Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Has anyone found good hearing protection for hunting?

Boolit Master

I use a Peltor Tactical for skeet, pistol and hunting
    For bench rest rifle, I use EAR inserts
    Mike
    Last edited by skeettx; 05-24-2019 at 07:17 PM.
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    I purchased a pair of Walker HD Elite "Hearing Enhancement & Protection" devices...(look like and work like hearing aids) before last season. I put them in and adjust them once I get in the blind and leave them on all day. They take some getting used to, are "digital" and adjustable, I retain sense of direction of sounds and very little problems with noise unless I am in the open and it is windy and volume is turned up.

I suffer from tinnitus and wanted to try them to see if I could prevent further damage. I try to turn the volume to the level of my natural hearing...perhaps a bit of enhancement, and don't have any problems. When I turn the volume up they drive me crazy. The down side is they use #13 hearing aid batteries and once you peel the cover off of them they are used up whether or not the aids are on. They are air activated. They are reasonably priced so I can live with it.

Are they perfect? No, but they do provide protection at the shot(s) without blocking out normal sound while hunting. I wish I would have had them years ago. Too much unprotected gunfire (some of it unavoidable) and heavy machinery and yes tuning and running race vehicles without protection have taken their toll. Just trying to protect what hearing I have left.

I am about like all the guys with some Tinnitus, and I don't normally hear the ringing until the subject comes up, then I hear the steady ring. Years back I purchased Radians electronic muffs, it seem they were $79.00. When in use I can hear crickets at dusk and crows bothering a Hoot Owl a long ways off. Cardinals and mice come at dusk to feed and can be heard skittering around. They fly up in the bushes below my treestand (not the mice) and are heard loudly. Do not interfere with shooting arrows. Just checked EBay and they have them from $27.00 to $50.00. Industrial pair over $500.00 I have enjoyed mine since purchase in the '90s. They still work. Most of the year they are stored without the batteries installed. Check them out, they tell you the dbs, sound direction, etc. Have had some difficulty finding the true foam cream colored ear plugs, when I do find them I stock up. The seem to do well for me. I roll them tightly and install deeply in the ear canal. Really do like the Radians as there is no need to scramble to put them on when game is sighted. Many times in the past while in the tree stand I turn to look the other way and there is a deer standing right there. Came in quietly I think.

Boolit Master
    I take out my hearing aids and put in foam plugs. Bangs aren't nearly as loud and ears don't ring. Use a son to hear game. Two sons are even better.
    Last edited by Duckiller; 05-26-2019 at 04:47 PM. Reason: add info

Boolit Master
    Used to have some amplivox ear plugs that had a diaphragm in the middle that closed when loud noise hit them but sprang back when pressure dropped worked well can't find them on sale anymore as they went hard over the years and stopped working .use a moderator now.

Wish I would have worn more ear protection when I was younger. Too much noise from shooting, working in a factory that had some machines that were unbelievably loud, playing in bands etc. Now wear high tech hearing aids in both ears. Still fly my ultralight flying machine which is very loud but wear muffs or plugs. Never found a good solution to the problem when hunting. 44 Mag revolvers are very loud. Repeat- what did you say??????

I hear suppressors /silencers are awesome for that.

but what ever you go for they must be comfortable or else you won't wear them.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy

I have worn several type of ear plugs. Some fit better than others, I hunt deer or bear from a ground blind an roll a set & stuff in before picking up my rifle. I have had the rubber type that are not as efficient but do afford some protection, which is what I would use if walking. It has been at least 20 years since I have shot a game animal without hearing protection. This is what works for me. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I use these for hunting and for shooting on the range if im the only one shooting. There not so great if some one is next to you shooting.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Surefire-...Black/37017228
    One round at a time.
    Member of the NRA,GOA and FAOC. Gun clubs Zerby rod and gun club. Keystone Fish and Game Association.

Boolit Master

My audiologist continues to recommend either of these in-ear electronic digital devices: GSP•15 Electronic Earplugs https://www.etymotic.com/gsp15.html; EB15•LE BlastPLG® Electronic Earplugs https://www.etymotic.com/eb15le.html.

Protection is less than achieved by solid rubber earplugs, and closer to but not equal to electronic digital earmuffs. These Etymotics, like all in-ear electronic digital earplugs, are not for use in enclosed areas or beneath roofing found at many outdoor shooting ranges. They are designed for outdoor use.

Hope this helps.
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12