Load DataTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Repackbox

Thread: Receiver sights

Receiver sights

I'm not very bright, so could someone explain this to me. In the old Lyman catalog, it shows different part numbers for Winchester 94 and Marlin 336. So how does Williams have one that fits both? I picked up a Redfield 102-E, thinking there was a chance it would fit my 336. Not even close. So how does Williams pull it off? Thanks
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Nobody knows cuz it's a secret.

Then again maybe it was a lie and they don't fit both guns.

I tend to go with the latter.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Maybe the Williams has a extra hole or two, or a height that lets it fit both.

Then again, by being able to fit both, it could be like a 'street/trail' motorcycle.
    It doesn't work very well for either application.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-22-2019 at 11:36 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have used a 5D-94/36 on both Winchester 94 ( pre -angle) Top eject, and Marlin 336, both rifles factory drilled and tapped on the side.
    Mabe someone has examined the Lyman 66A and the 66LA and can tell us the Diff. But I would guess it has to do with the Height above the Bolt on the Winchester.
    A Boy in a Old Man's Body. I Shoulda Been a Cowboy

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Maybe the Williams has a extra hole or two, or a height that lets it fit both.

Then again, by being able to fit both, it could be like a 'street/trail' motorcycle.
    It doesn't work very well for either application.
    I got in an argument only a week or so back about this - I have two of those 5D - 94/336 Williams sights
    Feller reckoned they wont fit a model 71 - hmmmm - thats what I bought the second one for ! Seems to fit my Browning 71 just fine - they are an economical hunting sight - gets what ya pays fer - 40 bucks off Midway - dont get click adjustments with a Williams - Lyman (66L) is 100 bucks off Midway - get click adjustment and two apertures with a Lyman...........at two and a half times more price a quality comparison here is kinda unfair.
    That Williams 5D on my 348 has held solid since I mounted it - it is doing its job just fine -----------------

The Marlin holes are lower and closer together than the Winchester. So the height is easily compensated, but the pictures I've seen only show one hole for each screw. I'm considering getting one of the Williams to see. Huh, just remembered that I have a Redfield on a waffle top. Better check it out.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by pull the trigger View Post
    The Marlin holes are lower and closer together than the Winchester. So the height is easily compensated, but the pictures I've seen only show one hole for each screw. I'm considering getting one of the Williams to see. Huh, just remembered that I have a Redfield on a waffle top. Better check it out.
    My two Williams 5D are branded 94.36 ....only have two holes in the side mounting point - the holes in a marlin might be a touch lower but they would have to be same distance apart as the winchester for this sight to fit --I have not fitted one to a marlin, only winchester 94 and Browning 71.........the Williams foolproof sight (has the click adjustments) comes in designated models for each (marlin and Winchester) the marlin model uses the sight mount screws into top of the action where the winchester model screws to the side.

Boolit Master

The Lymans are profiled on the mounting surface to match closely the angle between the left flat of the receiver and the top. Generally, a Lyman Marlin (66LA) will mount on a Winnie (66A), with a bit of gaposis. The Williams bases dispense with this angle transition and have a full flat mounting surface. A Willie will fit either Winchester or Marlin without covering the bevel at the top of the receiver.

This has been from memory and experience with many sights from all three companies. Which is to say, it may not be entirely true any more.

There, bases covered.
    Last edited by Nueces; 05-24-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Yeah I don't know. I haven't got to check out the one on the waffle top, but this one marked E, will not fit the 336 at all.
    NRA Life Member
    Amvets life member

A Willie will fit either Winchester or Marlin without covering the bevel at the to of the receiver.
    This is correct. Here is a Winchester and a Marlin (mine) with the same Williams sight on them (94/36)

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BB.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	109.7 KB 
ID:	242310
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1449[1].jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	43.5 KB 
ID:	242312

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Win 64 with a Lyman 66MB on it. It works but sits above the bevel on the win. it is listed as fitting the marlin 1893-93 1936& 36 not sure if it would work on a 336 but would trade it for your 102 sight.

Boolit Master
    When I tried a peep sight on my Marlin 1895, I used the inexpensive Williams that fits the scope mounting holes on top of the receiver. I was glad I didn't spend a lot, because my variable bifocal glasses made it look like I had 1 1/2 apertures.