Thread: How do you control the MOLES

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O

How do you control the MOLES

Whats worked for you?

This is what I use except the neighbor hates me

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RB53WPD...e-f767610a7f33
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Vendor Sponsor

My son uses those in Florida, they work. My GF has a spayed feral kitty that lives in the shed, she feeds it and gives it a good bed, and the kitty has rid the yard of moles and hunts in the neighbors yard too.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

What happened to the explosive ones?
    There used to be one that exploded in their tunnel, or released a poison gas.

We never had moles, but I'd seen another kind of trap that when it went along and hit the trap,
    a spring loaded spear shot down and nailed it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    When we had moles and gophers in Michigan, I had just gotten a Miniature Schnauzer. That little guy was bred for it. I didn't teach him a thing. He was downright nasty with them. Terriers snatch them up and shake them to death. That pupper plus a Marlin 60 with CCI Quiets got twenty of them in a month or two.

Boolit Master

ive been slowing them down with the gas. tried the ultrasonic, but the suckers tunnel right up next to it.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    I wish i knew what to do. Have an above ground pool and they keep digging under it only about a foot or so in but enough to mess up the liner.tried ultra sonic no go hate to use poison have three dogs.

Boolit Master

The moles are after the grubb worms. Control the grubb worms and the moles will leave. There are several companies that make pellets that will kill grubb worms.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wv109323 View Post
    The moles are after the grubb worms. Control the grubb worms and the moles will leave. There are several companies that make pellets that will kill grubb worms.
    This is correct as far as I am concerned & what I use mostly is the pellets to kill the grubs. You can get pellets that you put in a run, if ya want to kill the moles directly. as well. I have some of both & they worked for me.

I will try to remember later to bring the names of the stuff here, if anyone is interested.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

I've had good luck with the "Tom Cat" grubs that you put in the tunnel and pinch the hole back up to close. Make sure you wear rubber gloves to keep your sent off them. They are a little pricey but it is the only thing that works for me.

Boolit Buddy
    I have an old lawn mower that I pipe the exaust into one of their tunnels, seems to work fine

The newer mole poisons are a neurotoxin and not as easy to reverse the effects of as the older blood thinner types. We use grub killer, Milky spore granuals (kills grubs when dormant but pretty expensive), traps, the occasional pitch fork if I see a tunnel moving and still get tons of mole activity as they are always looking for new sources of food and eat other stuff like earth worms which we have plenty of. They're mostly coming in from the fields to the side and behind us but travel all over the yard before going back. Up until about 5 years ago the poison was keeping them at bay until my daughters wiener dog decided those pellets were tasty also. As soon as he came in the house and puked blackness up I suspected what was going on and the little dug holes where the pellets had been inserted into the tunnels confirmed it. Vet was able to pump his stomach and save him, but only because we acted quickly. We still have dogs so I also don't want to use poison again and so far have been lucky that they haven't ripped a hole in our above ground pool liner like they did to our neighbors. Our soil is very sandy or more accurately our sand is dirt colored for the top foot so it's easy digging for them and flooding the tunnels doesn't work like it will in clay.

Boolit Master
    I use the poison pellets. Took a couple of years, but now the moles are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DCP View Post
    Whats worked for you?

This is what I use except the neighbor hates me

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RB53WPD...e-f767610a7f33
    Judging from your avatar I would say the answer is obvious.

We have a standard schnauzer that will dig a small "sniff" hole to decide which way the mole is. Then dig another hole to sniff for direction. Within 3 or 4 small holes Mr. Mole is between two holes with a dog that has been bred for around 700 years as a farm dog with a strong drive to kill vermin. As soon as the mole makes a noise or movement a brief frantic dig to expose the back which is grabbed with the front teeth, yanked from the tunnel, tossed in the air, caught on the fly and crunched three times. Sounds like someone stepped on a bag of Doritos. Happy sound. Shaking may or may not be applied, but the Standard doesn't have any terrier in them. The mini's were bred with terriers to bring the size down and the mini's tend to have a more terrier like temperament.

Those spike traps always wanted to recoil back up as much as driving the spikes down. So I ran a 1/4 threaded rod about 10 inches long into one leg of the wicket frame. Rod is right at where ground level should be when trap is set. Put a rock or brick on the rod so the whole force of the spring goes to driving spikes down into tunnel. This more than doubled the effectiveness of those spike traps. That and using a straight bladed shovel to chop the dirt up where the trap was set so it wasn't rock hard.

At one time I go to the high point in the yard and pour ammonia and bleach into a small hole I made in the tunnel, yields chlorine gas which is heavier than air and would run down the tunnel. Not sure if it did any good by it certainly felt good to do it to those little paving stone wrecking critters.

Neighbor had an old mower with the muffler replaces by a piece of pipe with a length of flexible conduit clamped on it. Would put the conduit into wood chuck burrows after covering the other exits and run the engine to kill them with poison exhaust gasses. They played hobb with out building foundations. He did mole tunnels with that same device sometimes.

