Inline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: New Service .45

Boolit Mold

New Service .45

One of my recent finds is a Colt New Service in .45 Colt. Included is a cylinder for .45 ACP.
    Slugging the barrel shows a diameter of .455 with groove diameter of .443. Both cylinders have throats of .455. So far so good.
    For boolits I have Missouri Bullet .455 Eley, 262 gr. RNFP, BHN 12, that are running .456-.457 after I sized with a Lee .457 die. I have loaded some of these in .45 Colt, but haven't been able to get to the range with them.
    I am wanting to load some .45 ACP, but cannot get the case diameter below .481 with this boolit. Cylinder diameter is .479. So I need a boolit sized .452-.453.

So, if I use a smaller boolit, how much expansion can I expect to seal the bore? And how soft of an alloy would be needed? Or, am I overthinking this?

Boolit Master

I am coming to believe that "slugging up" was a pretty big thing with the Brits in this era. Between the bore diameter squeezing down and the powder charge kicking of a few tons of pressure from the rear, the only place for the displaced metal to go is the grooves.

I've run into this with my .303's - the bores of which run between .301" and .305" with grooves of about .314"-.315". I've heard of WWI specimens running as big as .317". Odd thing - considering they were running .311" diameter bullets.

The primary Webley alloy seems to have been 12-1 lead/tin, which would put you at 11-12 BHN, though they dropped to 99% lead for a bit during WWI. That's for pooching out a hollow base bullet after it went through a cylinder throat that was typically smaller than groove diameter. MP Molds occasionally runs DANDY molds for copies of the Webley MKII bullet in .455 and .457, and we just recently had him do the MKIV flat nose in those diameters as well. I'm sizing the .455's down to .452" for my MKVI revolver. It might be just what you need.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I use Accurate 45-264D in my .45 ACP and .455 Colt New Service revolvers. Cylinder throats in both guns are .456 and I shoot bullets as-cast and unsized at .455 cast from 1:30 tin-lead from Roto Metals.

Attachment 242199Attachment 242200
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.