Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Silver silver and more silver

Boolit Man

Silver silver and more silver

I thought I would ask you guys.
    My mother passed away and left me a bunch of silver.
    Im talking 15 sets of silverware. 100's of singles in silverware.
    Some of this stuff has dates of mid to late 1800's.
    Also have several hundred pieces of silver platters,coasters,pitchers,salt shakers,handwarmers and such.
    How and where do I get rid of this stuff for money?
    Thanks,slightly over whelmed with freakin silver.

If you're not in the Silver selling business, you got a problem getting any sort of decent price for it.

I'd research venues like eBay or auction houses.

Anybody that deals with the retail marketing of it won't want to give you much more than scrap value.
    (They like big houses and new trucks too)
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

real silver any coin dealer will buy, silver plate--which is what most silverware is, can be hard to get rid of nowadays. nobody collects the stuff anymore.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    I would start by figuring out what is sterling and what is not. Folks here can probably help if you post pictures of the hallmarks.

Boolit Master
    If it's plated it's not worth much. Most places aren't going to give you more than scrap value. I would say an online auction house would be your best bet for the better stuff. Check these links for Hallmarks and brands & how to identify them.

https://ourpastimes.com/identify-vin...e-5480931.html

https://www.925-1000.com/

https://www.replacements.com/silver/...434627a3aeeb25

Boolit Man
    Thanks for your replys!
    Im pretty much finding out the same thing,this stuff is worthless.
    Its a shame all this stuff isnt coins,cars,lead or pewter.
    At least I would have a use for it or beable to get rid of it.

Boolit Master
    I may be wrong but I believe this sort of stuff is highly collectable in places like England, perhaps someone here may be able to say. Regards Stepehen

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebad06vtx View Post
    I thought I would ask you guys.
    My mother passed away and left me a bunch of silver.
    Im talking 15 sets of silverware. 100's of singles in silverware.
    Some of this stuff has dates of mid to late 1800's.
    Also have several hundred pieces of silver platters,coasters,pitchers,salt shakers,handwarmers and such.
    How and where do I get rid of this stuff for money?
    Thanks,slightly over whelmed with freakin silver.
    some silverplate is pewter underneath. Not all but some.

Boolit Master
    Start sorting by seeing if any of it is magnetic, I'd guess anything magnetic isn't worth a dime. Lefty is right about the pewter: "Historically, pewter tankards and utensils were considered the poor man's silver. Solid sterling silver was a sign of wealth and prosperity and only the well-to-do could afford it. Electroplating pewter provided the look of silver without the cost.The multi-step process required that the piece first be plated with alkaline copper before proceeding to plate it with silver. This process transformed a dull matte pewter piece into an article that looked like sterling and could be polished to a bright shine."

Boolit Man
    Thanks
    I will check it out.
    All the pieces of silverware say sterling on the back or underneath side.
    As fare as the platters and tea sets I believe are silver plated.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Onebad06vtx View Post
    Thanks
    I will check it out.
    All the pieces of silverware say sterling on the back or underneath side.
    As fare as the platters and tea sets I believe are silver plated.
    If it says sterling, you are very fortunate. Sterling is 92.5% silver. Any decent pawn shop would give you a near spot price of silver for it. For example if the spot price is $15 per oz. They may give you $13 or $14 per ounce of 99.99% pure. Since sterling is 92.5% they would adjust it down by the 7.5%. Also. A LOT of sterling silver is more valuable than it's melt value. With that much you will want to get it appraised. I don't know exactly who appraises sterling silver but I'm sure you can figure it out on the internet. AND if your mother knew enough to keep sterling silverware THERE IS A GOOD CHANCE THAT THE BOWLS AND STUFF IS ALSO SILVER AND NOT PLATE.
    AGAIN IF IT IS STAMPED STERLING IT IS STERLING! To get a rough idea 14.58 oz Troy is a lb. Weigh it up by pounds and multiply by 15 then multiply by 12. That will put you in the ballpark of the value in dollars. Roughly a hundred pounds is worth $15,000.

If it says sterling it is the good stuff. Collectable or as silver. If it says EPB or EPBM it is silver plated on very good pewter. Electro Plated Britannia Metal is what you want to google for more information if you find that. However if she was buying sterling there is a good chance her other stuff is from the higher end of the market. Those more expensive pieces tend to be less common and so command a higher price as collectables. Lot more Chevy's sold than Cadillac's so to the available supply of vintage high end stuff is smaller.

Tracking down hallmarks and identifying pieces is a big job. If you can find someone through your homeowners insurance agent that can appraise it for insurance purposes you will pay but you will find the value of the different pieces and sets. Allowing you to approach selling to retail markets or through online auctions knowing the value. Plus you can weigh the stuff and decide if it is worth more as casting material or precious metal.

I have to go through that research with some pewter. It is a hassle but once I know what it retails for I can figure the local antique places will go about 50% of that give or take depending on how common it is. Have been a few items that went for a decent amount over the value of the tin if melted. Even at $8.50 a pound which is what it was going for then in S&S. Others were heavy and not really in demand in the market place so puddle they went. You have the same issue, find the ones with more value as an item. Versus the ones with more value as a metal.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Man
    Well I had time to go thru this stuff today.
    All says sterling.
    And a magnet didnt stick to any of it.
    I will get it appraised and go from there.
    Thanks for all replys.