RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One in a billion chance

Boolit Master
    I have heard of one credible case from someone I know that dropped a primed case and had it go off on the floor by his loading bench.
    Reminds me of a story about a kid that used to be on the FD with me. He calls me, knowing I reload an know a good bit about ammo, "Hey, do you think a .40 could go off just from rolling off my coffee table and hitting the carpet just right?". No, I told him, why do you ask? "Well, I had one on my table while i was cleaning my Glock, and it rolled off and went off when it hit the floor, bullet went through the apartment wall and stopped in the hot water heater. Scared the bejezus outta me!". I asked him are you sure that's what happened? Rounds going off outside the chamber don't tend to send the bullet with much force because they weigh more than the casing, how could it have done that? "I don't know, it was weird man, are you sure it couldnt do that?" Yep, pretty darn sure especially on carpet. You sure you weren't just playing with your Glock and had a ND so now you're trying to come up with a good excuse for the maintenance man? "Uhhhhh..." Turns out that was exactly the case and finally got him to fess up to it. Same kid that had an ND in the bathroom sitting on the toilet playing with his Browning BDA that took the life of an innocent bathtub a few years before that. I wasnt upset to see him leave the fire department, I didn't like having to trust my life to a guy I couldn't trust not to lie about things to not look like an idiot.
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Not always the case.

I can not think of a single failure when pulling high primered 38s (no primer strike) out of my revolver and chambering it in my levergun.
    I stand corrected. My first hand experience and that of my friends with high primers is all in pistols with FP mechanisms designed for what I understand is the softer primer cup of small and large pistol primers. I've read that rifle primers have harder cups; maybe the rifle FP mechanisms have more striking force?

Boolit Master
    4 foot drop can set off a center fire Cartridge per industry testing.

Boolit Master
    Any details on that testing, or where to find it? Might be interesting reading.

I was told by the folks at the local gun store that they had a 22LR roll off the counter and detonate. Couple years ago now.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I was told by the folks at the local gun store that they had a 22LR roll off the counter and detonate. Couple years ago now.
    Maybe I need to reconsider tumbling those 22's...

Check out Demolition Ranch on you tube. Matt puts 22's in straws and throws them into the air so that they land on the pavement bullet up and they almost all go off. He does some really wild stuff. Fun to watch.
    "Nothing is more uncommon than common sense." Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by jeepvet View Post
    Check out Demolition Ranch on you tube. Matt puts 22's in straws and throws them into the air so that they land on the pavement bullet up and they almost all go off. He does some really wild stuff. Fun to watch.
    I wish I'd thought of that.
    It beats the heck out of shooting kitchen matches from air rifles to make them light off the concrete.

Sure, making them bounce into someone's lap as they lit, or starting grass fires was fun---
    but that's nothing compared to doing dangerous stuff with live ammunition.

Boring out the end of a arrow for a .22 and shooting it with a decent size bow might make
    a good 'Hold my beer and watch this' moment.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 05-21-2019 at 06:04 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by kevin c View Post
    Maybe I need to reconsider tumbling those 22's...
    Nah,,, Just do it outside in case a big rock accidently finds it's way into the drum.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by jeepvet View Post
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Different results here

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I knew a guy had multiple fires of rounds......he used to use his press like it was a metal punching machine,every primer was flattened into the case.I watched him several times loading,he just had to force everything ,or it wasnt right,according to him.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    You might want to check the range out!
    Be on the lookout for the Menehune.
    Lots of strange things going on there.
    There are spirits there.
    Many of them all over the island.
    Older people tell tales of Menehune's.

Boolit Master
    A few years ago I saw ads on TV for arrows that used .357 mag ( I think ) cartridges instead of broadheads.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    It has happened enough times,we allow no loose ammo on tables here where I live.

Private or military range,all ammo has to be in boxes at all times. This rule/practise came from enough fallen ,exploded rounds during military pistol training sessions.

Boolit Master

Just my opinion but I would think the primer would not have to be dented and just a sharp blow could cause detonation of the primer from the shock. I seriously doubt that 12 ga shell that went off years ago at my feet hit the ground hard enough to dent the primer even with it landing in gravel, break open single shot ejecting the round backwards with barely enough force to completely clear the chamber. I had broken open the shotgun using my right thumb while holding the gun with my right hand intending to catch the round in my left as it ejected (a common way to unload a break action and I still do it that way today). I fumbled the catch and actually more like dropped the thing from barely above waist high but when it hit the ground it let loose!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    A few years ago I saw ads on TV for arrows that used .357 mag ( I think ) cartridges instead of broadheads.....
    38 or 357 cases make good arrowheads for small game or target heads. Used them a bunch. Can't remember the weight vs. target heads, though.
    Also, along with the thread, the design of the primer is that the firing pin contacts the cup and presses the chemical between cup and anvil. Takes a lot of force--think of all the firing pin springs you have cleaned, they are stout. I've dropped plenty of live rounds on concrete with no detonations. I've crunched plenty of primers, accidentally in my machines. I've taken plenty of live primers out of cases I've pulled bullets and powder out of to save. I've caught primers in my machines in all sorts of angles/positions and never had a detonation. Anything is possible in this world, I acknowledge that. I understand the laws of probability, but I would put it way past 1 in a billion. Not saying it couldn't happen, but kinda like being bitten by a shark, rattlesnake, hit by lightening, and visit by aliens at the exact same second.
    Last edited by gbrown; 05-22-2019 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Additional info
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.

Other than de-priming unfired military cases with crimped-in primers I've never had a primer go off at the loading bench...

Boolit Buddy
    I would think ... with all the Hand gun ammo manufactured in the US by all of the Major Manufacturers, not to mention the Smaller Co.'s or the Local Start-ups ... then add all the Reloaders, that 1 in a Billion would be very conservative. Not including rifle Ammo. This is my first ever encounter. I'm kinda Skeptical about it.
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gbrown View Post
    38 or 357 cases make good arrowheads for small game or target heads. Used them a bunch. Can't remember the weight vs. target heads, though.
    Also, along with the thread, the design of the primer is that the firing pin contacts the cup and presses the chemical between cup and anvil. Takes a lot of force--think of all the firing pin springs you have cleaned, they are stout. I've dropped plenty of live rounds on concrete with no detonations. I've crunched plenty of primers, accidentally in my machines. I've taken plenty of live primers out of cases I've pulled bullets and powder out of to save. I've caught primers in my machines in all sorts of angles/positions and never had a detonation. Anything is possible in this world, I acknowledge that. I understand the laws of probability, but I would put it way past 1 in a billion. Not saying it couldn't happen, but kinda like being bitten by a shark, rattlesnake, hit by lightening, and visit by aliens at the exact same second.

I've used the empty cases to shoot at squirrels before, but what I was referring to were live rounds to be shot at animals. Reminded me of a long range bangstick.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast