Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 44 Carbine -- Suggested CB deer loads

Ruger 44 Carbine -- Suggested CB deer loads

I've just received a Ruger 44 Carbine from the estate of my oldest bestest friend.

My idea is to work up a CB load for it and take it out deer hunting this fall. For starters, I have a Lee TL430-240-SWC mold that I use with my Super Blackhawk, but I'm open to ideas. I am versed at powder coating.

What would y'all suggest as a good CB deer round?

Boolit Buddy
    I’m not sure but I think there are gas ports that get clogged up if you use cast lead in those carbines.

Something I remember hearing about

I don’t have one myself. Was going to get one but was discouraged because it’s not recommended for boolits. Apparently the gas ports clog and are not easy to clean out. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone tried using powder coated boolits in one of these Ruger 44 carbines?
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Mold
    My Ruger carbine is the only gun I own I don't reload for. Yes they are gas opperated and picky about ammo. Never had any luck with it with low velocity pistol loads. My gets fed rem. 240gr jsp

USMC 77, USRA 79

I own one. And cast for it... and have become an expert on tearing it down and keeping the gas port clean... yes lube can lodge in the port.. mine likes the lee 240gr Boolit. No heavies due to the twist rate. I load with H110.. this might not be the popular stance, but It works for me.. You should practice tearing it down and should be able to do it regular. I have never found lead in my gas port. Only lube. It is a great gun. And deadly. I do not powder coat. Yet.

Hope this helps

Marko
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo
    I have never found lead in my gas port. Only lube.
    Same here -- no lead at all.
    Solved the lube problem by using Liq ALOX.

With ALOX, you do not have to have "fully-filled" grooves. In fact (when I use it ) I just put some full strength on my thumb/forefinger
    and rotate the bullet/grooves between them -- usually 2-4 bullets per finger-full.
    Throw them into a slightly-warm oven on a plate and when dry -- VERY thin coat that way. Almost imperceptible.

Accurate 43-265MG RNFP-GC(#2)size 0.430"/Vihtavuori N110/19.2gr/Fed LrgPstlMag
    QL~29,663psi/1,720fps (Oehler) ---> Dependable 1-1/2 to 2" at 100yds

Had a couple of those ruger carbines over the decades. Was the rifle of choice when we hog hunted in the everglades.

I never had a problem shooting cast bullets in them. Back then I used cast/lubed bullets (429421) and kept the gas plug hole clean. I used to use 2 different plugs, 1 for 44mag loads (factory) and a second plug for the 44spl's. I bought a 2nd plug and drilled the gas port hole out larger so I could use/shoot 44spl's in it also. You'll know when the gas plug port needs cleaned, the rifle will start short stroking/FTF's.

Pc'd bullets would be the cat's meow in those ruger carbines. Any medium to heavy load with several powders will work. I'd be looking for accuracy 1st, that long bbl will give pretty good velocity even with medium loads.

I'm kind of thinking I'll experiment with powder coating and see how it goes. It won't harm the gun; just foul up the gas port, and then I'll know.

Just checking: with a 240 grainer, I won't have to use a GC, right?

Quote Originally Posted by shaman
    with a 240 grainer, I won't have to use a GC, right?
    No matter what, I'd use a gas check in a gas-ported barrel. Not only do the pressures req'd to funtion the action demand it, but the trailing edge of the bullet is where any softening from the heat/pressure is going to be bad juju when it passes over that port.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I own one as well never tried cast in it yet. I'll PC mine before I try it to keep it from leading. All I can tell you is my trigger is horrible. It pulls like a Mack truck stuck in the mud. Wish someone had a replacement trigger or someone on YouTube would show how to lighten it.

I will try some of my PC GC Lyman devastators through it eventually.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow... that surprises me about your trigger TB...

I'm going to eventually figure out how take it apart and do some polishing on it.

I never had any issues using plain based Keith style 429421 swc's in any of the 3 different ruger carbines I owned. Never had any issues with leading, I'd run 200/250 cast/lubed bullets thru them & clean everything. You don't need full house loads to get those ruger carbines to function either. Used to run those lyman 429421's in the +/- 1600fps range with 2400 in the carbines. Plenty accurate and more than enough smack for deer.

You want to see a real eye opener???
    Run some full house loads (27.5gr h110) in that carbine using either the cramer #142 (220gr Thompson design gc swc) or the lyman equivalent 429215. You'll be in the 1900fps+ range with that combo.

Boolit Master
    I've had two of these; one I bought new about 1975, the other was a used gun, I believe from the '60s. I shot conventionally lubed cast bullets in each. As I recall, I think I used the 240 SWC gas check design from RCBS. To function through the Ruger magazine, I had to seat this bullet deeper than I did for revolver use. Never had functioning problems and never cleaned the gas ports, though maybe it would have eventually been necessary. I don't remember splendid accuracy form either of my guns and perhaps that was my fault, but they probably would have worked okay for 100 yard deer hunting.

What would y'all think of the Lee C429-240-SWC GC'd and PC'd?

USMC 77, USRA 79

That’s the one I use...

Thanks to Marko’s video link I took my trigger apart today and polished it. It went from a good 7/8 lbs, if I had to guess, to now breaking consistently at a crisp 64 ounces and doesn’t even feel that heavy! Feels more like 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. Time to light it up!!!

Quote Originally Posted by shaman View Post
    What would y'all think of the Lee C429-240-SWC GC'd and PC'd?

I have the HP mold. I tried them PC and GC out of my 77/44. Accuracy was far from acceptable. The current solid version I’m sure dose a lot better. I’ve had outstanding accuracy with Lyman devastors out of the same rifle. I’ll have to try them in the Carbine.

I haven’t slugged it yet. What has been the average slugged diameter on the 44 carbines?

USMC 77, USRA 79

Thanks TB.. mine slugs at 429 thank God...

Here is the video in question with complete trigger disassembly. Trigger portion starts at around 10 min..

Marko..
    Last edited by Markopolo; 05-24-2019 at 11:35 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast