Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky

Thread: Sweet, Sticky, Spicy, Smoky, True Southern BBQ Ribs!

Vendor Sponsor

Sweet, Sticky, Spicy, Smoky, True Southern BBQ Ribs!

Walmart sells Smithfield Baby Back ribs, says Extra Meaty and Extra Tender on the front. VERY good choice for dinner!!!

I quit using commercial rubs, they are all too salty! Here is the rub I use, it is SO simple you will LOL..

Mix equal parts Cinnamon, Curry Powder, and Cayenne Pepper! That's IT! I grow African Blue Basil, and I dry it, then crumble and sprinkle it liberally on ribs (AFTER you pull the membrane OFF!) then sprinkle on my 3 part rib rub and I cook on a Traeger wood pellet grill (300F - 325F) for 2 1/2 - 3hrs until toothpick goes smoothly all the way through between the bones.

Cut heat back (180F - 200F) and slather on Sweet Baby Ray's original BBQ sauce and cook at low temp until thick and caramelized. Voila!! You are DONE!! This is Sweet, Sticky, Smoky, Spicy, True Southern BBQ. Enjoy! 😁

Serve with Cornbread, plenty of Tater Salad, Corn on the Cob, Baked Beans, Sweet Tea, Peach Cobbler or Nanna Puddin' for dessert!!

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Moderator Emeritus

I do not care for those Smithfield ribs, injected with a LOT of salt water and they end up tasting hammy...

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    I do not care for those Smithfield ribs, injected with a LOT of salt water and they end up tasting hammy...
    These sure don't! Time I get done with them ham isn't something I am tasting at all.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Grand Master
    Made ribs yesterday with my early Fathers Day present going by your above directions. Cooked just a bit too long and dried out a little, but still very good. Had leftovers so had Ribs today too!!

Banned
    Pressure cooker to cook my ribs followed by barby sauce and a warming on the grill. Just enough to caramelize the sauce.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    Made ribs yesterday with my early Fathers Day present going by your above directions. Cooked just a bit too long and dried out a little, but still very good. Had leftovers so had Ribs today too!!
    And I wasn't invited over ?

By they way ... what is "Nanna Pudding"? Banana Pudding or a family pudding that your Nanna (grandmother) used to make?
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Master

Very nice. I've got a chunk of skin on pork belly I'm going to smoke soon with Chinese 5 spice rub. It's got a lot of cinnamon and no salt. You might give it a try...

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Al View Post
    By they way ... what is "Nanna Pudding"? Banana Pudding or a family pudding that your Nanna (grandmother) used to make?
    Yes it's banana pudding..

Boolit Master
    A lady that I knew growing up said the best way to eat good Southern BBQ,was to sit naked in the shower when eating.Then after eating,just turn on the shower with your toe.
    Wash you and the dishes at the same time.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    Yes it's banana pudding..
    Any recipes for "Nanna Pudding" too?

Boolit Master

Doesn't walmart get all their pork from china ?
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    WalMart might, I don't know.

But according to their website, Smithfield meats are U.S. born and bred, and use only U.S.D.A. certified processing.

I get mine from the meats lab here on campus. The pigs get born, raised and processed right here.
    I might give that rub a try. I already like Sweet Baby Rays.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Smithfield hams are in the state of VA, I use to drive by the plant when I use to drive home on a 3 day off when I was in the navy from Norfolk,Va to MA back in 1979 to 1983 . Also drove by a duck wood decoy company also but not sure what state it was. it was on the same route I took.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Its not pork its road kill