Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CZ 82 ...Daily carry ?

Banned
    The CZ 82 is a neat pistol and one of the better Soviet inspired pistols. While not a true Makarov design it's certainly Makarov-ish. The frame mounted safety is the obvious departure from the Mak style pistols and the Czech quality is several pegs higher than most Soviet era stuff.

The 9x18 is a decent cartridge and about as big as you can go in a simple blowback design. I wouldn't put the 9 x 18 on par with a 9 x 19 in a locked breach design, but it's no slouch.

The real advantages to the Mak style pistols are their low cost and strong construction.

As for the shoulder holster, that's a personal choice but I really don't like them. There are a few situations where a shoulder holster is useful, like when seated in a confined area (car, aircraft, etc.). Some motorcycle riders like to wear shoulder rigs under their riding jackets but then you need another covering garment if you take that gear off. Outside of some very limited situations, the shoulder holster introduces more problems than it solves, IMO. It is very difficult to defend a gun carried in a shoulder holster during a physical confrontation that doesn't involve deadly force. The rig itself provides an attacker something to hang onto. It is nearly impossible to re-holster a pistol one handed when using some shoulder holster designs. They can be difficult to conceal in some situations, particularly in hot weather.
    To each his own but they're just not for me.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Is the Makarov still standard issue for the Russkies?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Yep, I like wearing the shoulder holster when driving or when I was riding, which is mainly when I carry. I usually have a larger long sleeve shirt on over my tshirt and it hides well enough (yes, even in summer, I've had plenty of skin cancer). Makes using the bathroom easier as well.

Don't see how an attacker could grab a harness that is under a shirt or jacket, if they even knew it was there. But, I guess stranger things have happened.

I don't ever see a need to reholster a gun that is drawn to stop a threat. If drawn and fired it will be confiscated by the police who arrive on scene. I have read about this as a 'requirement' of some sort, but, for a civilian it does not seem necessary. For a LEO or military use I can see it being very important.

But, I also choose to use the pancake holster or IWB holster at times as well. Depends on what I am doing, what I am wearing and where I am going.

Boolit Buddy

I carry a CZ 82. Just saying. In fact, one of the holsters I use I got from Boaz.

Boolit Grand Master

Only problem carrying my CZ82 is the weight - it's not as light as my Colt Agent. Lot more rounds, though.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master
    The 9 x 18 Makarov is about 12%-15% more cartridge than the European-loaded 9 x 17/380 ACP. USA-loaded 380 ACP is weaker than Euro loadings (same story with 32 ACP). Most 95 grain bullets in my East German Mak (factory loads from Russia) run about 1050-1075 FPS.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

CZ82's are what Makarov's wished they had been.

I have 2 and one Mak.

Typically the CZ82's that come in are ex Czech Police pistols and look like they've been dragged behind a car. The painted finish is generally pretty dinged up. However they do Cera Kote very well and make into very nice guns.

They are DA SA and can be carried Cocked and Locked.

I like them best of all small Semi Autos.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Banned
    Randy wrote: "CZ82's are what Makarov's wished they had been. "

/\ That's a pretty good assessment.

I consider the CZ82 to be Makarov-ish. They are very close to the Makarov in form but not in every detail. And out of all of the Soviet era pistols of that type, the CZ82 is the best IMO.

Great. Something else I need that chunks brass into the grass.
    Thanks, Enablers.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Great. Something else I need that chunks brass into the grass.
    Thanks, Enablers.
    You can use steel cased ammo; you can't reload the casings but at least you can pick them out of the grass with a magnet

Boolit Master
    I have two that had Robar refinish then added a Wolff spring pack. I have about 1000 rounds loaded up they are fun easy shooting guns. As far a carry piece? That s personal choice look at this way 15 rounds loaded ready to go in an accurate gun with some reasonable decent SD ammo from Hornady maybe allot worse choices. Now there have been some info put out bout these guns not being drop safe. That is of some concerns especially carrying in shoulder rig. My personal take is this; there are many guns that weigh less are more powerful and just as shootable. My two CZ82 are staged in the house as home SD guns and I love shooting them but as carry gun? I have way too many better choices.

Boolit Grand Master

Randy I bought mine several years ago but it was new and apparantly never fired - no marks at all showing use. It does now!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

None of the Czech Police CZ 82's were fired that much. The Czech Police were issued 2 mags or 25 rounds of ammo per year. They could use the ammo however they chose, duty, practice, plinking whatever. If they needed more ammo they had to buy it themselves and most were too cheap to do that.

Result,,, guns didn't get fired much.

I'm going to Cera-Kote my other one someday and it will get either a silver frame or slide and black on the rest. Haven't decided which way to go. Really wanted a set of the pretty Walnut grips they sold but they didn't fit either of my guns so I sent them back.

There is another Commercial Version of this gun called the CZ 83. It is the same gun chambered in .380 ACP. One of the gun shops I frequent has them in stock most of the time.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12