Youngest dog is still in the excavate the whole length of any mole tunnel found so.... some work to do before she is ready to take her place as a true mole management and extermination service. Now she is more of a schnauzer snout excavation service and why the lawn tractor should really have springs and shocks.

I think maybe cats are better mole and vole hunters but don't think any strays will settle in the yard with the two dogs. And our old cats were always indoors. They put cameras on cat collars and found they spend about 80% of their time trying to kill something. Even nap where they might get a chance to kill something. I think dogs do it for fun but if they don't find rodents won't take to killing beetles because they just have to kill something.

PS. the rod so a rock could be used to hold down the spike traps worked even better when we lived on sandy soil. The sand just wouldn't hold the trap down using the frame legs as stakes.
    Last edited by RogerDat; 05-21-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rond View Post
    I have an old lawn mower that I pipe the exaust into one of their tunnels, seems to work fine
    Unleaded doesn't do the job very well.

Local Sheriff found a car near a creek with a hose from the tailpipe through a window and no one inside. Checking the area, he found a red faced fellow all wet from the creek. He had tried to kill himself but there wasn't enough carbon monoxide and the interior of the car got so hot he couldn't stand it any more and jumped in the creek.

We have lots of hawks here and I cut the grasses short and let them have first crack. The critters come up for air on a schedule the hawks seem to know.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Cats, lot's of CATS!!!!!
    Statistics show that criminals commit fewer crimes after they have been shot

Boolit Buddy
    I've had the critters for years and tried everything on the market. Still have them. One day I was thinking about them and, being a mining engineer, realized that they were just little miners mining bugs. Now I have a real good relationship with my little mining brothers. But a good stick of dynamite might work too.

Boolit Buddy
    Spray the lawn twice a year with Castor oil. Won't kill them but they will leave your yard.

Boolit Master

The LAST State to allow Conceal Carry -The new 5O
    Quote Originally Posted by RogerDat View Post
    Judging from your avatar I would say the answer is obvious.

We have a standard schnauzer that will dig a small "sniff" hole to decide which way the mole is. Then dig another hole to sniff for direction. Within 3 or 4 small holes Mr. Mole is between two holes with a dog that has been bred for around 700 years as a farm dog with a strong drive to kill vermin. As soon as the mole makes a noise or movement a brief frantic dig to expose the back which is grabbed with the front teeth, yanked from the tunnel, tossed in the air, caught on the fly and crunched three times. Sounds like someone stepped on a bag of Doritos. Happy sound. Shaking may or may not be applied, but the Standard doesn't have any terrier in them. The mini's were bred with terriers to bring the size down and the mini's tend to have a more terrier like temperament.

Those spike traps always wanted to recoil back up as much as driving the spikes down. So I ran a 1/4 threaded rod about 10 inches long into one leg of the wicket frame. Rod is right at where ground level should be when trap is set. Put a rock or brick on the rod so the whole force of the spring goes to driving spikes down into tunnel. This more than doubled the effectiveness of those spike traps. That and using a straight bladed shovel to chop the dirt up where the trap was set so it wasn't rock hard.

At one time I go to the high point in the yard and pour ammonia and bleach into a small hole I made in the tunnel, yields chlorine gas which is heavier than air and would run down the tunnel. Not sure if it did any good by it certainly felt good to do it to those little paving stone wrecking critters.

Neighbor had an old mower with the muffler replaces by a piece of pipe with a length of flexible conduit clamped on it. Would put the conduit into wood chuck burrows after covering the other exits and run the engine to kill them with poison exhaust gasses. They played hobb with out building foundations. He did mole tunnels with that same device sometimes.

Youngest dog is still in the excavate the whole length of any mole tunnel found so.... some work to do before she is ready to take her place as a true mole management and extermination service. Now she is more of a schnauzer snout excavation service and why the lawn tractor should really have springs and shocks.

I think maybe cats are better mole and vole hunters but don't think any strays will settle in the yard with the two dogs. And our old cats were always indoors. They put cameras on cat collars and found they spend about 80% of their time trying to kill something. Even nap where they might get a chance to kill something. I think dogs do it for fun but if they don't find rodents won't take to killing beetles because they just have to kill something.

PS. the rod so a rock could be used to hold down the spike traps worked even better when we lived on sandy soil. The sand just wouldn't hold the trap down using the frame legs as stakes.
    We have 2 Miniature Schnauzer 4 and almost 2. The older dog could care less. Now the young dog finds a hole and starts digging and comes out a muddy mess especially her face. She has had no joy yet. The wife is none too happy and in the tub, she goes. I told her it's their natural instincts and tells me that's disgusting
    LOYALTY ABOVE ALL ELSE, EXCEPT HONOR

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading." -- Thomas Jefferson

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
    Theodore Roosevelt

NRA
    BENEFACTOR LIFE MEMBER

Boolit Mold
    WV109323 nailed it. I once went nuts trying to get rid of the moles till a friend that worked at a garden center told me to get rid of the grubs. Can't remember what I used but it did the trick.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast