RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pesole

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.

Pesole

Here's a good early dish, using some modern ingredients. You could have had something real similar in Santa Fe or Taos, way back when. The only caveat, is all are restricted from bringing this to the pot luck at our spring or fall shoots. Otherwise, what would I bring?!!

I like to do this in a Dutch oven. (Of course!)

Two lbs. sausage, brown and drain.

Add three cans of drained white hominy, stir together with the sausage.

Add two jars of Picante or Salsa, with cilantro.

Stir together, bring to simmer for a few minutes, and dinner is ready.

Takes 15-20 minutes.

Try it, you'll like it!

Pesole is a favorite for me as well, but I have been banned from making it at home as I tend to get a bit crazy with the chile. But ohhh sooo goood
    Member of...
    NMLRA
    NRA

Boolit Master

More info needed!

Like what kind of sausage? What size cans? Maybe brand names would be helpful as well.

Talking

Yeah, Ric, is that three #10 cans of hominy? I'd think maybe a little more Venison sausage might be in order.

I think I have one of the more complicated Posole recipes around, dating back to my days in Spanish California. I love both the Posole and Menudo.

I used to buy the Menudo by the quart on a Friday night, just before the neighborhood Mexican Restaurant closed. They made it ahead for Saturday and Sunday sales only. They usually wouldn't sell it until after 8:30 PM, but sometimes I'd go over a little early and eat the gratis homemade tortilla chips and HOT salsa with my Negra Modelo (or two).

I don't miss a lot about PDRK, but the ethnic food is certainly one thing I really do miss. And, of course, a lot of really nice people!
    Regards,

WE

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    14.5 oz. cans. I use the cheapy breakfast type sausage, that comes in the little chub packages.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=waksupi]Here's a good early dish, using some modern ingredients. You could have had something real similar in Santa Fe or Taos, way back when. The only caveat, is all are restricted from bringing this to the pot luck at our spring or fall shoots. Otherwise, what would I bring?!!

Good grief, reminds me of that commercial NEW YORK CITY, get a rope.

All in fun, might even taste good.

When I hear pesole, my memory takes over and I see a large stock pot simmering slowly out in the yard on top of mesquite coals it contains two fresh pork shoulders, eight large onions, a large handful of garlic cloves, a cup and a half of fresh ground red Chile powder , salt and cumin. Its been simmering for about eight hrs and it's time to add the 3 gallons of nixtamal Spel.?(Mexican style hominy) and in another 5 hrs it will be ready to eat. Fill up a big bowl add some fresh chopped cilantro and pass the home made tortilla's please

Trooper Dan
    For the Mexican hominy about the best you are going to find in the Mid Alantic area is Juanita's brand in the can.

That sounds GOOD.

Incidentally it appears it is no longer possible to get decent picante sauce.
    Have mercy.
    A haw, haw, haw, haw, a haw.
    A haw, haw, haw

Boolit Master
    Ric, had it for dinner this evening as it was "Mexican" night. Tacos, refired beans, 'Spanish' Rice, etc. Big hit. Really good rolled up in a flour tortilla... I'd had it before but never made it, so I did it per your recipe. Quick, easy, tasty! Got some for tomorrow and some for work Monday. It's a 'keeper'. I used Pace brand, one jar mild, one jar medium (can't do hot stuff in my house) and came out good. Thought I was gonna have to add some more moisture, but as it simmered down, covered, low heat, it was okay. Of course, meat was drained off good before contining. Yea. It's a keeper. Thanks for the recipe. sundog

p.s. This stuff would make a good breakfast burrito.....

edit: btw, the Pace Picanti I used was the "Cilantro" style. Clearly marked on the lable.
    Last edited by sundog; 12-10-2005 at 09:45 PM.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Whats the size of the salsa jars?

Quote Originally Posted by sundog
    Ric, had it for dinner this evening as it was "Mexican" night. Tacos, refired beans, 'Spanish' Rice, etc. Big hit. Really good rolled up in a flour tortilla... I'd had it before but never made it, so I did it per your recipe. Quick, easy, tasty! Got some for tomorrow and some for work Monday. It's a 'keeper'. I used Pace brand, one jar mild, one jar medium (can't do hot stuff in my house) and came out good. Thought I was gonna have to add some more moisture, but as it simmered down, covered, low heat, it was okay. Of course, meat was drained off good before contining. Yea. It's a keeper. Thanks for the recipe. sundog

p.s. This stuff would make a good breakfast burrito.....

edit: btw, the Pace Picanti I used was the "Cilantro" style. Clearly marked on the lable.
    You'll really like CarpetMan's Gato Pesole then. Ask him for the recipe...

