RepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am Certified now!

Randy: I have both a heavy barrel 12ga. with a rifled barrel and an over-under 12ga. cylinder bore smooth barrels. Would run side by side tests on these for you. Gp

Boolit Master

Randy, congrats on your certification and Another well engineered project

Elvas: I figure that they will shoot alright from a Cylinder Bore, but I really don't want anyone shooting them thru a choke.

Lightfield sells a Sabot Slug like this for reloaders, as does Hastings, only they have lead inserts. The Hastings ones are beige in color but the same otherwise. I figure they have been shot thru just about everything there is, but I don't want the exposure. There will be disclaimers on the packaging. NO CHOKES!

I am starting out with loads that are just under STI's Loads included with their Sabots.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 05-23-2019 at 04:19 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Man
    What is the diameter of the slug at its widest point?

The Brass insert is .690 at the widest point. The Sabot is .730. It will probably go thru a choke OK but I don't think the accuracy will be anything to talk about.

The whole point of these, other than you can hunt with them in CA, is the accuracy. All of these Sabots with Lead Inserts have proven to be very accurate. The brass insert which is lathe turned should be better, as there are no casting imperfections.

Randy.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    Randy: I have both a heavy barrel 12ga. with a rifled barrel and an over-under 12ga. cylinder bore smooth barrels. Would run side by side tests on these for you. Gp
    Might just take you up on this. Let me work out a few more details and I'll get back to you.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Might just take you up on this. Let me work out a few more details and I'll get back to you.

Randy
    Give it a little thought Randy. Doesn't have to be a freebee kind of thing, I can chip in on this. Glad to see someone stepping up to help the California hunters. Not easy down there for those that can't pack up and leave. Gp

Boolit Grand Master

A belated congratulations Randy! Good going!

Those are pretty impressive slugs and I am sure they would be potent bear medicine! If I can get some across the border I just may give them a try. Having a dozen or so loaded would be comforting in bear country and I am sure my cylinder bore Slugster would be happy to digest a few!

Longbow

LB: You can make them, but you'll have to get a hold of some STI Sabots. The inserts themselves are pretty easy.

Are you sure I can't just mail them up there? They could be many things other than Slugs if they were separated.

Randy

Those look a lot like furniture leg inserts to me, good skids on concrete floors. LOL Gp

Boolit Grand Master

Well... we might work something out. Hogtamer sent me some old style Uniwads he called "spark arresters". They made it through the border to the Canadian side and he didn't get arrested so all good.

It occurs to me though that your slugs are like the Slug 'R Us slugs and not likely suitable for smoothbore though. I have to get the adaptor made for my rifled choke tube! Got to do that anyway but here's another reason!

Longbow

Boolit Grand Master

Good luck! Fame and fortune be with you.......
    Charter Member #148

LB: They are the same sabots. With my brass inserts. They are seriously weight forward like an AQ slug. The AQ's will hardly do anything but roll right up on the nose, but they do rotate in flight. These won't rotate without rifling but some drag stabilized slugs do fly strait.

All the Italian Slugs are Drag Stabilized and actually shoot worse with rifling. However from a smoothbore they are super accurate. Gualandi figured out how to make them work, and probably figured it out a long time ago.

Hopefully I will get to shoot the test slugs this next week and see how they perform from a Rifled Barrel. I've got the barrel for the Mossberg and the one for the A5 so I'll run 5 rounds thru each one at 50 yards. Both barrels only have open sights on them so I won't shoot these first tests past 50 yds.

Probably should have gotten the Rifled M500 barrel with the Cantilever Scope mount for this job.

Randy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12