Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataInline Fabrication
Repackbox Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best lube for the heat of AZ

Boolit Master
    If I were restricted to only using one lube for everything it would be the 666+1 formula. If I lived in a cold climate I might not even add the soap, or add less.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

I have been a lubaholic since I was kid back in the 50's. Reading the old Forrest and Streams and the NRA as well as what Pope used to write. I mostly shot black powder as well as mostly cast bullets and the wax carrier was always B-Wax and it works just fine with what ever you wanted to mix with it. But in later life after retirement and the Kids left the roost I started shooting BPCR matches and I found the lubes I was using in the past that work just fine from home to the range did not hold up during long trips of several days and weeks at the range in temperatures ranging up into the upper 90's plus I needed a carrier that would hold up in the truck at camp and on line and B wax did not stand up with the temp getting up way over 100 in cases and this made me look for a carrier and things that will hold up in a environment of high temp. I switched from B-Wax to Ozokerite because of the high melting point and absorption quality it has. (I will call it OZ wax) OZ is used for cosmetics and if you look at the lipstick your Wife of Girlfriend carries in her purse you will find that it does not melt and stays soft this made me look for what they use for a carrier.
    OZ comes in several grades and it is worth the time to do some research for the grade that works best for the use for lube.
    Yes it's a mineral wax, I call it dirt wax, and don't let this stop you from using it with black powder. A lot of stuff you read on the internet about tar problems with black powder is bunk.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkins45 View Post
    If I were restricted to only using one lube for everything it would be the 666+1 formula. If I lived in a cold climate I might not even add the soap, or add less.
    This forum truly needs a like button. I have more exotic, expensive, and complicated lubes on my shelf but I could fill the rest of my days with just this one lube recipe and be totally copesetic. It's easy to get the parts to make it, it is cheap, and it is simple to make, and best of all it just plain works very well.

I currently have 3 versions of the 666+1 lube. Standard 666+1, 766+1 (extra beeswax), and the old magazine/NRA version with no soap.

The extra beeswax version is for driving the guts out of the smaller bore rifle loads in warm weather. The standard version covers 99% of everything else. I use it for both panlube and in the sizer. The no soap version is preferred by a slightly cantankerous 45/70 and my black powder full bore conical bullets. The plus soap version works in the bp guns too. I just choose the no soap version as it pops from the pan lubing tray ever slightly better than the soap version. The soaped version does clean up a bit better with Ballistol and water after playtime is over however.

Not sure why, but I have never had an issue reheating it many times as some have reported, so I do not know what all that is about. My current Pyrex cup of standard SATAN 666+1 lube as posted here in the recipe area has been re heated close to two dozen times if not more. It does get a bit darker with each heating, but performance wise it is the same or slightly better with each trip to the microwave. I only nuke it to the thin gravy stage however. I will admit that a time or two from my inattention it has made it to the full liquid stage with nary an issue though.

What I use in Florida

LBT Soft Blue works well for me even when left in the truck all day-as today.

When I lived in AZ: 2 parts beeswax/ one part vaseline, 1oz Lee's alox.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Aunegl View Post
    When I lived in AZ: 2 parts beeswax/ one part vaseline, 1oz Lee's alox.
    Aunegl, maybe I'm missing something? but how much is one part in reference to 1oz ?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

2 lbs - beeswax/ 1lb vaseline + 1oz alox. I would get a lube star after the twentieth target (pig). I used to shoot in Phoenix and Tucson.
    Last edited by Aunegl; 06-13-2019 at 06:41 PM.

Boolit Master

I’ve been using TAC-X in southeast NM for about 3 years. Typically the summer temp is 100-110 but sometimes it gets hot. The only time the lube is exposed to the high temperatures is when the ammo is being used. My reloading room is well insulated but only air conditioned when I’m using it. With the cool nighttime temperatures the room seldom gets over 85 degrees even if I don’t use it for several days. The TAC-X holds up well in my conditions.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12