Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: J frame holster?

I think Charlie B is correct. I have a Simply Rugged Sourdough for a large frame short barreled revolver. It looks and carries great. I would not consider a pancake for a longer barreled gun. I think it would work okay but would not look right. Also Simply Rugged recommends the Silver Dollar for smaller guns.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    I think the problem for the OP is the 4" barrel. Pancake holsters start to be a bit 'big' with longer barrels. Goes to the reason for the pancake, to break up the pistol profile. With a long barrel that means a lot of leather down low. You can make a belt slide holster for longer barrels, but, technically it is no longer a 'pancake' since it isn't round anymore. I had the same problem with an Uncle Mike's holster and a Colt 4" .357 revolver.

Also, some like to use thinner leather and give up on the sturdiness of heavy leather that most makers use. I do that on holsters I make. I usually do not have the ability to reholster with one hand, but, I have never had a reason to do that with these holsters either. I give up some durability but I like the way they 'fit'. And when one does wear out I make another. A bonus is the thinner leather is much less expensive and easier to work with.
    I think that would depend on a lot of factors. Breaking up the profile was never a consideration for me, especially for open carry. My favorite thing about the pancake holster is that it hugs your body. It doesn't flop around, I can run with mine comfortably, where I can't with a more traditional design. Sure the pancake holster for my 5" barrel GP100 is no longer a perfect round shape, so what? The pancake design doesn't flop, it doesn't snag easy, it stays when you sit down rather than flare out like some. It has a lot going for it beyond a smooth exterior.

Pancake holsters have some advantages and disadvantages I observe.

Advantage: easy and rapid costruction, very forgiving design, high riding for jacket level concealment, they can be adapted to chest rigs, and can result in a good functional holster.
    Disadvantage: their width doesn't bend around your waist so well if you have a 35" or less waist. Rob Leahy may have a 50" waist by the looks of him so he may have never experienced this. They are bulky. They put a lot of stress on pants' belt loops.
    In the end I think that you basically cannot beat a side holster of typical taco construction, with a open bottom, and a retention system of preference: I like bianchi thumb snaps. For the ultimate in speed and security but for no concealment the old front break holsters are hard to beat. A E Nelson still makes them. If you don't mind plastic virtually all modern quick draw revolver holsters are kydex with press releases and usually a paddle attachment.

You know what. My holster for the 5" j frame could be cut down for a 3". It might be a decent holster with all that material removed. PM me if you are interested.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Pancake holsters have some advantages and disadvantages I observe.

Advantage: easy and rapid costruction, very forgiving design, high riding for jacket level concealment, they can be adapted to chest rigs, and can result in a good functional holster.
    Disadvantage: their width doesn't bend around your waist so well if you have a 35" or less waist. Rob Leahy may have a 50" waist by the looks of him so he may have never experienced this. They are bulky. They put a lot of stress on pants' belt loops.
    In the end I think that you basically cannot beat a side holster of typical taco construction, with a open bottom, and a retention system of preference: I like bianchi thumb snaps. For the ultimate in speed and security but for no concealment the old front break holsters are hard to beat. A E Nelson still makes them. If you don't mind plastic virtually all modern quick draw revolver holsters are kydex with press releases and usually a paddle attachment.
    That is a good point I never thought of. I'm 6'5" with a 42" waist. I never noticed it putting any stress on my belt loops. I am using a steel reinforced 30 dollar brand gun belt. With small guns it doesn't matter, but with the heavier guns 40 ounces or more, I feel like the pancake holster doesn't pull down as much as something like the Bianchi single loop style.

Yea...well if you are 6'5" with a 42" waist you should be able to conceal an AK47. This also puts you in perhaps 1% minority.

I'm 5' 11" with a 35" waist. I find basically any holster that is supported by the belt alone for a 20+ ounce gun to be uncomfortable for daily use. I either wear Perry's Suspenders (which clip onto a belt) or use shoulder suspended holsters.

I have found that suspenders make all the difference. A $10 set of Perry's will do more to make a handgun carryable than a whole truckload of different belt holsters all of which have the same fundamental problem.

Boolit Master
    I’m a Perry’s suspenders guy to. good stuff with a good gunbelt , holster and the perry’s Gun weight doesn’t make much difference.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12