Titan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Netflix Series "The War" 7 Parts, Highly Recommended Viewing!

Vendor Sponsor

Netflix Series "The War" 7 Parts, Highly Recommended Viewing!

If you have ever wondered about buying a subscription to Netflix, now would be the time to do it. Especially as it is Memorial Day holiday weekend.

Ken Burns series covers WWII in great detail, the series chronicles life in 4 American cities from the small town one cinema one stoplight to the big cities, it features interviews with veterans and their families and digs into the subject matter from a very human and heartfelt angle. Of course there is battle footage, some of the photos and footage is very hard to watch but he doesn't sugar coat any of it. He lays it out like it really was.

This series alone is well worth the $9.99 price for a month of Netflix, you can cancel afterwards if you like.

Remembering on the home front today WHY we observe Memorial Day, the land of the free is just that, because of the brave.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I've been on Netflix for a couple of years now. There are a number of REALLY good documentaries on there if you just dig deep enough to find them ...
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

I have to put that on my list. I just watched Ken Burns’ Civil War documentary and it was superb.

Boolit Master
    Since I lived through WWII I remember well how it was on the home front. Almost everything was rationed. Even bubble gum. The small store near my home didn't care about rationing gum, he would sell us kids all the bubble gum we had pennies to pay for it. I became very popular at school, even with the girls. Each one of us had a ration book and if I wore out a pair of shoes I was out of luck till my ration book page on shoes came due. All most every home had a flag in the window indicating sons or husbands in the service. It seems everyone was involved. All movies were accompanied but footage of the war. People were seeing spies under their beds.
    Last edited by GOPHER SLAYER; 05-26-2019 at 02:44 PM.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Master
    Burns also did a series on the Vietnam War.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Things come & go on Netflix.

Check out "Empire of the Air" about early radio by Burns......if you can find it! I bought it in a 7 DVD collection. Excellent history of the 3 men that brought us radio. And opened the door to TV.

Ken Burns' Vietnam War Documentary was absolutely incredible. I loved the breadth of the interviews. Especially the North Vietnamese interviews. You rarely get that perspective.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I liked netflix but let it go when they went up on price.

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I liked netflix but let it go when they went up on price.
    Subscribe for 1 month, watch "The War" 7 parts totaling 14hrs of viewing time, then tell them to kiss it!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

And if you look close at the scenes w/ B24s in them like the ones below, they are from my dad's squadron (867th, 494th Heavy Bombardment, 7th AF).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B-24J-175-CO_Liberator_44-40686_494BG_867BS.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	242465
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks, got that noted, to watch.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rohrer View Post
    And if you look close at the scenes w/ B24s in them like the ones below, they are from my dad's squadron (867th, 494th Heavy Bombardment, 7th AF).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B-24J-175-CO_Liberator_44-40686_494BG_867BS.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	242465

My father was the belly turret gunner on a B-24 bomber. Wouldn't talk much about his service time.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the info, I love Netflix, don't like some of the liberal ** on there, but the good outweighs the bad!

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    My father was the belly turret gunner on a B-24 bomber. Wouldn't talk much about his service time.

Winelover
    I have found that those who served and saw REAL action will not talk much or at all about it. Those that brag generally saw/did nothing
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Starting watching it last night very good

I only ever heard my dad say something about the war once in an argument. If asked all he would ever say was he hoped us kids never had to go to war.

Boolit Master
    Ken Burns is a exellent director, he tells it how it is, and no bull! He also did a show on the history of the national parks, and it was great! Actually I've never seen a bad show that he's done.

Boolit Master

I got the chance to watch it with my father who went from the beach to Germany and was preparing for the trip to Japan untill the bombs were dropped. When they showed from the beach through the town of St Low [sp] Dad told me every thing that was coming next. One of the very few times he talked about it.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Well Netflix just lost me no matter the price. They just came out in support of abortion rights and against Georgia law. When will companies sell there product and stay the heck out of political arena.

Boolit Master

Netfix is dead to me, period!!