Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 44 Carbine -- Suggested CB deer loads

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    I own one. And cast for it... and have become an expert on tearing it down and keeping the gas port clean... yes lube can lodge in the port.. mine likes the lee 240gr Boolit. No heavies due to the twist rate. I load with H110.. this might not be the popular stance, but It works for me.. You should practice tearing it down and should be able to do it regular. I have never found lead in my gas port. Only lube. It is a great gun. And deadly. I do not powder coat. Yet.

Hope this helps

Marko
    Great info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The second video posted is the ticket! I’ve been wanting to tackle my trigger since I bought it and could never find any disassembly diagrams, or information on it. That video was posted last week. Apparently he knew that as well. I found an easier way to remove the spring he pulled out with the pliers. Mine wouldn’t come out so I removed a pin that the part in front of was held on with. Everything just fell our loosely. I used a pliers to compress that same spring it a little to reinsert the pin when reinstalling. I did this before installing the part it was compressed against. Worked great. The tow outer springs were a little challenging to figure out where the inside springs lined up when reinstalling as well but I figured it out. From all the videos I’ve been watching most shooters claim they have a 5.5 lb to 6 lb trigger pull. Best thing I ever did was take that thing apart to polish it. It’s definitely worlds of difference now and a usable hunting rifle with the light pull where before it was was a novelty gun IMO. Can’t wait to wack a deer with it.

I would assume I cannot use a foaming bore cleaner in this rifle since it would clog up the gas port? I tried foaming bore cleaner in my ARs for the same reason.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-25-2019 at 07:44 AM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I dont have any idea about that foaming bore cleaner.. don’t have it here and can’t get it shipped air...

Have you settled on a load yet??? Mine cycles good at around 20g of 110.. I forget where the cycle point is with 2400... need to check my notes..
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

I’m staying away from the foam. It gunks up if you don’t get it all out. No loads for mine yet either. Shot mine about five times and was disgusted with the horrible trigger pull so it’s been sitting ever since until I could figure out how to do trigger work on it, so I’m in the same game as the op.

Boolit Buddy
    Tripplebeards, Google Ruger 44 magnum rifle disassembly the first sight below the videos is ALLOUTDOORS.COM they have the complete disassembly instructions for the rifle. Runs 6 pgs on the web sight. I just printed a copy ran 17 pgs. paper. Hope this helps.

Can you post the above link? I mounted a VX1 2x7 with some PRW mounts I had laying around along with cleaning the barrel today so I'm ready to do some testing.

Boolit Master
    I have always loved the way the Ruger 44 carbines handled, but have never seen one that was accurate at all.....they made the Mini-14's look like benchrest guns. I have had experience with two of them and neither would keep 5 shots on a piece of letter stationary at 50 yards with factory ammo. I literally won a dinner shooting against my buddy with his carbine and me with a bow and arrow at 50 yds. He was shooting from a bench. 5"x8" groups at 50 yds. are unacceptable.

I often wondered if I could improve on that...…..decided I had other projects that showed more promise.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Mine does pretty well.. I haven’t experienced any of those issues with mine... I surely love it.

Tried mine at 100 yards today for the first time with some flex tips I loaded up. I wasn’t taking my time at all pulling the trigger pretty fast to almost rapidly and was getting fist size groups. I’ll have to pretend it’s a target rifle next trip along with some breath control and slow squeezing to see what it can really do. I could hit a whitetails boiler room at a 100 yards with not a lot of effort I found out today. I let 5 fly through it as fast as I could could pull the trigger. Almost sounded like an automatic. Lol, it’s a beast! There were a couple of old timers at the range scratching their heads...they thought it was a 10/22 till they heard it eat. The observers thought that rifle was the cats meow and never knew such a gun existed.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 05-31-2019 at 11:33 PM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Really a beast that is for sure.. resist the temptation to just squeeze rapid and start shooting like a bolt action and see if the beast turns into something else. 100 yards is all I ask of mine, and that is all I need.. is yours scoped??? I do want to scope mine.. it’s open sights now.. my problem is I don’t know what sort of bases to use, and I have NO screws that fit those holes for mounting a scope... I have a decent 4x Leopold that I could mount. Just gotta find the screws and bases.

Marko

Someone put a weaver type rail on mine and tapped a screw hole in the front of the receiver to mount it. I thought it was a factory set up when I bought it...maybe it is??? It actually looks great like Ruger made it that way. I mounted a leupold VX1 2x7 on it with a set of medium PRW rings I had laying around from my 450 BM American. Yeah, I knew better to only let it rip wide open once just so see but I know it’s impossible to find parts for it so I won’t be doing it again. I just wanted to make sure it functioned properly since I’ve never really had it out. I did video it burning through ammo and bouncing around on my rest while doing so. If I can figure how to post it I will. I know I posted a pic of it here about a year and a half ago for someone so there’s a pic buried of it in a cast boolits long lost post.

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    If it operates anything like the ar15 then you will need gas checks with your powder coated bullets. With this combination I can run my blackout at 1700-1800fps with no leading. I have fired a little over 1000rnds and have only ever need to use a bore snake and a microfiber cloth for cleaning.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Tripplebeards burning it up!!! Wooooo Hoooo..

https://gunstreamer.com/watch/NuWX2wFKLWBNjTY

OK; that was fast!

I have the MP version of the Devastator Mould I got in anticipation of the 77/44 that I haven't gotten yet. I always wanted a .44 Ruger Carbine but passed up a nice one with a Leupold 1-4x Variable on it for $625. I sat it back in the rack and someone else snatched it up!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

USMC 77, USRA 79

I don’t think you will hurt the gun shooting it fast like that.. let’s face it, it’s dang fun to throw 240 gr 44 Mags down range at that speed. Kick is very manageable.. but making a habit out of it can seriously deplete lead and powder stash, at least it did to mine...

I did notice mine developed a slight crack in the stock after a particular fun session experimenting with the lee 310 to see if it would stabilize the big lead Boolit, but alas, it was not meant to be. I was running them pretty hard too over Alliant 2400, hoping to get velocity up there a ways to stabilize, but my gun hated them.. and that is when I noticed the crack starting... the action is hardy and rugged, but the wooden stocks seem to be the weak point in that gun... what I wouldn’t do to get a hold of a synthetic stock, and save the old wooden stock. That way it could be a real good Alaskan brush gun.. but I dont want to ruin my wooden stock climbing through the SE Alaska salty rain forest. I did repair the crack, no big deal, but even to replace the stock with a wooden stock at some point they aren’t cheap and only semi Inlet stocks. It is definitely not a summer project finishing the stock to fit. It is something you do in the winter when you got time. I had to fuss and fuss over many days to get a semi inletted stock to ride correctly on my bubba universal .30 carbine.. getting it to slide right.

Something to consider if your gunna ride the gun hard. But they are a real sweet gun in my book.

The load I let fly was either 21.3, 21.5, or 21.7 grains of H110 with 225 grain hornady flex tips. Even though I knew it would be hard on the gun I just had to see it eat! All fed and functioned beautiful. I sighted it in with 21.7 grains and only had two left when I zeroed it at a 100 yards. I laid the two shots approx 2” apart of not less. I did look the the stock over before and after to make sure it was ok. I don’t think I’ll shoot any bullets heavier than the hornady 265 grain soft point just because I don’t want to have to cry when my stock cracks. At least I know it’s charging bear medicine!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 06-02-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phineas Bluster View Post
    This is a typical 100 yard target from the one Ruger 44RS to which I have access. This particular carbine seems to shoot four to five M.O.A. on the average. Nothing to brag about, but more than adequate for whitetails inside of 100 yards.

Attachment 242853

Carbine: Ruger 44RS
    Cartridge: .44 Remington Magnum
    Case: FC
    Primer: Federal #150
    Powder: IMR4227
    Charge: 23.0 Grains
    Bullet: RCBS 44-240-SWC
    Alloy: 40:1 - Perhaps a tougher alloy may reduce the average a bit.
    Diameter: .430"
    Gas Check: Hornady, Annealed
    Lube: RCBS Alox
    Cartridge L.O.A.: 1.675"
    Note: Magazine capacity reduced from four to three rounds due to cartridge length.

Sight: Bushnell 3-9 Variable

Target: NRA A14 - 100 Yard Smallbore Target

Range: 100 Yards

Note: No failures to feed nor eject with this load.

Date: April 12, 2019

PB
    That’s about what mine did...or worse, before I lightened the trigger to 4 lbs.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I wonder what it would take to get a synthetic stock made for it??? Who would even do it? I know it’s been done before cuz I seen a pic of one once... won’t be long before you send your stock in and can have one 3d printed...

I always wondered if I could cobble a 10/22 stock to make it fit? Hogue use to, or maybe still dose offer a bedded over molded stock. I always wanted to see how far off it is. Grind away and pile in a ton of acraglass if needed.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Hey.. check this out..

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	57-EE7445-A4-F2-40-A2-9605-5-F1-B66055-AD0.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	47.8 KB 
ID:	242855

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C1-F4155-A-E63-C-4428-BFBA-52-DC79671-B36.png 
Views:	24 
Size:	266.1 KB 
ID:	242856

Some company called MPI custom stocks... might have to look into this..
    Last edited by Markopolo; 06-01-2019 at 11:49 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast