Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CZ 82 ...Daily carry ?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

CZ 82 ...Daily carry ?

Well just seeking opinion . I have carried different handguns daily for the last 16 years . Carried a 1903 Colt a good while in a shoulder rig till they came out with all the sub compacts . Bought a Ruger LCP and have pocket carried it about 8 years . Never have really enjoyed shooting it .

Been thinking to shoulder carry a CZ 82 . I like these old Soviet castoffs , I own 4 of them and probably enjoy just shooting them more than any other . Therefore actually more proficient with them more than the LCP . Have a shoulder rig for one and just thinking . Only problem is I quit the shoulder carry because it can be a pain in the buttocks at times . BUT ! Would have a little more 'firepower' with the 9x18 compared to the 380 , more rounds in the mag and a full size gun ...which I like . PLUS ! I like carrying an old gun just for nostalgia's sake . I consider the CZ 82 dependable .

You can't hurt my feeling so what do you think ?
    No turning back , No turning back !

I doubt anyone who you might shoot will know the difference between .380 and 9mm Mak. Functionally, the CZ is probably as good as it gets but I would stay with your Colt 1903. If you don't want to use it, do you want to sell it?
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

I fired my brother's M&P Shield in .380 and was impressed. I didn't quite buy one though. I'm trying out a STAR BM 9mm compact now. Like the size and it hold 8 rounds. Time will tell.

When bulk is not a concern, I carry a CZ75 clone in a shoulder rig. I like that pistol/design very much.

BDGR

Boolit Master
    Of the three you mentioned I would pick the CZ they are a size that is easy for me to hit well with are reliable and I prefer da/sa guns CZ rami CZ 75c HK usp c HK p30sk what I carry most is a SA XDE 45 guns that fit my pockets are my last choice I don’t shoot them near as well. Nice to have choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    I doubt anyone who you might shoot will know the difference between .380 and 9mm Mak. Functionally, the CZ is probably as good as it gets but I would stay with your Colt 1903. If you don't want to use it, do you want to sell it?
    Dan actually I have 18 of em . Started randomly collecting them back the 80's , no rhyme or reasoning to the 'collection' I just liked them ...you know how it works . Will probably sell off most of them and keep a couple , I enjoy shooting them and got enough ammo to last me the rest of my life..I think . Here's a few of them .

Boolit Master
    Nice!

Why not? If it feels good to you what else matters?

I don't carry often, but when I do it is a little H&R snubby in double action, .32sw long. Not a lot of knock down. But I have one handed 6 into a group the size of a quarter at 20 feet. Just right IMO for taking out eyeballs. So when I carry, I carry it. Little holster that clips into the inside of my pants on my left side. Yeah I like cross draw.

Do what works for you and never look back.

Boaz, You have just ruptured the valve on my covet juice tank. Mercy!
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    CZ 82 drop safe?

Boolit Master
    isn't that same as a makarov?

If it is reliable, accurate, you're comfortable with it,
    and doesn't feel like you're wearing a engine block on your belt-- who could ask for more?
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I too have an LCP and I often carry a big gun in a shoulder holster. But I often still carry the LCP. Drawing the big gun from the shoulder holster is slow for me, to slow if the thug is already close. In that case it’s a fast presentation of the LCP from a pants pocket. But there are situations where the encounter might have more time or maybe over greater distance where the power and accuracy of the big gun would be an advantage. I recall an instance where a nut drove his truck into a Luby’s restaurant, got out with a AR and started shooting people. In a case like that, the big gun would be in action. Just a thought.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

I have had and and LIKED the CZ 82, but found I like the weight of the plastic pistols to carry around.
    The decent round count in the 82's magazine is nice too.
    I was surprised to learn that 9mm Mak is more powerful than 380, not the other way around.
    I find it interesting (guess it is still true) that 9mm Mak ammo is cheaper than 380.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 05-29-2019 at 02:42 PM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Well, I frequently carry the Radom P-64 (9mm Mak) and don't feel undergunned so I think the choice of carrying a CZ is pretty good. I do like the size, about minimum for these cartridges. If I wanted to replace it I would go with a micro 9mm or .38 snubby.

I had a 1903 and it was one of the sweetest little pistols I ever had. Shot little groups and was very comfortable. I put some good sights on it and a new barrel. It converted my wife to shooting autos instead of revolvers (she now has a 1911 Light Commander in .45). And, it was a perfect example of how factory guns should be 'rounded off'. The other downside was I did not feel comfortable carrying it locked and cocked. Safety did not seem as substantial as the 1911.

My other problem was I considered the .32 a bit on the weak side to carry compared to my P-64, SP101, HK VP9 and the Commander. It was great at the range but picking up all that tiny brass was a PITA (if I could find it). So, I sold it.

And, yes, I carry the P-64 in either a shoulder or pancake holster.

PS 9MAK ammo is cheap enough I don't handload it. And Hornady makes their Critical Defense ammo in 9MAK as well.

PPS Buffalo Bore also makes 'heavy' loads for the MAK

The little compacts spoil you quick for lightweight (don't even know you have it) . Conceal ability , simple trigger safety . Down side to me is drawing it when seated (in the vehicle) carrying in your pocket , small grips and basically a point and shoot .

Heck ! I don't know..probably just ready to try something different . I don't open carry and the Texas summer is happening pretty fast . I don't like wearing a 'cover up' in hot weather , usually an oversize denim shirt . I already got the shoulder rig so what the heck . I'll try to post in a week or so if my failing memory will cooperate .

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Now boaz your just making me plain jealous. I had a 1903 once and sold it i have regretted it everyday since.

Boolit Master

Nice gun, but fat & heavy. Colt .380 for me.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Well just seeking opinion . I have carried different handguns daily for the last 16 years . Carried a 1903 Colt a good while in a shoulder rig till they came out with all the sub compacts . Bought a Ruger LCP and have pocket carried it about 8 years . Never have really enjoyed shooting it .

Been thinking to shoulder carry a CZ 82 . I like these old Soviet castoffs , I own 4 of them and probably enjoy just shooting them more than any other . Therefore actually more proficient with them more than the LCP . Have a shoulder rig for one and just thinking . Only problem is I quit the shoulder carry because it can be a pain in the buttocks at times . BUT ! Would have a little more 'firepower' with the 9x18 compared to the 380 , more rounds in the mag and a full size gun ...which I like . PLUS ! I like carrying an old gun just for nostalgia's sake . I consider the CZ 82 dependable .

You can't hurt my feeling so what do you think ?
    I have carried a Polish Random P64 and a Bulgarian Makarov and I have the utmost confidence in either weapon and I would love to have a Czech CZ82. If I did have a CZ82 I would the same confidence carrying that weapon. I find the old eastern block handguns to be highly dependable, amazingly accurate, simple to maintain and operate. Heck the Makarov has a grand total of 27 parts. As for the 9x18 round I would take it over a 380 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Let’s not forget it was the primary sidearm of are enemies including the kgb, gru and the stazi for close to 50 years. Carry with confidence. That’s my opinion.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by kens View Post
    isn't that same as a makarov?
    No not even close! The only thing in common is that they are both chambered for the 9x18 Makarov round.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaz View Post
    Dan actually I have 18 of em . Started randomly collecting them back the 80's , no rhyme or reasoning to the 'collection' I just liked them ...you know how it works . Will probably sell off most of them and keep a couple , I enjoy shooting them and got enough ammo to last me the rest of my life..I think . Here's a few of them .

Wow! When you start selling them off let me know. It’ll probably be at a time when I don’t have any money, like now! But who knows maybe I’ll get lucky and win the lottery.
    Anyway nice collection! I am extremely envious!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast