Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Warning for those buying wheel weights on ebay.

Boolit Master

Warning for those buying wheel weights on ebay.

I am on a bullet casting forum on face book. Someone on there bought a box of unprocessed wheel weights from an EBAY seller.. The seller sent him a 50 pound box full of steel clip on wheel weights. THAT'S RIGHT.......... 100% STEEL.

Banned
    I've bought lead ingots off ebay before without any problems. Can't say I would purchase unprocessed wheel weights.

Moderator Emeritus

My "introduction to eBay buying" was the purchase of a $12.95 -- best/lowest price -- of a Perfex pepper mill to replace the one my grandma had, which after too many years of use, failed. When the purchase was completed, the item cost me a total of a few pennies less than THIRTY-FIVE DOLLARS! Note a local store had them on shelves for $17.95. I had not read the fine print which, in addition to exorbitant shipping charges, a "handling" charge, sales tax exacted albeit it was NOT from my state, and in further looking noted seller did not have the best of feed-back ratings.
    I still look at this as my paying $12.95 for the item, the balance being the cost of EDUCATION! Since -- this many, many, years and purchases back -- I read the fine print; re-read the fine print; examine all photos; "ask the seller" option if I have any questions; and, check the seller's feed-back rating.
    My "education" cost me $17.05; sounds like the fellow who received steel shot also received one. However, if the item was mis-represented, PayPal generally -- at least for me -- refunds every penny to buyer, and takes it from there with seller.
    geo

Boolit Master

Did that auction specify lead wheel weights?
    NRA Benefactor.

A much as I hate PayPal & their political stance, it is important to only pay for Ebay items with PayPal. The buyer could have complained & got his money back.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Grand Master

Bet you that is what was left after the guy sorted 4 or 5 bucks of WW, then sold the steel culls to some unsuspecting caster, dirty rotten scoundrel.
    Charter Member #148

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    You can always get your money back if they aren't what is listed.

I do not look to buy WW because you just do not know what you are getting anymore. and if it is in ingots you do not know if there is zinc in the mix when they melted it down. I would not buy any WW on there. If it was printers lead and still with the letters then I would work on getting it . Like stated about Paypal I do not like them also ,but for ebay you are better off for all that is going on there. I had to use Paypal on a item I bought and did not get it and Paypal did got me my money back.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

I am always puzzled at why people buy casting lead on eBay. People are always selling it in our own swapping and selling forum. If nothing is currently being offered as WTS then posting a WTB saying what you want to buy in the way of lead is going to get a pretty quick response from someone that actually knows what they are selling and why you are buying. People who have a strong motivation to protect their reputation in this community. Not going to send steel or zinc WW's that is for sure!

Prices are fair and shipping cost is transparent on this forum. For some items such as printing lead with letters I can see going elsewhere as one is buying a know commodity and maybe the eBay price will be better, or not but at least the product will be... oh wait, eBay is where the spacer strips are always listed as "linotype" even though the alloy is often way less than linotype. Same for pewter, here it is going to be actual honest to goodness pewter. eBay? Eh, maybe yes, maybe pewtex, maybe Mexican Pewter (aluminum), maybe weighted rather than solid candlesticks.

Go look in the straight shooters & deadbeats list. Whole lot more straight shooters. Those people are not willing to piddle away a good reputation to make a few bucks on a shady deal.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    from what I was told it said "lead wheel weights"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    I am always puzzled at why people buy casting lead on eBay. People are always selling it in our own swapping and selling forum. If nothing is currently being offered as WTS then posting a WTB saying what you want to buy in the way of lead is going to get a pretty quick response from someone that actually knows what they are selling and why you are buying. People who have a strong motivation to protect their reputation in this community. Not going to send steel or zinc WW's that is for sure!

Prices are fair and shipping cost is transparent on this forum. For some items such as printing lead with letters I can see going elsewhere as one is buying a know commodity and maybe the eBay price will be better, or not but at least the product will be... oh wait, eBay is where the spacer strips are always listed as "linotype" even though the alloy is often way less than linotype. Same for pewter, here it is going to be actual honest to goodness pewter. eBay? Eh, maybe yes, maybe pewtex, maybe Mexican Pewter (aluminum), maybe weighted rather than solid candlesticks.

Go look in the straight shooters & deadbeats list. Whole lot more straight shooters. Those people are not willing to piddle away a good reputation to make a few bucks on a shady deal.
    RogerDat, this fellow is not a member of castboolits. he is an admitted newbie. But from what he told me about the whole story, the ebay ad, stated "lead wheel weights" My hopes is that he did not pay friends and family. If he did, then Like georgerkahn stated, he got a lesson.

Yeah I see the second hand nature of the first post. I'm just always surprised that people buy casting material on eBay. Hopefully they can get it straightened out. There is even a chance the seller had no clue that WW's came in any other flavor than lead. Could be an honest mistake on the sellers part. Here's hoping that is the case.

I think the newbies more than anyone gain from buying from fellow casters here. I think people here would tend to try to help a new caster get what they need to get started right. I almost always suggest skip the WW's and buy WW ingots here. Why put a successful WW sorting and smelting session between yourself and a successful bullet casting session. Just remove that hurdle and start with known good material at a better price than foundry. Besides it may well be that a softer berm lead or ISO container lead might be the better choice and people here will help new people get the right material for the intended use.

I will always pay the PayPal fee rather than do friends and family. Either sending or receiving payment. It is a business transaction. Friendly business but still business. By always going that route it eliminates any person feeling like they are being singled out. I sell and you want PP instead of USPS money order then you pay the PP fee, I'm buying then I'll pay it. I suppose there are people I know well enough that we might agree to avoid the fee, since we are actually friends, but it hasn't come up.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 05-25-2019 at 06:59 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Master
    RogerDat, I offered to sell this guy clean alloy about 3 months ago. He said he would let me know........................ yup, he let me know. He got the

Boolit Grand Master

I hope your friend can get a refund. I browse Ebay pretty often and I hardly ever see any lead, solder or Pewter at reasonable prices. And when I do see a reasonable price the shipping is usually jacked up.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I hope your friend can get a refund. I browse Ebay pretty often and I hardly ever see any lead, solder or Pewter at reasonable prices. And when I do see a reasonable price the shipping is usually jacked up.
    this is very true. And I hope this guy did not pay with friends and family.

Banned

You can't use F&F on ebay. At least I have never seen it anyway. I have sold hundreds of things on there and bought 3x as much. Only ever had one problem and Ebay sided with me.

I bought a depth finder for my boat. It was stolen off my front porch while I was at work. Well the seller said it had to be signed for if the price was over $500, it was right in bold print in his add. Well this one was close to $800. He never paid ups to have it signed for to deliver it. I watched the tracking and it was not supposed to be there that day. It was supposed to be the following day. That was why no one was home to sign for it. The seller was pissed but could not do anything as he did not follow through on his end. He tried to say ups dropped it off at my house and that that was my responsibility that it got stolen. UPS showed it WAS dropped off at my house. But like I said they just leave it if you don't pay to have it signed for.

Quote Originally Posted by triggerhappy243 View Post
    RogerDat, I offered to sell this guy clean alloy about 3 months ago. He said he would let me know........................ yup, he let me know. He got the
    Well I guess as was pointed out a learning experience. Maybe he got the steel WW's at a better price than your clean alloy?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Well I guess as was pointed out a learning experience. Maybe he got the steel WW's at a better price than your clean alloy?
    HAHAHAHAHA, NO! LOL. $67.00 for 40 pounds of steel.

Boolit Master

If I had to buy wheel weights from anywhere I would just buy alloy from rotometals. I have 3 different tire shops I frequent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

I get my alloy for my mix from rotometals also ,I get alot of my soft lead from a salvage yard.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA