MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can't do the hand priming much anymore

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by justonemorear View Post
    If the Lee holders work then about how much do they need to be opened?
    Will the Dillon p/u tubes work w/ the unit, got a line on a few cheap.
    thanks
    Never require anything other than cleaning, just run a brush through and a clean patch on ones I had used for years

Boolit Mold
    Yes that was all I needed to due.
    Working great.
    thanks

Boolit Master
    I have one of the round hopper Lee hand primer things and it works well but I don't use it much as I usually just use primer set up on my Lyman AA or the Dillon 550. Never have seen the reason for priming on anything other than the press.

Boolit Mold
    3500 primer brass done, averaged about 400 per hour when I finally got the rhythm down, darn small primer 45acp mixed in the large slowed me

Boolit Master

Congrats! Glad you found a good solution to the problem. I’ve had an RCBS Bench Priming Tool since I got my first single stage, a JR3 in the early ‘80s. It’s still going strong.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    Used a dremel moto tool with a small mounted stone to polish/ grind the hole larger on the shell holders.Mine were hardened where the hole is and would dull a drill bit.

Boolit Master

I just packed an old style RCBS Bench Primer that was a single loader in preperation to move. I've used it for small batches of rifle brass for 30+ years, a bit tedious but consistant seating depth. I have and RCBS hand primer but looking to upgrade to the RCBS APS Bench Primer due to the same thing (thumb joints). Wish I knew what box in storage it was, I'd pass it along fo free! Good luck in your seach.
    Last edited by Greg S; 02-06-2020 at 08:56 PM.

Boolit Master
    Got a Lee Auto Prime II many years ago, liked it so much picked up several more off E-bay for relatives and have a spare one still in the box in case of breakage. Picked up spare parts from Lee at the time also before their stocks ran out. Mine is in the little Lee C press mounted a piece of 1X4 that gets C clamped to my bench when priming. The little press has plenty of leverage but is delicate enough to let you feel the primer bottom in the pocket, and more important is easy on my arthritis. Only negative is it restricts you to certain brands of primers.

Boolit Master
    GONRA uses, REALLY LIKES this small bench mounted RCBS tool: RCBS Standard Priming Tool 09512 and RCBS Primer Rod Assembly 09471.
    Bet RCBS could sell lottsa these - BUT THEY AREN'T MADE ANYMORE! @#$%!^&

The LEE Auto Bench Prime is great! very easy on the hands, no gripping and NO individual primers need to be picked up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	810mhs3F3JL._AC_SX425_[1].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	256746

Boolit Buddy
    I've noticed that a little grease on the bearing surfaces make the priming process/power needed much more reasonable.

Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    The LEE Auto Bench Prime is great! very easy on the hands, no gripping and NO individual primers need to be picked up.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	810mhs3F3JL._AC_SX425_[1].jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	21.4 KB 
ID:	256746
    Yes, ABSOLUTELY! But I use an older set of round trays I have that happened to fit it. Works great, I LOVE mine! But I typically buy 1000 primers, prime 1000 cases, and stash 'em for future use. MULTIPLE 1000's of them.....

Boolit Bub
    I've got the Lee auto bench primer and love it. I've used the RCBS bench primer, which isn't bad at all, but I prefer the Lee.

The only issue I've had with mine is on occasion you have to rattle the primer holder. They'll jam up at the mouth at times. A bit of a nuisance, but not a huge deal. To me it beats trying to load those tubes like the RCBS has.

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Yes, ABSOLUTELY! But I use an older set of round trays I have that happened to fit it. Works great, I LOVE mine! But I typically buy 1000 primers, prime 1000 cases, and stash 'em for future use. MULTIPLE 1000's of them.....
    Hmmmm, the round tray fit too? I don't care for the new tray, the OPEN, LOCK, and ON positions lie! I get primers that sneak past the lock every time I load it. Thanks Rondog!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Dapaki View Post
    Hmmmm, the round tray fit too? I don't care for the new tray, the OPEN, LOCK, and ON positions lie! I get primers that sneak past the lock every time I load it. Thanks Rondog!
    Yes, the round ones will fit. At least the ones I have will.

I had a few more issues with the primers getting bound up in the mouth than I do with the triangle one. Not a huge deal, as I have to jiggle either every once in a while to make sure they feed.

Yupper, I don't get any better feed on the new one as I did the old round ones. Prime, Prime, wiggle, Prime, Prime, wiggle....

Boolit Grand Master

If you are on a budget and have hand strength issues , the Lee Hand Press with the Lee Ram Prime installed gives you much more leverage...sorta like an enlarged hand prime tool and it doesn't have any feeding problems ... on press priming that you can hold in both hands and get some easy leverage on . I had not used the Ram Prime / Hand Press until the other day, I was loading at my office and my round tray priming tool was at home ...so used the Ram Prime on the Hand Press and really liked how easy it worked ... lots less effort than using the old thumb and no feeding issues or jams !!! I Like It !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Grand Master
    I just found my Lachmiller bench priming tool (the one without auto-feed) and my Lyman hand primer from a wax bullet set... I just keep on finding stuff I found and stashed as I went through my “accumulating phase.” I’ll have to make or find a primer punch for the Lachmiller if I go with large large primers, but it looks like I’m good to go for the 32 family of revolver rounds, and I even found a couple of “blank” shell holders to cut to sizes I need.

To the OP, I’m having some beginnings of RA in my hand, but I can operate the L press with the heel of my hand... it’s just a matter of handling those devilishly small primers that presents a problem!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I found with my Lee Bench Prime tool I have it mounted on a piece of oak board. I just set it on the bench, not clamped in place, and use it. After I place the case in the shell holder I drop my hand down a rest a finger on the board. After I seat the primer I just slide my finger off the handle and let it spring up on it's own. This jiggles the tool enough to keep the primers flowing.My finger on the board isn't pressed down, just lays on the board. This lets the tool jiggle a bit without moving around.
    I tried it clamped in place and had issues with the feed. I tried it just setting there and the issues went away.
    The only other thing I have found is that some of my 223 brass has the groove just ahead of the rim a bit big. They don't go into and out of the shell holder easily. I fixed a lot of them by putting the case in a drill, mouth in the chuck. to spin the case, a light stroke as it turns with a jewelers file till the shell holder fits works well.
    I have some 7x57 Mauser brass the same way. For those I use the shell holder for a 6.5x55 Swede.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    Might want to look for an old Lachmiller priming tool. Mounts on the bench with two screws,takes standard shell holders and works off a cam system so you can easily seat primers. just pop in a primer, pull the little handle down and there you go. I always do priming as a separate move wether using the Dillon or single stage press. Have been using one of the benchrest style priming tools that takes Lee auto prime shell holders. I have the Lachmiller priming tool I mentioned (it's not for sale) and occasionally use it when doing large scale priming. Saves wear and tear on the fingers. Frank

Looks like Froggie beat me to it. Frank

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123