Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: I got a GREAT birthday present......Pair of Remington 1858's

Boolit Master

I got a GREAT birthday present......Pair of Remington 1858's

Last week I was looking around on GunBroker and there were a pair of consecutive numbered ASM 1858 Remington new model revolvers. I mentioned to my wife who was near by they would be a nice birthday present and that she could afford them easily. She surprised me and said go ahead and get them if they are in good shape so I contacted the seller and they had been shot a cylinder load in each one and the owner had decided black powder was too much trouble! They had been cleaned, had no rust and they were guaranteed to be in good shape so I got them. Sure enough they are neat and in great shape. I have wads, balls and spent an hour last night making a tool that allows me to pull the nipples for cleaning.

Pretty nice birthday present I'd say and tomorrow I'll try them out during my RO duty day at lunch time. The trigger pull is much lighter than the Colt-Walker I used to have so they should do well.
    John

Happy Birthday! If one is nice, two are always better!

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    That sounds like you cleaned up. Happy birthday.

I once bought an unfired ASM Remington that had a frame that was made with non-magnetic stainless steel.
    I think that the frame was painted instead of blued to save on finishing costs or to help better color match the blued barrel and cylinder.
    I would have never known that it was non-magnetic other than I had decided to put a magnet to it for no reason.
    At first I thought it was aluminum until I put it on a scale to compare its weight and realized that would have been impossible.
    It was made in 1999 and proof marked "BM".
    It had a serial number that began with the letter "E" stamped on the bottom of the grip frame and the number "300" was stamped on the barrel under the loading lever.
    ASM made some real museum pieces.

oldracer, what's the proof date code stamped on your 2 ASM Remingtons?
    It's usually 2 letters inside of a small box on the side of the frame [or Roman numerals].

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1130036a.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	34.3 KB 
ID:	242188

Name:	P1130038a.jpg 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	242189

Name:	P1130026a.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	26.1 KB 
ID:	242190

Name:	P1130035a.jpg 
Size:	52.1 KB 
ID:	242191

The frame also had a small casting mark above the trigger guard.

Name:	P1130020ab.JPG 
Views:	289 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	242193
    Last edited by arcticap; 05-21-2019 at 01:51 PM.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info, I took a look and the frame is marked "BM" on both guns so they were made in 1999 probably. The last two numbers on the bottom of the gun a xxx66 and xxx67 which the fellow who was selling them said it is hard to get consecutive serial numbers? One had been fired as the area around the nipples was not super clean and the cylinder of the other doesn't appear to have ever been turned as there are no marks on it.

What load did you use on yours as I an thinking of 40 grains of Goex FFG as that is what I used in the Colt-Walker I had although I used 50 grains I think? The FFG worked okay although many forums say to use FFFG but there doesn't seen to be a lot of difference?
    John

Boolit Master
    Happy B-day! & Great deal on the revolvers!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

Just make sure when you put the nipples on you get them tight. If they are loose this will cause chain fire.

Boolit Master
    Remington's rule!!!

About 30 grains of 3f to start. If the loading lever opens itself when you fire; that's too much

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Happy birthday TbG

A Remington replica only holds a limited amount of powder and I doubt you can load 40 grains of black. I enjoyed loading about 35 grains in my Colt/Remington replicas. As stated, makes sure the nipples are tight and grease the ball. We used to have a fun event where we would time it and see how fast you could knock wood blocks of a plank. Kind of like modern bowling pin.
    DEP

Boolit Grand Master

I shoot Remington's 45,36 and 32 for fun and target. In the 44 I use a 38 special case 28 grains of FFFG and a wad and either a ball or a lee bullet, depending on the target. That is way plenty for anything you might need the gun for. Check out Mike Cumpston's Percussion revolvers for the exact figures on fps and energy. The 36 uses 20 grains of FFFg and a wad and a ball.

You don't need a max load to kill paper or rabbits you want accuracy. With the right load for your gun you should expect 2-3" at 25 yards.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the info about the book on percussion revolvers as I got a copy of it. I copied it to my iPhone so I can read it when waiting at the doctors office for me or my wife as we both have lots of appointments now days!
    John

I love my '58 Remi.....and my Colt lovin' buddy hates it! I also have some Colts.....probably a few more than the Remis, but I love, love, love breakin' out the '58 and shooting as well as he can!
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    A Remington replica only holds a limited amount of powder and I doubt you can load 40 grains of black. I enjoyed loading about 35 grains in my Colt/Remington replicas. As stated, makes sure the nipples are tight and grease the ball. We used to have a fun event where we would time it and see how fast you could knock wood blocks of a plank. Kind of like modern bowling pin.
    DEP
    I used to load mine with as much powder as I could fit under the ball (no wad). IIRC 35gn or so was about all that would fit. I made a spout for my powder flask that would pour that amount. Muzzle velocity was somewhere in the 1400fps range. Fun to shoot.

In Remembrance
    A belated happy birthday, sounds like you treated yourself well. As others have stated, you won't get Walker-type loads in that shorter cylinder. Loose nipples cause chain fires? I have been shooting percussion revolvers for 47 years and never heard that before. Loose caps....maybe. Lots of opinions on the cause. You will want pure or very soft lead to cast into round balls. A thin "washer" of lead should be shaved off the ball when loading it into the cylinder. Use either a lube cookie (or lubed wad) under the ball or apply grease over it when loading. Good luck, and have fun with your new toys!
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Well they sure shoot! Ran two cylinders through each one and they shot the center out of my target at 25 yards. I bought one of the RMC nipple wrenches this week and made sure all were tight. I used 30 grains of FFG Goex and that went bang very well.