RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Anyone with experience?? Can I use large pistol primers in 30-30 light cast bullet l

Banned

Anyone with experience?? Can I use large pistol primers in 30-30 light cast bullet l

I just ran out of Large rifle Primers for loading 30-30 light cast bullet loads. Have plenty of large pistol primers. Have any of you loaded rifle cartridges with large pistol primers???? Please reply!!! Using Unique powder. Anxiously waiting for your comments. Thanks so much!! dd

I've done it with mild loads; no drama whatsoever.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Any load in which you can use a plain based bullet without bore leading, you can substitute a pistol primer, with the normal caveat that you want them seated to the bottom of the primer pocket so that they are slightly below flush, and in tubular magazines stick to blunt nosed bullets in low recoil loads.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Never done it myself, but here is some theory.

As stated above, the shorter large pistol primers will sit deeper into the primer pocket.

Pistol primers were designed for handgun pressures. If the rifle pressure is within handgun pressure limits, then blowing a primer shouldn't be a concern.

Me, I wouldn't fear using large pistol primers for the low pressure rifle loads that are described. But to restate, that is based on theory and not firsthand experience.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a lot of boolits from 30-30 brass. I can not remember the last time I used rifle primers. For my Contender I have a 10" & 14" barrel in 30 Herrett and a 14" in 30-30. Some 30H loads are a case near full of WC 844 (H335 equivalent). If you are pushing things, just work up your loads and watch for signs (too flat or piercing).

On one of my 45/70 rolling blocks, I get light primer strikes. The short pistol primers are the only ones that make the problem show up. No problems other than than that though.

Boolit Master
    I've been using them in my cast 30/30 loads since 1970. Never had a misfire with one in 8 different rifles. Well not counting the 1 primer i loaded backwards. Powders i use is Red dot, Unique, 2400, Blue dot and HS7. Todd/3leg

Boolit Master
    Small rifle and small pistol primers are dimensionaly the same. Large rifle and large pistol primers are not. The pistol primers are taller and can stick up beyond the bottom of the base. It's not a good idea to mix them up.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Small rifle and small pistol primers are dimensionaly the same. Large rifle and large pistol primers are not. The pistol primers are taller and can stick up beyond the bottom of the base. It's not a good idea to mix them up.
    Hi NSB. I think you have that reversed. Large rifle primers are 0.008" taller than large pistol primers and have slightly thicker cup material. To answer the OP, like many have reported above, I also use LPP in lieu of LRP, especially on lighter cast loads. Use what you have without worry. Ed

Banned

I use pistol primers in my 7.62x54r all the time. I actually get better loads using them then the rifle primers.

I've used both LR and LPM primers in a Marlin .44Mag. and SP and SR primers for one in .357. No problems.

Look up the pressure of a .30-30.
    It's way low for a rifle, and probably about even with a lot of handguns calibers.

As low pressure as it is, you may have to look closely to even see much of a flat spot on the LP primer,
    much less a high pressure sign.

They may chrono and impact a little different, but it shouldn't be by much.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Banned
    Thanks so much for your assistance. With all this fresh snow I will have to wait a few days to get to the range. dd

Boolit Master

Large pistol primers are all I've ever used loading my 30-30. I only load up to about 1600 fps with cast.
    "Masculine republics give way to feminine democracies, and feminine democracies give way to tyrannies.” Aristotle

Banned
    Thank You all for your comments to my question. I have now fired over 60 rounds loaded with 6.7 grains Unique and Meister 94 grain bullet sized to .309. Accuracy is good, but am thinking I will reduce the powder a little more. Will try 6.5 grains Unique next. Also 2.7 grains Bullseye. Large pistol primers work just fine.