Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data

Thread: Lyman #2 for .38-40

Boolit Master

Lyman #2 for .38-40

What is the group's thoughts about using an antimony, lead and probably tin alloy of unknown composition that is about as hard as Lyman #2 for a .38-40 over 7.2 gr of Unique?

I ask because I normally cast 40:1 for this bullet and charge. And I don't load a lot of smokeless loads in the first place so I'm not really in my element with this one.

the bullet is the RCBS 180 grn flatnose and the gun is a relined vintage 1894 Marlin.

Thanks for all opinions.

Boolit Master

Brent, if you are going to load to the same pressures as you do with your 40:1 alloy I'd think that the harder alloy would be unnecessarily hard. IIRC, Lyman #2 is BHN 15; I'd cut it at least 50-50 with pure lead.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Boolit Master
    A revolver probably wouldn't be real happy with that hard bullet but the rifle won't complain a bit. But like centershot says, you don't need it that hard so you could mix it with lead if you wanted to extend your stash.

Size matters. IF the bullet fits the alloy will be fine but not needed.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    The size fits, so no problem there. I will take the advice to cut it with 50% lead. I would rather not, simply because I would like to get rid of this alloy. It is a weird lot of "pure lead" that I bought on ebay years ago. Very hard, NOT PURE, stuff. Looks like antimony alloy casts at low temperature relative to my normal 16:1 lead:tin lead for BPCR and tested by a friend to to be very hard and comparable to Lyman #2. Someone said they thought the stuff was helicopter rotor weights. I dunno what is or from, but I have a lot of it.

While I have your attention. Would you do the same cutting it with 50% lead, for a mild to moderate loads in a .30-40 Krag with a gas checked "Krag bullet" of about 220 grs? I had been casting the stuff straight for this rifle. Accuracy wasn't wonderful, but that could be for other reasons.

Boolit Master

I've used #2 in the past for most handgun size cartridges in a rifle. Full power .44WCF Loads in a Uberti '92 Rifle without a hitch.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life