WidenersReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 9mm conundrum

9mm conundrum

Have the Kimber custom II pistol in 9mm 1911 A1 in hand and just beginning my load development for it.

Problem is with the 120 grain Lee TC boolits that I PC'd with lite Ford blue powder from Eastwood. Loaded Lee 125 grain SWC coated the same with exactly the same results.

These went wildly awry. I have never had such terrible accuracy with anything in my life. They wound up flying some 4 FEET groups at 25 yds ... yep I said 4 FEET groups.

Load is 4 grains Bullseye with CCI small pistol prime in Rem cases. Ran boolits thru a .357 size die after PCing. Alloy is close to Lymans # 2 mix and water dropped after PCing.

The Lee 95 grain fp PC'd same shot into 2 inch at 10 yds and at 25 I could consistantly hit the clay pigeons ... so I know it isnt the barrel. The FMJ's in 115 grain from Rem factory loads did good as well.

As stated, I have never had loads go so wild from anything ever before.

Upon cleaning at home, I also discovered another first for me. Shoving a tight patch through from the breech, I found it hard to overcome the chamber end where the rifling began. This is a much larger STEP from chamber to bore then anything I have encountered before as well.

My first encounter loading and shooting 9mm so I am in yet another learning curve.

Any ideas here? Seems that the factory fmj's and my 95 grain PC'd boolits would go astray if it were the barrel or the .357 sized boolits. Just grasping at straws here ...

Hoping some body has an explanation for the wild 4 foot groups at such short range. Something happening here that this ol coon dog has not seen before.

Thanks in advance.

Boolit Master

Pull a bullet from one of your loaded rounds and check the diameter at the base. I'd guess you have the common 9mm issue of the inside taper of the brass sizing your bullets down below optimal spec. The answers are harder bullets and a larger expander.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Vendor Sponsor

Sounds typical of modern mfgr's barrels, ZERO throat to speak of. Even SAAMI chamber specs call for freebore before the leade ins begin but since the only ammo that anyone shoots anymore is factory store bought stuff, they don't need any throat if it chambers wal mart ammo right?

If you have rifling running right down to the chamber mouth, with no or very little freebore, it will only ever shoot but so good without improvement.

This is what the throat should look like for proper function and accuracy with cast boolits:

Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Pull a bullet from one of your loaded rounds and check the diameter at the base. I'd guess you have the common 9mm issue of the inside taper of the brass sizing your bullets down below optimal spec. The answers are harder bullets and a larger expander.
    Well did as you suggested and BINGO!!! Dang things sized em down to .349 inch. Amazing. Cant load em out further as the ogive hits the rifling. Very well may need to get a throating ream and give just a bit more forgivness room in there for my cast boolits. Gotta be able to shoot cast cause I am NOT gonna pay these exorbitant prices for loading my rounds.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Well did as you suggested and BINGO!!! Dang things sized em down to .349 inch. Amazing. Cant load em out further as the ogive hits the rifling. Very well may need to get a throating ream and give just a bit more forgivness room in there for my cast boolits. Gotta be able to shoot cast cause I am NOT gonna pay these exorbitant prices for loading my rounds.
    A larger expander fixed this for me (and many others) so if you are using a Lee PTX die, this expander is a direct swap:
    https://leeprecision.com/pm-expan-plg-38-s-w.html
    worked for me,

Edit: if you are using mixed brass you will find some have a thicker wall thickness closer to the end, some even have steps
    You will need to separate your brass and eliminate the thicker/stepped wall stuff.
    Last edited by Kenstone; 05-23-2019 at 09:58 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master

I had to go with a fcd to overcome the same problem. 9mm are the biggest learning curve to load. you will need to watch case length very closely as they headspace on the brass
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds right to me. So far all I am using is rem brass.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the suggestion. Sounds right to me. So far all I am using is rem brass.
    So far, I have found R-P brass to run the thinnest of all I've measured.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master

Something that helped me was Gas Checked Boolits. A 4 cavity NOE 358-124-TC - GC mould along with a NOE custom case expander plug made all the difference in the world . The gas check helped stop boolit size down and the correct sized expander plug made seating easy . I size them .357 and lube conventionally ( not powder).
    I had never encountered so much trouble in loading cast boolits as when I took on the 9mm,
    It's not easy , especially the "no Throat" situation....but all the details can be worked out without resorting to a throat job. Throating will make life a bit easier though and give you more leeway in seating depths .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    A larger expander fixed this for me (and many others) so if you are using a Lee PTX die, this expander is a direct swap:
    https://leeprecision.com/pm-expan-plg-38-s-w.html
    worked for me,

Edit: if you are using mixed brass you will find some have a thicker wall thickness closer to the end, some even have steps
    You will need to separate your brass and eliminate the thicker/stepped wall stuff.
    Good Post
    The 38 S&W expander made my 9's much more cast friendly.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Anybody be able to steer me to a throat ream that will carve the rifling to a more suitable lead in angle? Or should I take it to or send it to a smith?

How bout a recomendation for a fellow castboolits member to make it cast friendly.

Boolit Master
    Dougguy can fix your throat .

Anybody be able to steer me to a throat ream that will carve the rifling to a more suitable lead in angle? Or should I take it to or send it to a smith?

How bout a recomendation for a fellow castboolits member to make it cast friendly.
    Dougguy does this and his work is excellent. Many on this site have used his services. I have had him do a couple of barrels for me and it fixed all the chambering problems.

+1 on DougGuy

Boolit Buddy

bigted
    After 40+ years of handloading I was beginning to think I had learned a few things but the 9mm with cast bullets has been a humbling experience. I recently bought a Springfield RO Elite 9mm and gave cast bullets another try. This 1911 shoots very well with jacketed.
    The cast load is the 120 Lee TC coated with Harbor Freight red and sized .357" after coating. Powder is 5gr. Power Pistol with WSP primer in range pickup Blaser brass loaded to 1.075". Function has been perfect and it was shooting tight clusters on the 25 yard swinger so I tried it from a rest at 50 yards on a freshly painted swinger and it grouped 4". That's the limit of my ability with iron sights and the best performance I've had with cast bullets in a 9.
    I happened on a bunch of CBC once fired brass and tried the above load. Lucky that I tried the plunk test before loading up 100 rounds...they wouldn't chamber. The loaded round diameter was .004" fatter than same bullet in R-P, Blaser or Fed brass! I sort 9mm brass by headstamp due to the variation from between brands.
    It sounds like you've found the problem with your 9 but I thought I'd toss this in as a FWIW.

Boolit Buddy
    I've had issues with CBC, Aguila, PPU and military brass. Every other headstamp I have has no issues plunking in every one of my 9mm barrels. Those three were giving me bulges and in general not chambering consistently. I now just toss them every time I see them and don't worry about it