Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: 348 mold for my Model 71

348 mold for my Model 71

I'm In the market for a couple of molds for my 71. My hopes are some suggestions from this group. looking for a 200 gr plus mold and I like heavy for caliber boolits. So I would also be interested in 250 gr or preferably in the 275 gr range.
    Haven't found a lot out there.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Accurate has several and if you want something heavier than those he has listed for the .348, any of the regular .35 cal. rifle bullets can be ordered in a smaller diameter for your .348
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Accurate Molds Catalog, contains several good candidates.
    35 - 235 B
    35 - 250 B
    Rick

Boolit Buddy
    I'd love to see Mihec build a 250 grain .348 bullet with the HP pins. That would be a versatile bullet.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Quote Originally Posted by mart View Post
    I'd love to see Mihec build a 250 grain .348 bullet with the HP pins. That would be a versatile bullet.
    I've been to his site looks like he make some quality molds. Accurate has some nice options it looks like. I need to slug my bore to go much further.
    Anyone with experience with cast in the 71 please chime in.

Boolit Buddy
    RCBS 200 grain G. C. shoots well in the 348 WCF. However it has a short nose and crimped in the crimp groove it’s not a very aesthetically looking loaded round. The Lyman 350447 is a 187 grain GC bullet, it groups nicely and looks proportionally correct crimped in the crimp groove. Bullets are Gas Checked and sized .3495 and loaded under H4831 with a Winchester Large Rifle Primer.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by glaciers View Post
    I'm In the market for a couple of molds for my 71. My hopes are some suggestions from this group. looking for a 200 gr plus mold and I like heavy for caliber boolits. So I would also be interested in 250 gr or preferably in the 275 gr range.
    Haven't found a lot out there.
    I have a CBE (Cast Bullet Engineering) 225 grain GC mold for mine - takes a Hornady gas check nice and seats just flush with the end of the case neck - if you go past 250 grain cast you are gonna have some of the lead - (driving bands and lube groove) exposed to powder burn inside the case - not an issue with a jacket bullet but dunno how smart of an idea that is with a cast boolit. Twould be a pointless excercise anyway I reckon - the 250gr is already three times longer than its diameter - a 250 grain gascheck should be able to take a full house load without serious leading.
    I shoot the 225 grain GC over 56 grains of W760 and gets 2350 FPS @ 20feet distance (that 225 boolit is .975 long)

Boolit Grand Master
    Attachment 242245
    The model 71 is one of my favorite rifles and is a good cast shooter. I have two molds for my Winchester 71. An RCBS 348-200 and an Accurate 35-220c. Personally, I have no use for heavier boolits in the .348, but there are some who do, as witness the 358-009 that Lyman formerly made. I seem to recall that MP made a group-buy copy a few years ago, but I could easily be wrong.
    Anyways, both the Accurate boolit and the RCBS are excellent choices,either group as well as I can shoot with appropriate loads of WW-760 or IMR 4350. For a fun plinker, size the 358-429 to .350 and load it over 13 grains of red dot. Out to 50 yards (or perhaps further--I haven't tried it at longer ranges) it groups well, albeit very low (I owe my brother a target stand). Starline has commenced making brass, which somewhat offsets the decision of Winchester to stop making it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0475.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	242276
    The model 71 is one of my favorite rifles and is a good cast shooter. I have two molds for my Winchester 71. An RCBS 348-200 and an Accurate 35-220c. Personally, I have no use for heavier boolits in the .348, but there are some who do, as witness the 358-009 that Lyman formerly made. I seem to recall that MP made a group-buy copy a few years ago, but I could easily be wrong.
    Anyways, both the Accurate boolit and the RCBS are excellent choices,either group as well as I can shoot with appropriate loads of WW-760 or IMR 4350. For a fun plinker, size the 358-429 to .350 and load it over 13 grains of red dot. Out to 50 yards (or perhaps further--I haven't tried it at longer ranges) it groups well, albeit very low (I owe my brother a target stand). Starline has commenced making brass, which somewhat offsets the decision of Winchester to stop making it.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.