Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Lyman #2, what is it good for?

Boolit Buddy

Lyman #2, what is it good for?

I was just given a bunch of Lyman #2 and was curious what you all use it for?

Boolit Master
    I use Lyman #2 for all my rifle loads-- it works well in my 30-06, 30-30, 32WS, Enfield, 1909 Argentine Mauser and 223 Rem, both with gas check and without. It is softer than Linotype (typically BHN ~15, versus 22 for Lino), but I run up to 2000 fps even with a fast twist like my CZ (223 rem) and have no accuracy issues or leading.
    Last edited by Hick; 05-20-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

Hi. As Hick said, it makes great rifle bullets or pistol bullets you plan on really pushing hot. Additionally, almost all of the Lyman data for cast bullets/moulds is based on the Lyman #2 alloy. Another great benefit is knowing exactly what it should be (90% Pb, 5% Sn, 5% Sb) so it is very easy to consistently reproduce the alloy. Wheel weights don't have that consistency and you never really know what you have (unless you have BNE do an XRF analysis of the alloy.) If you have a bunch of it, consider yourself lucky...the cost of new Lyman #2 from Rotometals is currently about $3.80/lb +shipping. Ed

Boolit Grand Master

You can use it for anything. It cast beautifully. There is something magical about equal parts of Tin and Antimony in an alloy.

Boolit Master
    Lightman-- I was going to reply with details about the magic of equal parts of antimony and tin-- but cannot find the article at the moment (lost somewhere in my computer). Antimony and Tin in equal amounts forms a complex (like a molecule) of antimony-tin that does indeed affect the casting qualities. Can't remember the rest of the details.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    I was just given a bunch of Lyman #2 and was curious what you all use it for?
    Any rifle reload with velocity greater than 1600 fps
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I cast all of my pistol and revolver bullets from my generic Lyman #2 alloy.
    I probably should be casting my rifle bullets from it instead of 50/50 COWW/Lino...….dale

You can also mix it half and half with pure lead or range scrap for low speed pistol bullets. They won't be as hard, can't be pushed as hard, but it doubles how many you can get.

As said above straight up for faster rifle bullets.

Fact is the world is your oyster. You can do ANYTHING with #2. Just need to plan it out.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    Lightman-- I was going to reply with details about the magic of equal parts of antimony and tin-- but cannot find the article at the moment (lost somewhere in my computer). Antimony and Tin in equal amounts forms a complex (like a molecule) of antimony-tin that does indeed affect the casting qualities. Can't remember the rest of the details.
    Yeah, there is a scientific name for this that escapes me at the moment. I knew that it was "magical" long before I knew anything about the scientific aspect of it.

making bullets? What do I win!

The equal parts Sn & Sb makes the alloy stronger without making it more brittle. Can be cut by varying amounts of plain lead to produce just the hardness and durability needed. 3/3/94 which will work for about anything except the 2k plus velocities or 2.5/2.5/95 which is still good for most uses or even all the way to 2/2/96 which is fine for most revolver loads. Better alloy than COWW's & Plain 50/50 plus a bit of tin and that 50/50 alloy has made a whole lot of good pistol bullets.

Antimony and tin combine in a way that is greater than the sum of their parts.

I try to do large batches of ingots for casting so doing 100 pound batch of Lyman #2 means I can use as-is or cut that known alloy to get known alloy to meet the need I am casting for. In my happy place I cast 200 pound in 2 batches then cross mix to get twice as much consistent alloy.

I will say powder coat and gas checks can allow one to reduce the Sn & Sb for bullets that will still be high performance without leading. As long as they are still hard enough to engage the rifling without "scuffing" along at higher velocities the labor and minor cost of PC and gas checks can allow for less expensive alloys to give good performance.

I get a lot more "plain" lead from scrap sources so making a hard alloy I can mix with that is efficient for me.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat