Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stray Dogs

in Remebrance

Stray Dogs

One of the minor problems out here in the rural. I really wasn't sleeping well last night anyway, but my 2 Corgis kept running to the back door raising holy ned. Get up with my .45 in hand, nothing, nada. Finally got a couple hrs sleep. After daylight got up, there the thing was hanging by the patio door. As usual it was a big hound looking thing, bones about to pop through all over. Dang it if you feed the poor thing it'll never leave, I just can't bring myself to go ahead and shoot it for a multitude of reasons not the least of which is that I gotta haul it off. Lot of yelling, cussing, and a mag of .22's in the ground and it seems to have left, at least for now. Really it's the owners that I'd love to shoot. Rant over. GW
    "If you can walk with crowds and keep your virtue,
    Or walk with Kings, nor lose the common touch,
    Yours is the earth and everything that's in it,
    And, which is more, you'll be a man my son!" R. Kipling

"Brother to a Prince, and fellow to a pauper, if found worthy." Kipling

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a tough position to be in. If you feed it, its yours. If you drove it off you feel guilty. Maybe it found its way someplace else.

Boolit Master
    Well I’m a sucker for dogs in need. I love dogs. People not so much. I would feed the dog in the hopes it might leed me back to the owner. What I’d do to him is an whole Nother story!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    If, and it's a big if, your county has an animal control office, call them. They should be glad to pick up a starving dog and the fact that it won't go away would make their job easier.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I just couldn't help myself i would have feed it to. I now have three dogs two of which i never intended to have. A cat well they can fend for themselves but wouldn't let one of them starve ether. I am with poppy i think a lot more of my dogs than most people. There is nothing more loyal than a dog.

It can be anywhere. I had someone drop off a 8 or nine week old blue heeler pup back in Mississippi. Found out a neighbor a mile down the road had one too. THOSE are the folks I want to use the .45 on.
    Same with a kitten, who was the best cat in the world for about 9 years..... I've only had one here in NWA, was a really pretty Pit bull yearling. I couldn't get my hands on him he wouldn't let me get closer than 50 feet.
    Woman finally came by and was able to get ahold of him. Supposedly her son's dog, seems his wife didn't like it and dropped off in the country.....

Boolit Master
    Sometimes a person might be doing the animal a favor by putting them out of their misery that was inflicted by somebody else's negligence

Boolit Master

sorry but there is no excuse for not helping an animal in need, a bowl of food for a starving critter is the least a person can do and a call to the sheriff will get somebody there to pick it up and take it to a shelter. there but for the grace of god go I.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Bayjoe that may be true but i couldn't be the one to do it. I just can't bring myself to harm a animal and will never understand anyone who does. And i am not talking about hunting that is nessary .i mean to be cruel for the sake of being cruel.

Boolit Master
    There's a difference between being cruel and putting a creature out of its misery. Dumping the dog off is about as cruel as can be, unless there are sub humans that like to torture animals.

In this city, if you feed a stray cat or dog it's considered yours and you'd best have a collar with a current rabies vaccination tag on it. Plus it can't be wandering around loose.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Grand Master

Feed it and have the sheriff come pick it up. Most truly rural areas don't have animal control so the Sheriffs or police provide this service.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RED BEAR View Post
    I just couldn't help myself i would have feed it to. I now have three dogs two of which i never intended to have. A cat well they can fend for themselves but wouldn't let one of them starve ether. I am with poppy i think a lot more of my dogs than most people. There is nothing more loyal than a dog.
    Amen to that.
    I’ve had to shoot a couple of injured dogs when I was a teenager, and one beautiful red-tick ***** that would not stay out of our chicken coop.
    Always hurt like hell doing it.

Boolit Master
    There are very few strays around here anymore because of the coyotes, and the fact that strays get treated like coyotes don't bode well for them either!

Boolit Master
    you lose a cow or a horse then you will have no problem shooting them.

Boolit Master

Exactly the case here. As a kid growing up we had strays all over. Was common place! My lil sister was chased home one day, the next morning I took out trash, and it was there starin me down! Then like a light switch, ears pinned back head low in a deep growl. As it got close my #13 took him under the chin. He flipped over, and laid in the front yard for hours. Pop thought I killed it!! 260# & 6’ wearing 32” Jeans. I was a force in high school...

Today almost never. For about 20-25 days last month I could hear coyote pups up over the hill in front of my house at dusk.I went to investigate three times and the den is very well
    Positioned and no dogs where found. But you can surely hear them. I spoke with a neighbor telling her what they are she said ooh thats puppies. She is right, but coyote puppies!! Signs all over about lost cats.. Id like to change the title to coyote food...

My lil 20# Lahsa is a very good listener. But still is on a leade when out after dark.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    sorry but there is no excuse for not helping an animal in need, a bowl of food for a starving critter is the least a person can do and a call to the sheriff will get somebody there to pick it up and take it to a shelter. there but for the grace of god go I.
    I agree with you. Animals sometimes need our help and understanding and you cannot blame a dog because they had a stupid irresponsible owner.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    I agree with you. Animals sometimes need our help and understanding and you cannot blame a dog because they had a stupid irresponsible owner.
    They’re kinda like young adults that way.

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    Well I’m a sucker for dogs in need. I love dogs. People not so much. I would feed the dog in the hopes it might leed me back to the owner. What I’d do to him is an whole Nother story!
    Same! Some people dont care. And alot of times they may of had a litter somewhere so they wont even eat the food. They will bring it back to their puppers.

In Remembrance

My dad used to live in the ideal spot for people to dump unwanted animals off, he was always getting new dogs and cats. When he had his back and open heart surgerys he couldn't care for all them, he was down to two dogs so they stayed and my wife and I took what what we could catch (19) cats to the pound. The pound was ok with that because they were warned and most were kittens, they claimed they didn't have much trouble getting rid of the young ones.

Boolit Buddy
    One or two a year is not a big thing. where I grew up some years we would have to deal with 15 or 20 a year.
    No, animal control would not pick up anything not tied up for them. you could not lay a hand on these.
    Yes they will form a pack and roam together. yes they kill livestock. Mom's little dog got chewed up several times.
    Last bunch I helped deal with basically mugged our neighbor when she went to feed her dogs, which where penned up. Small pack, they where dealt with.
    Did we tame and adopt a few, yes, but after they form a pack the SSS principle has to be applied. never liked it, but we did it.
    CF
    PS i's rather beat the crud out of people who drop off dogs in the woods than deal with the dogs.
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast