Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for a 22 magnum

Banned

looking for a 22 magnum

Hello friends,

I am kicking around the idea of a new to me 22 magnum rifle. I have never owned one before. I don't think that I have ever fired one either.

I was hoping to get some suggestions for a good bolt action rifle. I want to keep the price reasonable.

I like Marlins in general but I am looking at Savages also.

The new Marlin XT-22M is around $200 new. Are they any good?

When I look at used Marlins the prices are higher. And the models are confusing.

Is their a particular used Marlin that I should look for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Master

I have had a bunch my most accurate is a Ruger American. Beat Anshutz Savages and Marlins. Borwnjng T bolt is a very nice model as is the CZ rifles.
    These where shot at 100 Yards.

Great under rated caliber!

CW
    Last edited by cwlongshot; 05-24-2019 at 11:39 AM.
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    I love my ruger American in 22lr I would not hesitate to buy on in 22mag

Boolit Buddy

I have a Ruger 77/22Mag All Weather (that means it is stainless) that shoots very well. It took me a little while to find the right ammo. It shoots under an inch at 75 yards with a CCI and a Hornady load.

I recently bought an Excell Accellorator in .22mag. Not a rifle, pistol with 9 inch stainless steel bull barrel.

I believe they also make a rifle with the same action.

I've been pretty happy with mine. Put a Red Dot sight on it right off the bat. And then a found a tapped screw hole on the bottom of the barrel. So it is now sporting a bipod.

Not a bolt action, but worth considering IMO.
    Pistol was right around 500$ new.

Boolit Master

Glad yours shoot Ghost. These are known a jambOmatics. Poor built proprietary magazines are the likly cuprite.

I have shot two of them and neither of the ones I shot could reliably get thru an entire magazine. But IIRC, they did shoot accurately. This was some time ago so maybe they have better magazines now.
    Im a 22 mag nut and there aint very many I haven’t owned and fewer that I haven't shot!

CW

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    If you want cheap Savage will work , be prepared to pillar bed it so the group isn't continually shifting . My 93 was accurate but could not keep the group from moving until I installed the bedding .

My pre Remington bolt action marlin is fine as it is . I bought it used in excellent condition and the price was fair . It did need a trigger though , factory was horrible .

Browning T-bolt may be out of your budget but , it is very accurate as it . I bought one because it's available in left hand and CZ just can't seem to find it within themselves to make a lefty .

I can't find a Kimber model 82 in a left hand magnum or I would have one of those .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

There's some info. about used .22 magnums in this thread:--->>> http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ight=chuckster

There's a New Haven Brand clone [made by Mossberg] of the Mossberg 640K Chuckster .22WMR for $219 on Gunbroker:--->>> https://www.gunbroker.com/item/804716030

The older Mossberg 640K's shoot the 40 grain FMJ & HP & SP bullets well.
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-24-2019 at 09:02 PM.

Boolit Master
    The savages have magazine issues also. I had to tinker with the mag latch on my buddies Savages. The mags don't lock up tight causing the nose of the bullets to hit too low on the feed ramp. I was able to trim and tuck the latching system to lock up tight and haven't had a problem since. It's a common problem.

Boolit Master

I have the Marlin XT 22 MAG. Very happy with it. Accurate rifle.
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

cwlongshot, mine came with a tool that fits in a hole in the follower. Allows you to remove spring pressure, ensure you won't get a rim lock. I suspect from the reading I've done that those who take the time to load mags carefully have few problems. Those who do not suffer for it.

I did have a few issues the first couple of mags. I don't think it likes to have the mag inserted with a closed bolt. When I did this I would get one shot then a failure to feed.

Ensuring the bolt was open when I inserted mags all problems went away and they just ran.

I have not shot them yet at long range. Been busy cleaning up after the winters devastation. Lost 2 sheds, one steel, one fabric. Steel one got torn down and 90% of contents hauled to berm. Fabric one got a patch job underneath to give more support and a heavy duty tarp tied over the top. Saved me couple hundred dollars for a year or 2. But the work is about done, time to start fishing and shooting.

I second the Mossberg Chuckster. I had one 30 years ago and it shot great. I see them used for under $ 200 and they are a good rifle.

Jedman

Boolit Master

I have a Chuckster. Its a great gun its longer bbl gets some good velocities too! I have had it for quite a few years. That ruger will Out shoot it. Two friends bought Rugers after I did & after shooting mine. Both of there's shoot just as well.

If you can snag that GB deal at 220 you will have a nice rifle!

Good luck

CW

Boolit Master
    If you can spend the money, get a CZ455 and you'll not only have a great .22mag, but for around a hundred and thirty bucks you can get extra barrels in 17HMR and .22lr. I have one and each one shoots right up there in Anschutz territory. Changing barrels is about a three minute job. Beautiful walnut stock and a pretty decent trigger right out of the box. I got mine at Cabela's and I paid under five hundred for it. It will shoot an inch-inch and a half for five shots at a hundred in .22mag, an honest one inch with the 17HMR, and the .22lr will shoot under .3" five shots at fifty yards. I own an Anschutz and a T-Bold. Both good guns, but a LOT more money.

Moderator Emeritus

Some years back I walked into a shop seeking a .22 Hornet, and instead walked out with a Marlin 25MN in .22 wmr; a choice I've yet to regret. At least in my area, they seem to be plentiful in the gun shops and at shows, and the lack of "want" has the prices almost ridiculously low. It shoots where you point it; extra/spare magazines are quite available. And, I really like the real wood stock. If you come across one, comparing what you get for what you pay -- seems like a stellar choice.
    geo
    Attachment 242421

Boolit Master

My son bought me a Marlin 882 many years ago and I’ve been very happy with it. Like most rimfires, I had to find the right brand ammo for accuracy. Mine has the stainless metal with a synthetic stock, which looks ok, although I favor wood.

Attachment 242422
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I bought a pair of 77/22's in 22lr and 22 mag about 15 years ago. The blued/walnut stocked version.

They both shoot great. Had both out yesterday. Only complaint is loading the magazines, it's getting harder and harder on the fingers. Time to look at buying one of those loading gizzies.

The mag is bone stock, the LR had the barrel floated and the sear replaced.

Boolit Master
    JM Marlin 882SSV (stainless synthetic stocked varmint barreled). The trigger was not stellar so I installed a Rifle Basix myself.

Very good rifle. Likes Win 40 gr traditional HPs. Does not do well with the 30 higher speed loads such as CCI vmax’s beyond 60 yds or so.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Master
    For only a little more you could get a Savage with the Accutrigger. That trigger is really sweet and makes a huge difference. But the Marlin is still a good one though.

Boolit Master
    I have a Savage w/ an accu trigger in 17 HMR as well as a few centerfires with them.

On balance I like the Rifle Basix on the Marlin better.

I have one of my centerfire Savages set up with the Target Accu trigger and Target Sear and that is something to sit up and take notice of. But still there are folks that do not care for the system in any version.

Best regards

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast