RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R 58 22 hornet

Boolit Mold

H&R 58 22 hornet

Anyone have any knowledge of these ? Just found in a pawn store with 4x weaver steel scope mounted. Has straight butt stock. I coudn't pass it up. Thank you

Boolit Master
    What do you want to know?
    Mine shoots just fine.
    Don't know if you might be looking to add other barrels to that frame, but the 58 was not a high pressure frame, so you'll be limited to "I think" the hornet, 20ga shotgun, 410 shotgun, "maybe" 12ga, and "maybe" 30-30. My memory ain't so good as it once was, but all of the info that you want is over on GBO, in their H&R/NEF section.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Grand Master

If it is an older one the twist os for 40-45 grain bullets you will need to measure. Otherwise good shooters and good on coyote up to 100 yards or so.

Boolit Buddy
    Nice light weight rifle for field walking. Glad you grabbed it

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Wish I could run across one like that.

got one that was my Dad's. wouldn't part with it for anything.

Banned

A downloaded single shot Hornet is great. My favorite squirrel rifle.

Boolit Mold
    If you find it a bit anemic you can always bore it to a .221 Fireball or .222 too. I have a Thompson barrel that someone did that too. Really enjoy my TC in Fireball.

Boolit Master

Obssd1958 is right. That frame is limited to lower pressure loads. That's why the old frames were limited to cartridges such as .22Hornet, .30-30, .45-70 & .44Mag.

Newer frames made specifically for High Pressure Cartridges such as .270Win that were made in middle 1990's, could. Until the purchase of the Company by Marlin, those frames were made stronger.

The old model 058 are not strong enough to handle a cartridge as hot as .223 Rem. or .221 Fireball.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Buddy
    weik I hope yours has a better trigger than mine. Bought mine in 79 and liked it alot but with the horrible trigger pull I could never get mine to shoot groups less than 3" @ 100 yds with any bullet or powder combination. I have seen you tube videos on how to lighten trigger pull but looks too complicated for me. Not sure that the trigger pull is my only problem as the groups don't look like I am pulling shots but rather the groups are just random high, low, left, right. I can shoot 20 round groups and they are all in the same general grouping as the 5 round groups. I don't have a trigger pull gauge but I would guess it at around 15 to 20 #. Have still killed 5 or 6 coyotes with it plus many other varmints around the property. Handi little rifle for a truck gun. Make sure you have your hand over the chamber when opening the action as this model has a ejector not a extractor. Empty brass will travel a long distance and never be seen again.

Banned

Cast iron frame, don't mess with it. Wayyyyy too many cheap .223s out there if you want that.

I never understood why everybody seems to want to hotrod a Hornet, too many .22 centerfires that do that much better and the real beauty of the Hornet is how easy it downloads. It's kind of like the .30-30 in that regard, it handles reduced loads a lot better than the bigger ones, at least in my experience.

Boolit Master

I got a 258 Handy rifle years ago with a 20 ga barrel and a 30/30 barrel. I then got one of the Lee 160 gr round nose molds and started in casting and found that it was pretty easy to get the thing to shoot well. The 258 is nickle plated and mine came in a take down case. The 20 ga barrel makes for a really light shotgun that I have never been able to hit with, probably due to lack of practice.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master
    I helped a young fellow I worked with , get his grandfather's 22 hornet shooting good again with Hornady 40 gr v-max over a light charge . We struggled with cast a wile then I just ordered bulk 40 gr v-max , he might shoot 100-150 rounds a year . As mentioned those suckers chunk spent brass , watch out .

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by frkelly74 View Post
    I got a 258 Handy rifle years ago with a 20 ga barrel and a 30/30 barrel. I then got one of the Lee 160 gr round nose molds and started in casting and found that it was pretty easy to get the thing to shoot well. The 258 is nickle plated and mine came in a take down case. The 20 ga barrel makes for a really light shotgun that I have never been able to hit with, probably due to lack of practice.
    Like this one?
    Attachment 242445

I configured it with the youth stock for my youngest son's first deer rifle, but it's fun to plink with and is a good shooter with cast.

I like my Savage 219 in the Hornet better than the H&Rs, but the little H&Rs are neat guns, no doubt.

Boolit Master

Yes , kind of like that, but with a straight grip wood stock. The butt is a little slippery so when I shoot from the bench I have to hold on tight.
    Quis Quis Quis, Quis Liberat Canes

/////////BREAKING NEWS////////////
    Millions and millions of American shooters and sportsmen got up, went to work, contributed to society in useful and meaningful ways all over the nation and shot no one today! How do they controll themselves?? Experts Baffled....

I LIKE IKE

Boolit Master

Its a fine gun!!

Yes, its not as strong as modern SB2 frames. YES, its a soldered lug. YES, its probably 1:14... SO WHAT!!!! Its a hornet, you are ahooting 35,40 & 45g bullets!! But PLENTY STRONG FOR A Hornet or K Hornet.
    Guys over at Greybeards have forgotten what many think they know of these.

If you like it and price is right go for it. Prices are raising and its doubtful you will loose out should you sell. I have had a few, took a few to get a real accurate one for me.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the info fellas. I have just picked up a 75 chev 3/4 ton 4 w/d for a ranch truck and the handi lives behind the seat now. Had it out to the range sat. the trigger pull isn't to awful and accuracy was good at 50 yrds. I have 3 other hornets and a fireball and a bee so it will remain what is. a fine little truck gun. Thanks again TW

Banned

weik, are you going to try cast loads in it?

Boolit Mold
    I hadn't thought of using cast in it. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you

My friend bought one just like you have in the early 1970s. We learned a couple of things about the 22 Hornet. It will kill deer with neck shots at close range, and if you full length size your cases eventually you will get a head separation. It is a very cool little rifle though.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast