WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Source for 30cal jackets

Source for 30cal jackets

Anyone have a source for 1.2"-1.4"? Realistically priced, i.e. not as much as finished bullets cost? I could use a 1000 or so. Thanks.

Used 300BO?
    Whatever!

Well, starting to build up the kit to work with 5.7. I've got a 0.305" sizer on order with Lee, and got in a Lyman 28cal neck expander yesterday. Taking it down from 0.375" sounds painful. Multiple steps needed. Keeping if from galling would be the objective. I have a few thousand 30 carbine, could size down to 8mm first, then to 0.305", maybe.

May have to go the copper tubing route.

I do a 1.4 inch jacket, 0.015 wall , But I'm in Australia, I think freight would be a killer...

As for a 1.2 I think Sierra does them, and they are not a bad price at all...

WOW, ask and you really will receive. Thank you, M.A.D! I just wiped them out of the six bags of 100 they had in stock, LOL. $15.45/100 is fair. These will keep me busy for a while!

Ive never heard anything bad about his jacket quality.. So good luck on your project

Center-X 30 cal jackets may be satisfactory for hunting and plinking. I purchased several hundred to see what they were like and found unacceptable variations in wall thickness as in 0.0004" - 0.0008" which makes them useless for anything serious.

I probably won't know the difference Just tired of seeing jackets cost as much as finished bullets. For my level of marksmanship, sorting fired cartridge cases by weight / headstamp and holding finished weight to plus/minus 0.3 grains has been adequate.

Boolit Buddy
    LOL, even at 0.3g, I guess nobody will be coming to my house.

9mm cases to 357 and 40 cal bullet and 40 S&W cases to 44 & 45 cal bullets are the way to go. I get finished weights close. But there aint no way I'm about to sort head stamps and individual weights. This hobby is FUN and I plan to leave it that way. (not trying to say anyone else's way is wrong, just not for me) I do have an idea on how to make sorting and weighing a little more quick and painless, maybe, but only ideas so far.

For 308 jackets, I am grateful for that link. For that price they are definitely worth a try. Might get me back to that 308 project I started that much sooner.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Quote Originally Posted by onomrbil View Post
    Center-X 30 cal jackets may be satisfactory for hunting and plinking. I purchased several hundred to see what they were like and found unacceptable variations in wall thickness as in 0.0004" - 0.0008" which makes them useless for anything serious.
    I might grab some Berger and Sierra Jackets and just see how close they are..