MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Shooting the coated bullets

Boolit Bub

Shooting the coated bullets

I find lots of people who have many reasons not to shoot powder coated bullets but I haven't found anyone who has shot many through suppressors. Does anyone in here shoot coated bullets through suppressors regularly, specifically non-serviceable rifle suppressors? It seems that coating is durable enough to not leave deposits in the suppressor but would like insight from those who have done it. I'm looking at it more for subsonic applications than trying to push fast boolits through them.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I don’t use cans but I do shoot comps, which is very similar to your OT question. Smoke’s PC does leave a trace of lead in the baffles. HiTek leaves a LOT more lead in the baffles. My comps are anodized aluminum and I do see some gas cutting of the through holes. I shoot about 15K rounds per year and They typically last about 7500 rounds before requiring replacement due to the through holes being blown out. Hope that helps.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
    I don’t use cans but I do shoot comps, which is very similar to your OT question. Smoke’s PC does leave a trace of lead in the baffles. HiTek leaves a LOT more lead in the baffles. My comps are anodized aluminum and I do see some gas cutting of the through holes. I shoot about 15K rounds per year and They typically last about 7500 rounds before requiring replacement due to the through holes being blown out. Hope that helps.
    Thanks for the info! How fast are you pushing them?

Banned
    If you're going to shoot PC through a can, make sure you bake them for at least 25 min in a preheated oven

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post
    If you're going to shoot PC through a can, make sure you bake them for at least 25 min in a preheated oven
    That's the kind of info I have been looking for! Can you overbake them?

Jumping in to learn more. I plan to use cast PC subsonic in 300 Blackout for pigs. Have not bought the can yet, but plan to very soon.

If your objective is to use a suppressor to enhance your herd hunting at night with lower cost PC bullets, then you might try this. Remove the guts out of the suppressor and replace just the end cap. The benefits are nothing to be concerned about using PC bullets, you'll get some sound reduction, you'll get the full flash suppression to keep your NVGs from entering recovery mode from muzzle flash. You'll not get any muzzle velocity increase benefit, and you may not get the accompanying cycling benefit. Just try it at the range and see if it will work for you. If it works with commercial subsonic then PC will be even more fun.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve been experimenting with a friend and his Mosin, trying to get it to shoot subsonic, without the boolits tumbling. Still experimenting, so haven’t shot a lot through the can, but no problems so far with PCed boolits. I do bake them for a long time. I put them in a cold oven, set temperature to 400F, the highest it goes, and the timer for forty minutes.

One thing others have mentioned is to be careful, if you use cotton type fillers to take up the space in the cartridge, when not using a lot of powder. Folks seem to think it can get caught up in the can and with repeated firings, could cause problems.

Boolit Buddy
    J
    Quote Originally Posted by geslayton View Post
    Thanks for the info! How fast are you pushing them?

I shoot a lot of 95 grain boolits in the 1200 fps range. I have pushed them north of 1600 without issue but that’s certainly not a fun load to shoot for extended range sessions.