Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone here rechamberd a 30/30 single shot into 30/30 AI?

Boolit Master

Anyone here rechamberd a 30/30 single shot into 30/30 AI?

I have a Henry 30/30 that I am contemplating running a reamer into it and making it a 30/30AI. Can you do that by hand? I love the Henry, and always wanted a 30/30 AI, all feedback appreciated!

Boolit Bub
    Last year I picked up another barrel for my lever gun I use in gong matches - it was a GP special, full octagon - thinking it would be an easy swap. Going for a longer barrel, giving me a longer sight radius... not expecting issues I didn't check things very close. Once installed, I tried a round in the chamber and it wouldn't go, did a quick chamber cast and found the errors in my thinking - the neck had multiple steps and from the cast it didn't look like a standard 30-30 reamer would clean it up. On a whim I ordered a AI reamer from Dave Manson, I did it by hand, and it cleaned up nicely! I did the pistol powder, cornmeal pack, and hot glue to seal method of case fireforming, lost one case in 200 and have shot these probably 6 times since. I'm shooting cast with a GC pushing them around 1400 fps and they are exceptionally accurate to 200 yards. I didn't go to the AI hoping for more velocity, just as a method to salvage a barrel - it worked - hope this helps.Attachment 242359

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    20 years or so back I had a lever gun 30-30 reamed to AI, because after reading about the 30-30 AI for several years I wanted to try it. The rifle was the 4th 30-30 to call this place home, so I had not worked with it prior to the chamber job. If I were to do it again, I would work up the best load with the slow for the 30-30 powders, and then after reaming add up to 2 grains of that same powder and see how it shoots. I like the chambering, would I do it again,, don't know, but it was a fun project at the time.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys!

Boolit Master
    A retired gunsmith that was an armorer for the local Sheriff's office did my NEF by hand not too long ago. He kept the rifle a month, but only because I told him I'd pick it up at the next range session.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Savage .30-30/20 ga. rechambered to AI. I didn't have a chronograph at the time so not sure just how much it helped velocity wise. I was also loading spire point bullets so ballistics would be better than with the flat nose standard 170 gr. .30-30 bullets. Seemed to me that it performed "better" but that is very subjective.

At the time I liked the look of the sharper shouldered cartridge (modern looking). These days however, I am more nostalgic and like the old cartridge designs simply because that's the way the were born.

I have to think that the .30-30 AI is a "good" one because it maximizes powder capacity by shortening the neck and removing body taper so likely does improve .30-30 noticeably.

Longbow

If you want a real improvement, ream it out to 30-40 Krag!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Oh gosh, I had not thought of the 30/40, now the wheels are spinning!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If you want a real improvement, ream it out to 30-40 Krag!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    If you go to 30-40 Krag though you'll have to alter the extractor then, rim diameter on a 30-30 is .506" on a 30-40 it's .545" - without a mill it can be a whole 'nother can of worms. Seen the extractor modified with the reamer but it's not the best way...

In Remembrance

I did my .30-30 H&R Handi-rifle in .30-30 AI (40 degree shoulder) about 20 years ago. A little extra powder room can make for additional 150 fps at same pressure as factory loads. Brass life is much improved. In fact, I have reloaded many of these cases 50+ times and they are still good. Prior to rechambering, I would get incipient head separations after abut 8 loadings/

I rechambered a marlin 336 30-30 to 307 win and it shot well. Bunch more powder capacity with the 307 and the rim size is close to 30-30 so you may not have to mod the extractor.

BB

Boolit Master

My pop & I did a bunch of Ackleys back in our "Experimental Phase" - .243, 7-08, 280 Rem, and .30-06. Got some real shooters out of that era, though, given that we had a GREAT gunsmith building the guns to gnat's asterisk tolerances, they'd have been serious groupers whatever the chambering.

These days though. . .I dunno. Yes, they hold more powder. Yes, you get a nice velocity boost. Yes, the .30-30 was the modified cartridge Ackley claimed to see the most benefit from. Yes, you get some reduction of bolt thrust by taking the taper out of the cartridge.

But anymore, I'm typically about starting the project with the question "what is this tool for?" If the answer to that question requires you to throw a similar-weight bullet 200fps faster than a .30-30, you can get there with a lot less time at the loading bench with a .308 or .30-06. If it's got to come out of a rimmed cartridge and a single shot platform, then .30-40 Krag or .303 Brit may be your babies.

You could be the first kid on the forum block to try out one of the new Damko Martinis: https://www.damko-usa.com/damko-mode...rifle-c-54_56/
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for all the replies. The extractor fit would be a piece of cake, I have fitted a bunch of single shot shotguns with blank extractors. I shot some leverloution 30/30 handloads that are exactly like factory, except for the brass. It shot them very well, and it shoots the same velocity as 30/30 AI. For now I will just leave it alone, but I have all the replies saved for future reference.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    I have a Henry 30/30 that I am contemplating running a reamer into it and making it a 30/30AI. Can you do that by hand? I love the Henry, and always wanted a 30/30 AI, all feedback appreciated!
    Yes, you can do it by hand.

"Anyone here rechamberd a 30/30 single shot into 30/30 AI?"

Yes, we'll over 500 in the past 35 years!

The 30-30 Ackley Improved is one of my favorite cartridges, and at 100 and 200 yards, there may be cartridges that are just as accurate, but none that are more accurate!

My Ruger #1 in 30-30 Ackley Improved with a stainless steel bull barrel shoots the Hornady 155 gr. A-MAX a little over 2,600 fps. with it's best group being .018 at 100 yards and consistently in the 1's and 2's.

I have always found Hodgdon's 4895 to one of the best powders for use in the 30-30 Ackley Improved, and with Federal Gold Medal Match primers.

Boolit Buddy
    I did my Handi a few years ago by hand. Was a piece of cake. I cleaned the chamber real good, colored the rim recess black with a sharpie. Then lubed the reamer liberally with tap and cutting fluid and did it slowly by hand. Checking with each turn, I stopped when I seen it just start to remove the sharpie ink from the rim recess. Worked perfectly.

I definitely want a Ackley improved now!!

Boolit Master
    I had mine done "just because."

And I like the way the brass looks.

My Ruger #1B has been a 30-06 A.I. for many years....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    I had mine done "just because."

And I like the way the brass looks.

My Ruger #1B has been a 30-06 A.I. for many years....
    LoL ��
    "Just because"..
    Ya' know ? That's the Best Reason I've ever heard ��
    Yeah, the Cases look cool..
    ��

Finally, my G2 23" contender is done.
    She's a 30-30AI now.