Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 1858 Remington nipple wrench

Boolit Master

1858 Remington nipple wrench

Hi,
    I just bought a used 1858 Remington Tri-L built c&b revolver and want to buy a high quality nipple wrench. I know there are lesser quality wrenches out there and I want to buy a high quality wrench that is hardened and will last me. Does anyone know of which brand of wrench to get and where to buy it. I am soaking the cylinder in a small can of Kroil just in case and will use anti seize on the threads. Thanks!
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

A quality hardened nipple wrench that fits the Remington doesn't need to be expensive.
    I've been nothing but satisfied with the RMC 063.
    They're making the handle thicker now days but it appears to still be the same wrench that's made in the USA.

Available direct from RMC or from several eBay sellers with free shipping. --->>> https://www.rmcoxyoke.com/inc/sdetai...ench/17324/236

Type> rmc nipple wrench ml063 <into the eBay search box and you'll find several sellers.

Ted Cash makes a wratcheting nipple wrench with interchageable socket heads but by using anti-seize, I've never felt it necessary to buy one.
    I like to keep it simple, and sockets can be lost.

Slixshot makes a nipple wrench but I don't know if it fits the Remington and don't use Slixshots nipples. --->>> https://www.badmanbullets.com/Online...od=SliX-Driver

I would rather have 2 or 3 RMC wrenches to have as spares instead a single one that can get misplaced when it's needed the most.
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-25-2019 at 01:58 AM.

Boolit Master
    arcticap,
    Thanks for the info. I ordered 3 of the RMC wrenches and 3 TOTW wrenches. I have the cylinder soaking in Kroil in a tuna can. I hope the nipples come out so I can clean them and use anti seize to re-install them. I don't know how tight they are as it's a used Remington and I don't have revolver wrenches, but I had trouble with a Zouave and almost gave up. Hoping for the best. I always use anti seize and it works!
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

"ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Master
    If you see my post on the 1858's my wife bought me I note I have a RMC wrench I bought this week, works great. I also made one from drill rod but that is harder than buying one.
    John

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post

Slixshot makes a nipple wrench but I don't know if it fits the Remington and don't use Slixshots nipples. --->>> https://www.badmanbullets.com/Online...od=SliX-Driver
    I have that wrench. Works great on my Remington and my Colts. A real quality product.

In Remembrance
    I destroyed 3 nipple wrenches trying to remove nipples from an original Remington. I made one from a socket that fit snugly and then used my 1/4" impact driver on it. Came out slicker
    than.....I do have one of the Cash ratcheting wrenches, but if I run into a stubborn nipple, my go-to wrench is the homemade one. And.....anti-seize when re-installing them!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by arcticap View Post

Ted Cash makes a wratcheting nipple wrench with interchageable socket heads but by using anti-seize, I've never felt it necessary to buy one.
    I like to keep it simple, and sockets can be lost.
    Simple fix 1/4 nut driver Ted's nipple socket 2 drops of JB weld. Take a real klutz to lose a nutdriver and socket that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Simple fix 1/4 nut driver Ted's nipple socket 2 drops of JB weld. Take a real klutz to lose a nutdriver and socket that way.
    Yes that's true, except there's 3 different nipple sockets to choose from, revolver, rifle and musket.
    Doing that would make it more difficult to switch sockets.

Boolit Master
    I soaked the cylinder with nipples in a clean tomato sauce can with Kroil for 4 days. I used a TOTW #NW-130 and they came out easy. As I didn't put them in I didn't know how tight they were in. They had some residue on them, but seemed just snug. There was no anti seize on the threads. I'll clean all components and wash them with alcohol, coat with Ballistol and apply anti-seize to the threads prior to assembly (just snug). Synthetic red grease to the cylinder rod and I'm ready to shoot. Thanks to all.
    Bob

GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

In Remembrance
    You have the process down!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM