MidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastcoLoad DataTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: H&R 58 22 hornet

Banned

Don't be afraid to neck size only. The general wisdom is it only works in bolt actions, but it's all I do in my Savage 219 so it oughta work in that H&R.

I have two loads in Hornet; squirrel load A is a NOE 45 grain WFN design, plain based and two grains of Bullseye. Squirrel load B is the Lee Bator (Midsouth sold it a while back, the current Lee is a copy of the RCBS bullet, not the Bator), cast very soft, gas checked and using 6 grains of 2400. That one is a bit more meat destructive, but my Stevens 322 won't feed the NOE bullet so that's where the Bator comes in.

If I need a .22 centerfire for more than that, I'll grab one of my .223s.

Me & Bro had H&R Hornets back in 80s. Rifles were accurate the worst think was the trigger. We ruined parts and springs trying to get a decent trigger pull. We never got it done. I still have springs left from the project. I was buying them buy 10pks. It runs on one spring and it's a shotgun trigger not much you can do with it. It's a utility gun not a target rifle. I wouldn't mess with it because other than springs I don't know if parts are still available. Good truck gun.

Boolit Master
    I have one that came with .22 Hornet and 20 gauge barrels. The Hornet barrel is 1:16" twist, which is the standard for Hornets (although some are faster now). Great cast boolit rifle. Mine stabilizes 55 grain Lyman 225415 boolits as long as I don't try to load it down to .22LR speeds. Probably same for the Bator; I have one but don't think I've tried it in this rifle yet.
    With a 45 grain or less cast boolit, you can load it down to subsonic levels.

Boolit Master

I actually bought a SB2 in .223 and had a .45-70, .30-30 and a 20ga youth bbl fitted to it. And bought a youth buttstock for my Kids.

Wish I had a couple more. But I waited too long.

The .223 and .30-30 are neck-sized. Never had a case separation. .30-30 shoots cast better then any other Rifle I shoot cast in.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

i have the SB2 handi rifle in 22hornet i prefer the 225450 47gr cast from lyman NOE has cloned it. for red fox squirrels here in KS i cast from COWW PC'd and checked over 10gr of 4227IMR it clocks around 1900fps as does the 45gr hornady hornet j-word and planting groups of five inside a dime at 100. during coyote time i use the 225450 from straight printer letter alloy over 10.5gr IMR4227 clocking around 2200fps.

Boolit Mold
    I tried the 10.5 grn 4227 load w/40 grn j bullet with very good results. Thank you

Boolit Master

Years ago many were re-chambered to 223 but they did not shoot well with the slow twist.

I had one for years that my dad traded into for some comic books. The accompanying 20 gauge barrel didn't lock up well so it was a truck gun for us. It wasn't a very accurate rifle, and I abused the heck out of it for 10+ years of gunsmithing hacks, neglect, and wet weather varmint hunting.

It originally had a horrendously sloppy chamber, so I ran a k hornet in (too deep) and created a super weird short necked abomination. If the cases didn't split fire forming, I just necked sized until the brass stretched too much and I gave it a little bump. I also shortened the barrel a couple inches (along with threading it for a flash suppressor...for some reason I no longer remember) and it would fit under the split bench seats in my truck.

In factory form it was probably a 4 moa rifle by the time I got it. I got it to shoot into maybe 2.5 after all of my 'improvements'. It liked the now discontinued 45 gr bee bullet from hornady. I traded it off a couple years ago to a friend who wanted to rechamber it to some sort of .222 or .223 based wildcat.

I actually kind of miss it. It was good, light rifle I didn't mind taking in the canoe or leave in the combine. I'd buy another one, and gamble on getting a better chamber/accuracy. I've had several sb2 Hornets and a handful of contenders...but they are all a couple pounds heavier than that old h&r.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a model 58 in 22 Hornet till fairly recently,and it was a decent shooter concidering it had cheap glass.They have a slightly more swept back,and thinner hammer than most handi-rifles which does allow some space to get your thumb on it to cock,and decock it without an extention even with the scope mounted low.mine had the iron sights as well.It would stabilize 46gr Speer flat nose .I used Lil Gun shotgun powder,and just sized the neck down to the bullet depth.I got good velocity for a standard Hornet with this combo at the muzzle ,but that flat nose bullet has poor B.C..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12