase it. I'm using a blue lube now that melts at lower temp.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I've tried making my own lube in the past and the results weren't the best so I will purchase it. I'm using a blue lube now that melts at lower temp.
    IMO LBT BLUE (not the soft) is the best over the counter lube for hot conditions.

Attachment 242443 some are no longer available.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 05-27-2019 at 09:08 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sghart3578 View Post
    TAC-X by Randy
    I've been on a Sabbatical

Good luck with your choice.
    I think it is going to be up to you on how available ingredients are to you, cost, and do you plan on shooting, storing your ammo in the heat.
    Real hot situations people say; How much beeswax should I add. In AZ people ask; How much should I add to Beeswax

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Moving so now its time to consider a more heat resistant lube for a hotter climate. Any suggestions?
    I've been using 2500+ primarily for rifle loads. Still have a small stash of Javelina I use for special loads. Have used different 50/50 lubes w/o problem also. For handgun I use BAC. I have a 450 lubrasizer for each so the 3 different lubes aren't a problem. The first few years here in western AZ it would get 95" degrees in my garage for a couple months. I really didn't have any problems with the lube melting out of the lubrasizers. I lube the bullets and stand them in small boxes so if loading during the hot times I'd keep the lubed bullets in a refrigerator I have in the garage or you can put them in the freezer for an hour prior to loading. A couple years ago I had AC put in the garage (it's also my "man cave") and keep it at 78 degrees. No problems at all now and I store sized/lubed bullets under my bench now.

As to accuracy and/or leading problems in 90 - 120+ degrees......haven't had a problems that are heat related with the lubes mentioned. Nothing but excellent performance.

BTW; I've not had to use a lubrasizer heater since moving here........ Also not all of Arizona is flat desert. We have a lot of mountains, especially Northern Arizona a lot of which is at 5000+ elevation. There is winder up there with lots of snow.......and cold.......
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 05-27-2019 at 07:15 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Super Moderator

I use WL 2500+ for just about everything now. It seems to be a good "all around" lube for Arizona.

Banned
    6lbs of Beeswax = $24.00
    6lbs of cheap petroleum jelly= $18
    6lbs of canning wax= $18
    1lB Ivory Soap = $3 or $4 (wasn't really paying attention, had her pick it up with the groceries)

About 202 commercial lube sticks worth of pretty great lube at less than .35 cents a stick for a few hours of my time and a little effort on my part. At current use that is about 10 to 15 maybe even 20 years worth of bullet lube. FWIW, I did not actually make it into sticks. I just made it into mid sized muffins and gently melt one in small sauce pan over direct flame on her stove top and dump it into the back of the sizer when I need it. I shoot it in everything from subsonic 25-35 cartridges all the way up to the jacketed speed 25, 30, and 8mm's. No heat required for the sizer even in an air conditioned 70 degree room and it works great even in weather that makes me think twice about going to the range.

I know he just added soap to an existing and very vintage recipe, but I am forever in debt to the man that came up with and posted that recipe here for me to follow. I will never pay $2.50 to $6 for a stick of anything ever again. My $.35 cent sticks serve me just as well or even better, so THANK YOU KIND SIR

I make the old NRA lube with ATF and mix it to how think you like it to be.If put it thin you need no lube heater or you make it thick then you need a lube heater. I use it for all my rifle and hang gun cast loads.No leading also.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast