Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Other Leverguns

Boolit Master
    Some years ago I posted here that I was
    at the range with my Ruger 96 lever
    and I had targets set up at 50 and 100 yds.

Now, I did put a peep sight on and a
    williams fire sight on the front. I pretty much
    had it ranged in well.

So, one shot at the 50, one shot at the 100.

Walked down to see the effects - -
    each in the x-ring ! Cased that rifle back up;
    I was afraid to shoot it again !!!

Sadly, no witnesses...........

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post
    I've got a 1971 Belgian Browning BLR in .308. Can't think of a better light, short, accurate, powerful woods gun.
    I have one also and find this post as well written as possible.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

The 99 was sweet. But I've never been able to justify purchasing one. Either they are expensive, in some weird/dubious cartridge, or they are the later ones which all seem to be pure junk. I once considered buying one in 308 with a box mag and even drive out to buy it but it was just a piece of junk. The stock looked like it was made from a 2x4. The finish looked like it was Krylon. The overall quality was embarrassingly low. So low it still biased me against anything Savage. I do know of a fella who had several nice older ones with the rotary magazine. But every one was in one of those bizzare savage cartridges.
    It's a pity because they were cool.

Banned

The detachable magazine ones are pure abominations. As to obscure calibers, I see 20 in .300 Savage for every other caliber out there, and that isn't obscure, lots of ammo and load data for it and it works well with cast in my experience.

My personal opinion is that my 99 Brush gun in .358 is as close to the perfect deer rifle as exists. I'd still prefer a pistol grip stock rather than straight and I like the trigger safeties of the pre-million serial numbered ones rather than the tang safety, but I like it a lot just the same.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev18 View Post
    Shoots really nice. Its a .32 Remington. So it still has decent firepower.
    I have one marked30-30 Remington (30 ) Remington gunsmith tried to load 30-30 win ammo in it LOL!!!

I have a couple 99’s , one in 250 savage , one in 303 savage , both are great rifles ,

Moderator Emeritus

I've never owned one, but I've heard good things about the Chiappa.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    I have a bunch of Savage 99's, we hunt everything with them. We use a couple in 358 Win on elk, a .243 and 300 Savage for antelope. Most of our practice and boolit shooting are through a couple .308's. My 'walking around' rifle is a feather weight 303 Savage with receiver sight. I've got a Ruger 96 in 22 Magnum, shoots OK but has some things I consider 'unhandy' in the loading/unloading of the magazine into the rifle. I've got a few BLR's, unpleasant rifles to me, triggers are stagy, gritty and heavy, seldom feeling the same twice. In dust and dirt, the action itself will lock up until doused with oil or some lubricant. I've had the firing pin on a BLR freeze up and take 4 to four hammer falls to brake loose due to its inertia design. My BLR in 325 will freeze up simply by cleaning with a gun scrubber that removes the lubricant, locked-up empty and unfired until some oil is sprayed into the action and allowed to penetrate. Fired from a bench the can be accurate, from a field position not so much, due to the trigger. I wanted the BLR to work due to the availability of the 300 Win Mag and the 325, but they just don't work very well. I have the BLR 223 308 and 358 steel receiver, 22-250, 300 Mag and 325 in the aluminum receiver. The steel receiver works better than the alloys for function, but are heavy. Sadly they just have not been as pleasant as my Savage 99's. My Savage .243's both go under MOA, same with a couple 308's and a 300, most other 308's, 300 Savages go under 1.5 MOA even with boolits. The 303 I shoot regularly is about 2MOA on good days due to the reciver sights. I have a Henry Long Ranger on my list, just haven't found the 'need' for another .243 or .308, I might go with a .223 but then they listed the 6.5 Creedmoor, so...

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I carried my old steel frame BLR 81 for several winters in the pickup feeding cows and thru calving, nary a malfunction and a lot of dead coyotes...
    I like the way my 99F savage looks and shoots but when it's cold and you have to wear gloves, the thing is about like carrying a squirming cat..
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

About 45 years ago I passed up a Mdl,99 in 38-55 with a tapered octagon barrel ,still kicking myself
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

Banned

Honestly, I have zero experience with them, but this is the first time I ever heard a negative word about those BLRs. Interesting.

The Savage 99 has a very rabid following. I had one in a 300 Savage and it would have been a good rifle if I shot right handed. It had that lever safety that could not be reached with the left hand hold. Its trigger pull was inconsistent. I made one of the prettiest shots with it I could have made. Threaded the needle through the brush at abut 100 yards. At the time I would often still hunt between stands, and that safety was just too clumsy. I sold it and never missed it.

I have looked at the Henry Long Ranger an might jump on one, maybe not, as it has what I like in a rifle. A box magazine is nice as one can load and unload so easily. Far better than a tube. Don't like the 20" barrel. It is also made with a 22" barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor now, which is a good hunting caliber. I have one in a bolt action and like it. Which is why I probably would not get one as the bolt works just fine. I do shoot left handed and a lever is nice for that, but a bolt has served me well for years.

DEP

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    We have a Savage in 300 Savage that we do enjoy hauling about. Made in 1951.
    Odd... have a Spencer in 56-60 that is a hoot to shoot at things with. A Browning BL-22....
    Couple Ballards but they are single shots. Couple of Halls in .54 again SS.

Odd calibers... a 336 in 414 Supermag. Another 336 in 405 JES. An 1886 in 50 Alaskan...
    Mike in Peru
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy
    Have 2 1894 Winchesters, 38-55 and 30 WCF both over 100 years old.
    Have a number of Marlins; 336's, new version of the 1895, and a bunch of 94's. Odd calibers are 32 Mag, 218 Bee, 25-20 WCF, 32-20 WCF, 375 Winchester. 1895 is the first year of reintroduction w/ cut rifling from the early 1970's.
    Also 2 1899 Savage's in 303 (one is a takedown) and a Model 150 Winchester 22RF which was a Christmas present in 1968.
    Have a reproduction 1887 Winchester 12 gauge imported by Interstate Arms of Billerica MA so it is the better one of the imports.
    If you count Ruger #1's then 1 @ 30-30 (blued Lipsey's special), 1 @ 22 Hornet & 1 @ 218 Bee.

Boolit Master
    I have a Pair of Marlin Model 56's: one is an early one without serial No. and the other is a somewhat later one with a serial No. on it.

Both have been fired and shoot well, just not out lately as I am 'puttering' with my .25ACP Ruger Standard Auto MKII for the Time being.

I am Thinking of Converting the serial numbered one to .25ACP sometime in the future and have a LW 23+ inch long Cr-Mo Barrel Blank set aside for the Project.

Chev. William

Boolit Grand Master

I have a Mikruo 1895 Win in 405 Win - not your usual Win lever.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The Marlin Levermatic with the Kessler "accelerator" action are very neat. I think they were in .22LR, .256 Win., and .30 carbine and I'd like to have any of those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    The Marlin Levermatic with the Kessler "accelerator" action are very neat. I think they were in .22LR, .256 Win., and .30 carbine and I'd like to have any of those.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Keep checking the Various Gun Auction sites like Gun Broker dot com as Marlin model 56, 57, and 62 do show up for sale. I bought my Serilaized Modle 56 off A Gun Auction site.

Chev. William

Boolit Master
    Found my own personal unicorn - 1895 Winchester in 236 Lee Navy. Seller claims it's lettered, waiting on paperwork still. But either way, I've looked for an embarrassingly long time for this one!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12