Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Shot shell wad subing

Boolit Man

Shot shell wad subing

Hi i need a few questions answered. Im looking into subbing out the remington sp12wad for a lbc wad from ballistic products.The-wads are **** for the fiocchi hulls im using (wrong published data) it leaks powder past wad.... now im thinking if the powder weight -shot weight and primer stay the same and as long as the stack height isnt too long i should be safe correct?

Boolit Grand Master

NO, shotshell reloading is a recipe that has to be followed exactly (or very near to it). Arbitrarily changing one wad for another is not recommended and can cause drastic pressure spikes. It is not like metallic reloading where you can mix and match components.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Man
    Ok thanks so now what book/manual has load data for the lbc wads? Im looking for a lead recipe for yote and turkeys... i cant find jack about them seems stupid that they make them but dont offer data..

Boolit Master

Check Ballistic Products, if they make/sell it have info on it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Actually i do this quite a bit but i don't hunt and only shoot for fun i can keep my loads on the very light side. I wouldn't ever switch components on full power loads. I just bought an auto loader and had to go over published dats to get it to cycle. Only 1/2 grain over but still over. Anytime i mix components which is often i always start low and work my way up.

Boolit Man
    good to know. i did talk to ballistic products and they didnt give me a really good answer nor had much load data. Im going to back the powder off by 10 or so grains and see what i come up with the the lbc wad.

vinny: I'm not one to advocate straying far of published shotgun data but it's my personal opinion that the wad used to build the load is of lesser concern than other components. Myself, if I stayed conservative on the powder charge and the wad fit and made a proper crimp, I'd use it. All this said, if you stray off published data, you're on your own. Gp

Boolit Man
    agreed i know not to stray too far from published data; but i kinda look at shot shell reloading like building a muscle car. got to match the tranni to motor other wise boom busted car "gun in this case or worse". wheels etc have apart but not as much as the other so to speak.

Boolit Buddy
    Check the powder manufacturer for data. Most have data with most wads and primers combos.

Advantages Manual sold by BPC. Find the hull and hope like heck they list that wad.
    If they don't, see what they do list and buy some more wads.

Its not worth the risk of damage to a good gun or yourself.

Metallic loading tends to have room to spare, pressure wise.

Shotgun is the opposite. For entirely too many loads a single substitution of primer, or wad can raise pressures dramatically. So don't go into this blind. Do the research, call BPC, they have great people there. Ask them.

Also a lot of their wads come with load info if you look for it.

Boolit Master
    I'm not sure , but isn't the Remington SP 12 wad for taped hulls , and Fiocchi a straight wall hull .

Boolit Man
    Yup the alliant powder company got their recipe wrong its where i got my data from...

toallmy I believe sir you are correct.

toallmy I believe sir you are correct.

"Fiocchi 616 primer + 17.5 gr. Red Dot with a CB SO clone and 1 oz. #8's makes a great 16 yd. load. I've loaded thousands of them without a hitch."

To me this is the one place the shotgun reloading industry is failing new reloaders.
    Hulls and Wads should be clearly marked which ones work together well, and which do not.

I suspect that "SO clone" is based off the federal wad.

Might want to look at this one.
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Fi...tinfo/064RS21/

Boolit Master
    The Lyman shot shell reloading manual has a wealth of information on wad / hull combinations . I liked the 4th edition more than the 5th edition due to ( I believe ) better hull identification . But if you spend a little time looking through load combinations you relies multiple combinations with similar wads , this helps when trying to pick wads to keep on hand . Be safe

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Alliant is max loads on there rifle and pistols not sure bout shot shells. I must admit i buy whats cheap and go from there. I bought a load of primed hulls a few years back and picked up lot of hulls on sale. I use cardboard wads i make myself with punch to adjust height. As i say i don't hunt and just shoot for the fun of it so if it goes bang and hits the target i am good. I am no great shot by anyone's standard especially since i need mr magoo glasses to see but i just love to go out and shoot my guns.

Boolit Master

The Devil is as always in the details. Max safe SAMMI loads are 12000 psi. If the load you are working from is close to max then there is a reasonable chance that subbing a different wad will put you over the SAMMI max. If the load you're working from is in the 8-9KPSI range then the chances of going over max are pretty small. That said there is a lot of load data out there and the wad manufacturer is who I would look to for safe load data.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Boolit Buddy
    Well said. I load a lot of steel shot and some subbing of components occurs. I can't recommend it, but it happens because sometimes there is not data for what you have. Another thing you can do is to drop to a mild primer. The primer can make huge differences in pressure, so that definitely helps.

Boolit Master

One frequent poster suggested using a piece of paper under the wad and showed how it prevented powder migration in clear hulls.
    Ajay, perhaps?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!