Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: J frame holster?

Boolit Master

J frame holster?

I just finished putting a Tyler T Grip on a new to me 33-1 with a 4 inch barrel. This should be a great little piece to carry around the place when I don’t want to carry a rifle when on walks. Anyone carry a J frame in a field style holster and which do you like?
    Thanks

Yes. The offerings from Simply Rugged Holsters are excellent. You should check them out. My 438 Airweight carries perfect in my holster.

Boolit Master

I like the old S&W Hunter holsters very well. They are substantial, well made and wear well on the outside.

Boolit Grand Master

+1 on Simply Rugged holsters. I use the Pocket Protector for CCW and the Silver Dollar Pancake for regular carry.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I carried a 642 a while and I had a fobus holster that I used a spell. Obviously it didn't conceal well, but worked well for round the farm.

Boolit Grand Master

I just bought a holster for my wife's Chiefs Special from Mayhem Leather in Franklin, NC. Nice work and she is very happy with it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    My IWB (kydex and leather) by Thesis Holsters provides double duty. I always wear it outside the waistband, when working outside around the acreage. Mostly, because the waist of the pants is too small for IWB and pockets are too narrow for my usual mode of carry........ the Mika pocket holster.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    Depends.

Uncle Mike's makes nice functional holsters for field use.

I also like Simply Rugged. My 1911 got a Milt Sparks when I used it for CCW. I also like Bianchi.

But, most of the time I make my own. Piece of heavy leather and thread. Sometimes a couple of rivets and snaps.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3768 (1).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	242287Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	242288
    I like a Bianchi 5H style, only with an extension that covers the trigger guard. These are my favorite woods-walking guns, a Colt Police Positive, an S&W M-63, and a relative new comer, a 327 SP-101. Each of them rides in a similar holster. I make my own, but a Hunter holster will also do very well.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1100.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	242289

you pays your money and you takes your choice.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Bub
    The Bianchi 5BHL serves nicely as a field holster. I do wish that they would make their 111 Cyclone to fit a 3" J frame.
    All that is neccessary for evil to triumph is that good men do nothing.

Edmund Burke

Boolit Master
    I carry a 442 every day, it is my primary carry. I carry it in my right front pocket in a Sticky holster. Its well concealed and the most comfortable carrying ever. I understand the limitations of carrying a little J-frame in the pocket and accept it. Its so good that in letting 2 of my buddies try it, the replaced their carry gun/method with the same!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

First -1 for Simply Rugged.

I had a holster made for my 60-18 and I get back this stiff, overly heavy ridiculous looking thing for that svelte revolver. Guy totally ghosts me when I gave him some feedback. Should have just returned it.

Anyway, the Uncle Mikes side #3 fits well.

But for my money if you want an outside the waistband holster that will fit right and not be made of pachyderm hide get an AE Nelson #396.

My EDC is a 442 that I keep in my right front pocket in a DeSantis nemesis.

It sort of depends on if concealment is of issue and barrel length.

Boolit Grand Master
    How about a holster for a J-frame with adjustable sights and a three inch barrel with full underlug? My Model 60-4 looks (and shoots) like a miniature Model 686 and I’d like to find a secure and protective belt holster to carry it in the field (and woods!)

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I used 2 holster years ago in competition, one was Milt Sparks(closed front for Factory Class) and the other was a Davis(open front for Unlimited Class). Both excellent holsters and served me well. I liked the Milt Sparks a little better as he made it special for me to my specifications and fit me like a glove. I gave it to a fellow competitor when I quit competition in 89. Neither were cheap by any stretch of the imagination but they were extremely well made and were worth the money. james

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    First -1 for Simply Rugged.

I had a holster made for my 60-18 and I get back this stiff, overly heavy ridiculous looking thing for that svelte revolver. Guy totally ghosts me when I gave him some feedback. Should have just returned it.

Anyway, the Uncle Mikes side #3 fits well.

But for my money if you want an outside the waistband holster that will fit right and not be made of pachyderm hide get an AE Nelson #396.

My EDC is a 442 that I keep in my right front pocket in a DeSantis nemesis.

It sort of depends on if concealment is of issue and barrel length.
    So you got a simple and rugged holster, made by Simply Rugged, and you are surprised?

Simply Rugged does use stout leather, and stout designs. They are not for those who put a high emphasis on fancy looks.

I'm quite happy with mine, I have a silver dollar pancake for a 3" SP101, and a flap jack for a 5" GP100. Both are rugged holsters, and I love that robust, simple quality about them. That said, the flap jack is a poor design, and I would never recommend that one if you are looking for a covered holster. The swing up flap swings up when walking, but is a real barrier when drawing the handgun. It doesn't work at all under clothes. Luckily all I had to do was pull the cover off, it is only held on with two snaps, and toss it to the far back of the closet. Now it is nothing more than a Sourdough pancake holster.

Simply Rugged does not make a flap holster for a small frame handgun, so that makes the selection easy. Go with the Silver Dollar pancake. I would recommend adding the removable hammer strap. It can be removed easy if you don't like it. I have it on my flap jack (sourdough), but not on my silver dollar. The strap is a good design, with a long tag end. The holsters cover the entire frame, and hold firm without them too.

Mine is a Silver Dollar pancake. It's twice the size and weight it needs to be. It is a well fitted and made holster, but it is simply inappropriate, uncomfortable, and looks rudiclous. Sort of like attempting the Indy 500 in a Crown Vic ridiclous. It's rugged alright, but it isn't appropriate.
    Another holster maker has recently disappointed me, so I have decided to just make them myself.
    Any holster maker who doesn't have a no-bull excrement money back satisfaction guarantee like AE Nelson I would not recommend. AE Nelson can make many holsters for 3" j-frames.

Boolit Mold
    Another vote for Hunter. Green Frog, for my model 60-4, 3 inch with full lug, I use a hunter 1100–8. Works fine, despite an extra 1" of barrel space. Mine is a left-handed one, which I bought for a small dollars at a gun show, used.

Regards,

Dyson

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by curioushooter View Post
    Mine is a Silver Dollar pancake. It's twice the size and weight it needs to be. It is a well fitted and made holster, but it is simply inappropriate, uncomfortable, and looks rudiclous. Sort of like attempting the Indy 500 in a Crown Vic ridiclous. It's rugged alright, but it isn't appropriate.
    Another holster maker has recently disappointed me, so I have decided to just make them myself.
    Any holster maker who doesn't have a no-bull excrement money back satisfaction guarantee like AE Nelson I would not recommend. AE Nelson can make many holsters for 3" j-frames.
    That is odd, maybe he uses the same holster pattern for all silver dollar holsters? Mine is for a 3" sp101, and I couldn't imagine a more compact belt holster than the silver dollar pancake, at least not one that is comfortable. It's only long enough to barely cover the barrel.

I like the looks of that #77 pancake holster from AE Nelson, good price too. I might have to try that for the P220.

Boolit Master
    I think the problem for the OP is the 4" barrel. Pancake holsters start to be a bit 'big' with longer barrels. Goes to the reason for the pancake, to break up the pistol profile. With a long barrel that means a lot of leather down low. You can make a belt slide holster for longer barrels, but, technically it is no longer a 'pancake' since it isn't round anymore. I had the same problem with an Uncle Mike's holster and a Colt 4" .357 revolver.

Also, some like to use thinner leather and give up on the sturdiness of heavy leather that most makers use. I do that on holsters I make. I usually do not have the ability to reholster with one hand, but, I have never had a reason to do that with these holsters either. I give up some durability but I like the way they 'fit'. And when one does wear out I make another. A bonus is the thinner leather is much less expensive and easier to work with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast