RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bear Stories? Photo's Nice

Banned

Bear Stories? Photo's Nice

Marko, not that I think it should ever be tried on purpose, but would a baseball bat to the skull of a bear kill it or otherwise make it change its attitude?

Boolit Master

Took mine in the late 1960's, with My Dad's OM Ruger .44Mag. Behind a pack of dogs. Young Legs, Good eyes. Took 3 shots, 1st 2 into the tree. Third into the Bear. Lots of things were legal in CA. Before the GCA '68 and nanny brown's first term, his 2nd was worse.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

USMC 77, USRA 79

Probably just anger it.. the skull is like armor plating.. bullets bounce, and I imagine you can’t swing a bat hard enough to do more then make him even more angry. He would probably say, ok, you had your shot.. now it’s my turn.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Banned
    I keep thinking of that idiot, Timothy Treadwell or whatever his name was, living in bear territory up there in Alaska. Bears were his beautiful friends until he finally got eaten.

Boolit Buddy

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear tree resize 45.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	242917
    Montana is getting over-run with grizzlies, in my favorite elk hunting area the last couple years there have been confirmed sightings and a few encounters with elk hunters being run off their kill site. I have yet to see a grizzly but last season my son and I were hunting as we came down a ridge I noticed a tree that was missing a lot of bark and went to check it out. This tree had been marked more than once, and the last time was quite recent. My son is 6'2" and you can see the top most mark is around 3 feet up from his hand. He asked me if I thought the bear stood flat footed and marked that or had climbed, I told him I was sure it was flat footed and he had quite the shudder

The next morning I was hunting alone and left the truck a little before dawn and was hiking up my favorite ridge in the dark thinking about that tree. About shooting light I had elk tracks everywhere and the odor was so strong I could taste it so I just stopped and waited as I knew there were a lot of elk on the move. I stood still for maybe 10-15 minutes just watching and listening as I had good shooting light. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a movement off to my right, as I slowly turned my head I saw a lion about 40 yards away that was following the elk tracks. He hadn't noticed me until I turned and the lion about turned itself inside out turning around and just flat disappeared. It happened so fast I really didn't have time to react, I was just so amazed that he was there one second and gone about a half second later. I waited a minute or two then walked over to where I had seen the lion and was bent over looking for a track in the brushy snow, about that time a semi or snow plow went over the bridge in the valley below me and made a loud racket. When I heard that noise I just new I was about to be attacked by something and will freely admit "my heart was in my throat", it about gave me the big one

I continued up the ridge even more alert than I had been before and I did bump into a decent bull a few minutes later and never got a shot at him. While thinking about all that had happened in the last few minutes I realized that between the wolves, lions, and grizzlies the last thing in the world a elk has to worry about is an old man with a gun.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Quote Originally Posted by dangitgriff View Post
    I keep thinking of that idiot, Timothy Treadwell or whatever his name was, living in bear territory up there in Alaska. Bears were his beautiful friends until he finally got eaten.
    He got his girlfriend eaten as well.

Cast Hunter

I shot this one (my 3rd grizz, but 1st with cast) 2 years ago with a Ruger .41 mag BH (NOE 41-251-WFN). Fortunately clipped the spine, so it didn't go far. These things hang on to life rather tenaciously and die harder than blackies.

My son just got his 1st over memorial Day weekend (although not with cast). The bear was guarding a moose kill. They spotted it from the opposite side of the valley and snuck up to 130 yards. His Montana M1999 in .300 Win mag did the trick.

Boone and Crockett Club member
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

USMC 77, USRA 79

Very cool Mr Rugerfan... cast in a 41 BH is icing on the cake. I am sure that Boolit really dumps the energy quick. Nothing like a wide flat nose to say “hello”.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by hpbear101 View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bear tree resize 45.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	242917
    Montana is getting over-run with grizzlies, in my favorite elk hunting area the last couple years there have been confirmed sightings and a few encounters with elk hunters being run off their kill site. I have yet to see a grizzly but last season my son and I were hunting as we came down a ridge I noticed a tree that was missing a lot of bark and went to check it out. This tree had been marked more than once, and the last time was quite recent. My son is 6'2" and you can see the top most mark is around 3 feet up from his hand. He asked me if I thought the bear stood flat footed and marked that or had climbed, I told him I was sure it was flat footed and he had quite the shudder

The next morning I was hunting alone and left the truck a little before dawn and was hiking up my favorite ridge in the dark thinking about that tree. About shooting light I had elk tracks everywhere and the odor was so strong I could taste it so I just stopped and waited as I knew there were a lot of elk on the move. I stood still for maybe 10-15 minutes just watching and listening as I had good shooting light. Out of the corner of my eye I caught a movement off to my right, as I slowly turned my head I saw a lion about 40 yards away that was following the elk tracks. He hadn't noticed me until I turned and the lion about turned itself inside out turning around and just flat disappeared. It happened so fast I really didn't have time to react, I was just so amazed that he was there one second and gone about a half second later. I waited a minute or two then walked over to where I had seen the lion and was bent over looking for a track in the brushy snow, about that time a semi or snow plow went over the bridge in the valley below me and made a loud racket. When I heard that noise I just new I was about to be attacked by something and will freely admit "my heart was in my throat", it about gave me the big one

I continued up the ridge even more alert than I had been before and I did bump into a decent bull a few minutes later and never got a shot at him. While thinking about all that had happened in the last few minutes I realized that between the wolves, lions, and grizzlies the last thing in the world a elk has to worry about is an old man with a gun.
    We always have to remember in Montana, at best we are #5 on the food chain!
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master

RugerFan nice bear and congrats to your son, has anyone ever told you your son looks just like you, wow just a younger version!
    Charter Member #148

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Very cool Mr Rugerfan... cast in a 41 BH is icing on the cake. I am sure that Boolit really dumps the energy quick. Nothing like a wide flat nose to say “hello”.
    Ya, I really like the big metplat. Definitely a thumper!

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    RugerFan nice bear and congrats to your son, has anyone ever told you your son looks just like you, wow just a younger version!
    Thanks. We are very proud of the young man. He is currently an Army Captain and doesn't get a lot of time off with his crazy schedule. I'm really glad he checked a grizz off his bucket list.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    RugerFan; Please tell Your Son Not To Check It Off His List Yet!!! There's More Out There & We Might Not Get Any More Stories!!!

Cast Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    RugerFan; Please tell Your Son Not To Check It Off His List Yet!!! There's More Out There & We Might Not Get Any More Stories!!!
    No worries lol. The new tag year starts 1 July. He will continue his bear quest then.
    <<----------------<<<<<<
    Pope & Young Club member

Boolit Master
    Markopolo; Do you always Bear Hunt with a 30 cal. castboolit?

Boolit Master

This just happened here in WV, where my daughter lives and where I do all my hunting.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...231036188.html
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Banned
    They’re gonna kill the bear when they find it and match its DNA to the attack on the victim. Wonder if they’ll eat it?

Boolit Master
    dangitgriff; You wouldn't happen to have a photo of that bear on utube that you could post would ya? Cant do utube on dial up, and H-Speed not avail. yet up in these mtns. Haven't been to the grandsons lately to pull it up. Thanks Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12