RepackboxInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's the most stupid thing you did casting/reloading that you won't do again!

What's the most stupid thing you did casting/reloading that you won't do again!

Okay, no politically correct concerns when I say... "There are stupid questions and actions, but we should all learn from them.

I am still new to casting and reloading...just on my first 4k rounds of casting bullets and reloaded ammo. My first and only stupid mistake, thus far, was to keep an open ingot container near my reloading bench. Somehow a live primer fell into the old coffee can full on ingots. I was starting to cast some 45 acp and I placed the last ingot from the coffee can into my melting pot and then proceeded to dump all the scrap bullets into the pot. BAM! Lead went flying!

I got just a few specks on my shirt, but most went on the table and around the lead melting pot. I had gloves and glasses on and was wearing a short sleeve shirt. I was lucky it didn't get on any of my skin.

Am I the only one out there that has done something so stupid? Lesson learnt!

So, anyone else do anything stupid that they want to admit to? Maybe your comments will help me not melt my skin away or blow myself up in the future.

Boolit Master

Glad it wasn't worse. That must have bumped the heart rate!

Mistake: Buying gear twice by trying to get by with the cheap stuff initially.

Obtaining a supply of estate sale reloads thinking I'd pull down for components. False economy! The guy who reloaded the ammo so severely crimped the bullets that they were useless mushroom profiles. That's when I was first clued into the fact that excessive taper crimp ruins neck tension.

Boolit Master
    I didnt put my Bullseye away after a loading session. Hour later loaded up some rounds with Unique. YEP! I poured 1/2lb Unique into a container of Bullseye. Mixed it up good, and poured it in the snow outside the door. Had to look at it every day for 4 days til it snowed and covered it up. Still po's me that i did that... Todd/3leg
    PS, that happened to a friend, after that i always put a cover on the pot any time i start up or add new lead.

Quote Originally Posted by Rustynails View Post
    BAM! Lead went flying!I got just a few specks on my shirt, but most went on the table and around the lead melting pot. I had gloves and glasses on and was wearing a short sleeve shirt. I was lucky it didn't get on any of my skin.
    Am I the only one out there that has done something so stupid? Lesson learnt!
    One thing that comes to mind was redecorating the ceiling, the walls,
    and my clothes after stirring a full 20lb. pot with a damp wooden paint stick.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I always wear eye protection because i shoot mostly steel plates but I dont shoot anything anymore wearing just sunglasses. I had a 45acp case shoot up and right inside the sunglasses making a nice burn mark right under my eye. Now I only wear tight fitting safety glasses.

On the other hand though I love watching girls scream and run lifting their tops off when hot piece of brass gets between those girls. That doesnt bother me as much

Boolit Buddy
    I have had throw out powder after I inadvertently dumped the wrong powder in the wrong can because I had more than one can on the bench at the same time. Only takes once to learn that one. Never since have I had more than one powder out at a time.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!

Boolit Master
    I had some new 9 mm powder coated boolits made up and thought I was good enough to hit small flower pots off steel “I-Beam and missed low a piece of lead splattered and caught me on the neck between chin and shirt neck line, had safety glasses on thank goodness. Thought 10’ Was plenty far enough back, nooooope, was going to do like Hickok 45 and smoke some pot. Did quite a few using Front sight squeeze method worked really well till that last one.

Banned
    Well, there was that one time I got into reloading to save money........

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    That's the best one!!!

Boolit Buddy

Not lubing ALL of the bottleneck cases to save time.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    Turning down a Ruger Red Label shot gun for $600, was the thing I will always regret

Boolit Buddy

I’ll add, I wish I had started documenting traceable batch information and labeling earlier.

I keep hoping someone that is tech savvy will create an app that generates and uses QR codes to track components, assembly and batches from cradle to grave.
    Stronger, Prouder and Greater!

Boolit Master
    Got three 60# lead ingots and tried to melt them with a little home propane torch. I ended up going to where my son worked and used an oxy-acetylene torch. It still took most of the night.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Storing all my load and chrono data on a phone app. Nothing like starting over.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

So reason I started casting and it's been over 50 years when does the saving Start????????????
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    Tried to cast battery lead once almost didn't get out of my garage the fumes burnt my throat and couldn't breath. Never again and felt very lucky to get out of there. Stupid things i have done in life wouldn't fit here.

Boolit Master

What's the most stupid thing you did casting/reloading that you won't do again!

Another guy and myself were going west to shoot prairie dogs:
    I let a guy load ammo with my bullets & powder on my equipment to shoot in my guns, he changed the amount of powder, even though I told him to change NOTHING and it caused my rifle to come apart.
    Stupid me. Stupid "friend" who thought he knew better. He still owes me $1100 for the rifle.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master

A couple of things come to mind. One was painful and the other was just aggravating. I was changing the sizing die on my Lyman 450 and the handle fell. The top punch punched a nice round hole in my thumb nail. I also left the dump valve open on my ChargeMaster after emptying it one time. Of course the next time I used it the powder ran out of the dump and all over my loading bench!
    Last edited by lightman; 05-21-2019 at 02:40 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WheelgunConvert View Post
    I’ll add, I wish I had started documenting traceable batch information and labeling earlier.
    I keep hoping someone that is tech savvy will create an app that generates and uses QR codes to track components, assembly and batches from cradle to grave.
    The Precision Load Records software can do that very thing for you.

(Click on links for screen snaps)

All loads and targets are keyed to individual firearms and can be saved to searchable, retrievable databases ;

You can maintain an automatically updated, running inventory of all Cartridge Cases, Bullets, Gas Checks, Primers, Powder and Loaded Ammunition.

Last edited by Tom Myers; 05-21-2019 at 07:28 AM.
    Respectfully,
    Tom Myers
    Precision Shooting Software

Boolit Master
    Didn't we all?

Then there was the time when I gave a reloading demonstration to a bunch of Boy Scouts, and had forgotten to prime the cases...Unique all over the table!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast