Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan Reloading
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Can't do the hand priming much anymore

My 2 press I use one is a Lyman T press and the other is a Hornady single stage press Both have the primer set up for them and that is how I prime all my cases .not with a hand press like is stated. My also have tube you fill.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by justonemorear View Post
    Would be good for a small run but not on the volume I normally do, would make for a long day tweezering each one.
    Yeah. That is why I retired it until I really need it. But the Lee Safety Primes on the press have really upped the speed for me & I am not needing that much speed all the time.

Maybe the Bench mounted Lee Auto Bench Prime unit might be worth more thought?
    ???

Once again, the "tray flipping" just seems to me to be a better idea than anything else that uses "fine motor skills" of the hands, since if things get worse & when you can't even pick up the primers with a tube without them moving around on ya all the time, which I would imagine would be just as frustrating as using a tweezers or dropping single primers can be.

Anyway, I am sure you will figure out something that works to keep ya "in the game".

Again, G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master

You mentioned budget - and the RCBS bench prime is not inexpensive. In the ram prime I would not tweezer each one - I finger load each one with my TrueLine Jr and did for years with my RCBS JR3 and never had a primer failure.

I have the RCBS bench primer and it is the only thing I use to batch prime except the TrueLine Jr. If you can afford one go for it.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

The Lee Safety Prime claim to fame is the auto flip trays. You place a whole box of 100 primers under the tray, then flip the two over together so the primers dump in the tray. A few shakes and the textured surface of the safety prime tray flips all the primers to face the right direction for feeding into the dispenser head. Loading 100 primers at a time, easily is a pretty neat trick.

After that it is just a simple push of the dispenser head forward until it clicks and drops a primer right into the press primer cup. Move the press handle to bring the brass down on the primer and done. I simply can't see how there would be an easier and less hand stressing method. I don't touch the primers with my hands at all and have leverage of a press handle when seating primers. For around $28 with shipping it is pretty hard to go wrong.

The little bracket that the Safety Prime attaches to stays on the press while the Safety Prime itself lifts easily out of the bracket so one can use the press normally without the priming system being in the way. I size and prep .223/5.56 in large batches then prime so that I can focus on primer pocket being right and getting a good seat. Then reload them later. Priming 300 cases at a stretch is not a strain, other than boring unless I can find something to listen to on the radio.

I don't have the ram prime but have considered getting one to use on a second press for small batches, so far haven't because switching turrets n the turret press means I can switch to priming and back to reloading pretty fast. My hands are still mostly ok but some nerve issues make it tiring to do finger manipulation for too long. I get clumsy when my fingers get tired and some muscles don't "get the message" so they don't do any work. Not painful but pretty annoying as I start dropping stuff.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 05-21-2019 at 05:06 PM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

I bought Lee Bench Primer 3 or 4 years ago. The small primer cartridge worked fine. The large primer cartridge never primed one single case, failed to work, never did. Sent the large primer cartridge back to Lee, they sent me a new one, different design that works pretty well, and they included a letter to the effect that I didn't know what I was doing. Humpffff... I have found that you need to bump it around a little to keep it feeding. Occasionally will feed 2 primers. I still use my old Lee round tray hand primer the most, I can still use my hands OK. The square tray Lee hand primer that came out after the round tray primer was a total piece of junk. My opinion!

Boolit Grand Master

I'm in the same boat as so many others. When Lee came out with their newest auto primer, it is over engineered to the fullest. I bought the hand unit, although all of their current priming systems (besides the on press primer system) uses the same shoot and elevator system. I fought my hand unit for way too long. Primers jamming, always going sideways, etc. I looked at it very close, and wouldn't you know, a primer could not even fit through the thing being pushed. I called Lee, and like so many others they sent me updated ones for free. They work like a charm. It's still ridiculous how complex it is, but it does work trouble free. I do appreciate the new primer trays, with my old round tray, no matter how hard I try, I always spill at least one primer.

I have not tried the bench primer, but I would certainly give it a chance in your situation. It's going to give you the most leverage possible on a stand alone unit.

Hand priming sounds like a good project to get the kids or grandkids involved in reloading.

Or,
    I had one of these in years past and really liked it:
    The tube feeding in primers is 'hands free' and rocks back & forth by itself.
    You put a brass on the shell holder, push the lever down, take out primed case.... over & over.
    it takes regular shell holders-- probably not Lee ones unless you drill out the hole a little.
    The tubes on it are the same as Hornady single stage presses take.

You can order it-- even from Wal-Mart for $94.
    And it'll last longer than we will.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-22-2019 at 12:17 AM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the input, glad to see I'm not alone. Between here and Graybeard have a lot of options but seem to lean toward the RCBS bench.

Anyone know if the Lee shell holders work in the RCBS or will they require mod's?
    Last edited by justonemorear; 05-22-2019 at 01:47 PM.

I am one who favors the Forster. It is quick, accurate and does not require shell holders. If directions are followed and you are not ham fisted with the allen wrench when tightening the Forster chuck jaws, you will have your tool set for the desired rim size in about the same time it takes to find and install a shell holder
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Buddy
    The only problem I have had is on a couple I had to clean the inside hole other than that I have not had a problem using Lee shell holders!

Quote Originally Posted by justonemorear View Post
    Thanks for the input, glad to see I'm not alone. Between here and Graybeard have a lot of options but seem to lean toward the RCBS bench.

Anyone know if the Lee shell holders work in the RCBS or will they require mod's?
    In my presses and the RCBS, the Lee fit.
    But you had to drill the hole out a little bit for the primer punch to come up through it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Check Amazon or eBay for a RCBS Bench Primer. Great tool. Great company.

Boolit Grand Master

I guess I'll be the one thats different but I primed many a case on my Rockchucker before I started hand priming. And I got good results! It doesn't take much to develop a feel for it. I actually started hand priming so I could do it in the family room and spend more time with the family.
    Last edited by lightman; 05-23-2019 at 07:52 AM.

Another vote for the RCBS bench tool. I bought mine in1979 and it has worked like a charm ever since. You can prime 100 cases in a jiffy. Just keep the hole in the shell holder clean . On some shell holders I have had to polish the hole a bit but it is well worth the effort.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Mold
    If the Lee holders work then about how much do they need to be opened?
    Will the Dillon p/u tubes work w/ the unit, got a line on a few cheap.
    thanks

Not very much. I used a small rifle bore mop with some Clover grit compound. Most of my Lee shell holders didn’t need anything.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I have big fingers and they were beat up from being a full time HD Equipment mechanic and primers were hard to pick up when using my ram prime. I found an easy way to pick up primers and not use any tweezers. I place a paper towel on the bench and dump the primers on that. Surprisingly the primers are much easier to pick up than on a hard surface. I no longer drop or fumble with primers...
    Last edited by mdi; 05-24-2019 at 02:26 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Mold
    Thanks again for all the input, p/u an RCBS Auto bench mount.
    Found it local for the same a WallyWorld delivered. Now working on fitting the holders.
    Going to post the Lee hand primers and shellholders on the net, post count too low for here so watch Graybeard as justonemorear and AR15.com as mogunnut.

Boolit Master

I have both RCBS Bench Priming Tools. The Standard (no longer made) and the tube - feed.
    The auto is still mounted on it's piece of 2"x6" to be clamped anywhere I want to prime.
    Going on 35+years.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Mold
    thanks Walks
    Just finished sizing my Lee hoilders to it, smooth operating.
    Now to mount it to a board.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast