MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication

Thread: Paper Patched 308

Paper Patched 308

Eager to start paper patching bullets for my 308. I have a Lee .309 mold that throws 200 grain WW boolits. What would be the proper method to paper patch these bullets and start shooting? Di i need a custom mold to throw .301 or .302 diameter bullets to allow fir the paper patch?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15584911549097352732049810130790.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	34.9 KB 
ID:	242220  

No, some folks cast soft and and patch then run through the push through sizer of correct diameter (patch to fill the throat not to bore dia)

I've never done that but ordered a custom push through sizer at .301 from Lee...that works well but alloy must be soft.

Lots of great info here, I'd recommend getting some casting alloy and doing a chamber cast to see what your throat diameter is. Hey happy hunting and good luck!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I shot paper patched cast bullets out of a 308 Win barrel on a H&R Handi-Rifle.
    I size the bullets to .300 before paper patching. The patched bullets are lubed with Lee lube before being sized to .309 thru a Lee push thru sizing die.
    The loaded ammo shoots well in the Handi-Rifle.

Ok, thanks guys. So I've found molds that drop boolits at .301, should i get one with or without a gas check?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterbean View Post
    Ok, thanks guys. So I've found molds that drop boolits at .301, should i get one with or without a gas check?
    Some guns don't like some bullets...I'm all for buying molds, got a closet full of em. But. I'd look into a .301 sizing die first and use the mold you have....and you can try other bullet profiles for the price of the mold that will fit both patched and unpatched.

Now all that to say I have been tempted to get a .301 mold made for paper patching...but just throwing out my .02 dont want you to get stuck with a mold thst drops only for paper patching in your rifle and your gun just doesn't work well with it

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

A gas check isn't needed for PP. I have this mold from Accurate, and it does quite well in the 30-06. I think it would probably work well in the 308W too. My mold casts at .3025 with the very soft alloys I use, and I size it to .301 in a push through sizer. I then wrap and size again to .310. "Slower" powders seem to work the best for me, if you have any W760 you might try that one in the 308W. Hope this helps.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=30-190P-D.png

90 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have a .301 sizer that Buckshot made for me . Ammohead has part of Buckshot's tooling and has been working out to bugs .

I also purchased the NOE 301-172 version of the Lyman/NRA 301618 . Mine drops my pistol alloy and rifle alloy at .301&.3015 .
    The pistol alloy is good in 30-30 and 308 , I used the rifle alloy in the 06' for several reasons .

The matrix printer chain paper aka green bar paper is an excellent choice .

For in depth paper information see the paper sticky in BP paper patching section .
    Twist doesn't seem make as big a difference with paper as naked cast . I shot some in a 264 WM for why not .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .