Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Are these little stick on wheel weights lead or zinc? (with a pic)

Are these little stick on wheel weights lead or zinc? (with a pic)

Howdy all,

Yes, please take a look and tell me if they are zinc:

I stopped by one tire shop today and they might have had about 30 pounds of wheelweights in a bucket. Unfortunately, not a big enough amout to get really excited about.

I saw a bunch of little ones like what is pictured above. I told the proprietor I'd be back once I figured out if they were lead or not.

It looks like they were painted grey, maybe to match the rim/hub color.

what do you guys think?

Lead.... or zinc?

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up [ Lead ]

That was the same ?? I asked a few weeks back. Almost pure lead was the answer I got here. I got a bout 30= lbs myself from a Lg Trk repair shop that also did some tire work. John Boy posted that they were 98.144% Pb, 0.377%Sb, 1.45% SN, 0.029%As. And the other "Common Bullet Alloy's. Composition and Hardness list showed them as 99.5% lead ,BHN of 6. So grab them as a starter base to add to & make what ever alloy you mite want. Think I have read here ,that they work great as is for BP rnd ball boolits. My .02 . Russ.

I had some of those in my last bucket of WW, but when I put a magnet to them they stuck like glue.

Oh, and no they didn't melt!!

Richard
    Cat, the other white meat!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Pretty tough to tell by just a picture. If they have Zn on them, then a visual is enough. Try pinching them with pliers. If they are soft and easily deformed, they are pure or near pure lead. If you can't deform them, they are zinc.

Personally, I've never found a zinc stick-on.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master
    I've found plenty in my last batch of w/w.... I was hoping that they were lead, but the darn things just float on top....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

russ - 454 is right that is quick way also any of the little tiny ones that are on an import are zinc when you melt they will float. I f you dont have a thermometer melt some pure lead and then cut heat to just keep it liquid. This can be a small amount 3lbs or so. take a weight and drop in if it floats its zinc. Reg weights will go under and the clip will only show rick

Okay, thanks for the replies. It sounds like I am going to have to bring along a magnet and a pair of pliers the next time I head out.

If I were to actually pay for assorted wheel weights, what do you figure is a good or fair price to pay for 'em?

(hey, I'm cheap. I'd like to get them for free. )

I think I read on here that 30 or 35 cents a pound was fair, and that a full 5 gallon bucket was in the neighboorhood of 100 to 130 pounds.

I would feel kinda foolish for bringing along the bathroom scale.

... man.... OH MAN!... if one of those nation wide franchises would let me tap into their supply of old wheel weights.... I'd be set...

Boolit Master

Use a pocket knife to scrape on an edge. Lead will cut easy and feel soft,Zinc will not cut easy and feel hard, same as the steel ones. I have found that most of the "import" weights are Zinc or steel.
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by Russel Nash View Post
    Okay, thanks for the replies. It sounds like I am going to have to bring along a magnet and a pair of pliers the next time I head out.

If I were to actually pay for assorted wheel weights, what do you figure is a good or fair price to pay for 'em?

(hey, I'm cheap. I'd like to get them for free. )

I think I read on here that 30 or 35 cents a pound was fair, and that a full 5 gallon bucket was in the neighboorhood of 100 to 130 pounds.

I would feel kinda foolish for bringing along the bathroom scale.

... man.... OH MAN!... if one of those nation wide franchises would let me tap into their supply of old wheel weights.... I'd be set...
    Russell,

I am in PA and I just picked up a 5 gal bucket this past weekend for $.40/lb. They threw it on the scale and it weighed 147 + change. That sucker was heavy. It took two of us to get it on my truck!
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Just bring side cutters, if you can cut (or dent) them it will melt. Zinc and Steel only scratches with the side cutters. Personally I have been finding maybe 10 per bucket, not enough to worry about. But if you hit a german car dealer you might find 100% zinc.

As far as price, you have to feel them out and see how low you can get them. I always assume that 5 gallon bucket full is 100 lbs. It will really weigh more, but that makes up for the non lead wheel weights, lug nuts, valve stems, razor blades, cig butts, and all the trash you find in the bucket. Never price wheel weights using pure Lead prices. Your bucket has around 30% steel clips, and don't forget the gas and time to remove the steel clips. Plus keep in mind if they want scrap yard prices they have to take it to the scrap yard (more gas and labor).

The price is almost 1/2 of what it was a year ago, but the shops don't follow the market and they think they are sitting on gold.

What is killing the market is the guy who offers more then they are worth. Kind of like what the auction sights did to gun shows. You see one item sell for more then it's worth so that means all those same items should be priced accordingly.

I like to be honest and pay what they are worth (sort of). I start my offers at $15.00 per full bucket, but because of competition most times I end up paying around $25.00 to $30.00 per full bucket. To me they are worth $30.00 tops.

I feel part of starting a "wheel weight friendship" is to pay what what they are worth (A box of doughnuts after the sale goes a long way also). When I hit a shop that says "I been giving them to by friend for years" I still offer $30.00. Some times they change there mind and sell them to me. Now if his friend had been paying what they were worth the bucket would still be there when he showed up to get them.

Boolit Buddy

Thumbs up Good Deal today..

Had a chance to visit back to Scottsbluff, NE . & see some of the Ole Gang @ the Radiator Repair shop. While taking cast Boolits & WW. owner opens the local paper & says look here . 75 lbs WW for $20. Called number & snatched those up quick. Haven't been to the bottom of the bucket ,but looks like all Lead Stick on's. Got the round trip Free fm my Lady Barber , she happens to be the area manager for 'Great Clips. Guess She will get a larger Tip next Cut. Russ.

I haven't seen many zinc ones but on occassion do run a cross one.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    I've had plenty of what looks like the pic and they were all lead with an outside coating that melted in the pot. I melted down about 100 lbs of ww yesterday and found for the first time some fe ww's. I've read on this site more than once about fellow casters finding the zinc and fe ww's. I had never found anything in my ww's and thought that nothing like that would make it to south Louisiana. Beware my fellow southern boolit makers; we have been invaded!!!