Boolit Master
    45, 16-oz jars. Makes enough for more than several normal people. Especially if there are other things to go with it like tacos, rice, beans, tortillas, etc. Alone? Maybe 2 hungry bears. I kinda thought the tortillas went purdy good with it. sundog

Boolit Master
    Scrounger, gotta shot and skin'em first? I'm thinkin' the HOT picanti would be appropriate in that case.... sundog

Boolit Master

Looks so good I think I will get some Venson sausage out of the freezer and make up a batch for Sun dinner.
    I think I will add HOT salsa
    I like self heating foods or twice hot foods , in and out .

Johnch
    Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
    And I carry a LOADED Hell Cat

Corky, that is what I use in my picante mix. Others like hot, some like mild, so they just have to pick thier own poison. glad you liked it.

Banned

Don't have any sausage, and just some good venison in the freezer., and I can't eat pork cause it makes my stomac upset.

How can I use that venison with your recipie? Sounds so good and I LOVE hominy!!

Quote Originally Posted by PatMarlin
    Don't have any sausage, and just some good venison in the freezer., and I can't eat pork cause it makes my stomac upset.

How can I use that venison with your recipie? Sounds so good and I LOVE hominy!!
    "Sausage" is a generic term for almost any mixture of ground meat and spices and anything else you want to put in it. We generally think of it as 'pork sausage' because it's root word stem is from the German word for boar or pig, 'sau'. A lot of guys do make venison sausage, using the ground venison (consider adding some fat if it is too lean) and pepper, garlic, sage, whatever they like. Chiles come to mind. Go for it!

Boolit Master
    Well, I thought I was gonna have some to take to work for the boys tomorrow. Daughter, SIL, and granddaughter came back from taking Mrs Sundog Christmas shopping and SIL walked in grinning ear-to-ear carry a bag of tortillas. Short of it is that we heated up what was left from last night, quite a bit, and chowed down. That in between casting and shooting the new 326-175-FN. Life don't get to much better! I've been thinking that depending on the spices and keeping the meat from drying out during the process, venison would be perfect for this. Maybe half sausage, half venison. That's one of my favorite ways to make chili, too, half and half.

Ric, it's already been requested for a Christmas Eve add on to the menu. That don't hurt my feelings too much. Been a long time since I had had it and this easy way to fix it is purdy good! Pot's empty, washed, and already put away - for next time. sundog

Boolit Master

I made a batch of Ric's recipe tonite for my wife and I. I used half home grown pig sausage and half deer burger that's about 20% bacon trimmings. Dang good stuff. Thanks Ric. Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Waksupi's Pesole IMHO

Its gettin' to be that time of year again. I like this dish in the cool/cold weather months. Sumthin' that sticks to your bones.
    Made a batch last week at work. Went fast, no leftovers.
    Most excellent with cornbread as a side dish!
    Any one who does meals with co-workers...gotta try this.
    Already have requests and demands for the next batch.
    This is one must try recipe..............Period.
    Thanks, Waksupi!
    ....................................Lee

In Remembrance
    waksupi's recipe calls for cans of drained white hominy.

It's even better (and more authentic) if you buy 'posole corn' (or menudo corn). It has a certain amount of seasoning soaked right into it. We found a supermarket (some years ago) that sold it, dry, in one pound bags...so we bought a case of it.
    (BTW, that was an Albertson's store, and the corn comes from Casados Farms, Box 852, San Juan Pueblo, N.M. 87566;
    Ph. 505-852-2433)

As for 'meat', it is most common to use a pork roast (the Aztecs used human flesh), simmered for about half a day, to flavor the mix...let it cool so you can skim out most of the 'grease' and reduce the roast to bite-sized chunks...then heat back up to serve.
    But (kinda like with ham in pinto beans) it is a corn dish...not a meat dish. So a little meat goes a long way.

The spice blend in good posole is important, but it is typically a 'rich' flavor, not a 'hot' one. After all, it has a tradition of being what you serve to Christmas carollers to warm them up. You wouldn't want to sear their throats with 'hot sauce'...so they couldn't sing.

While posole is not 'soup', I like a generous amount of 'pot liquor' for dunking a rolled up flour tortilla in. Cornbread, while perfect with pinto beans, seems like overkill when the meal itself is corn.

As for wine, I'll leave the choice to you. I usually pick the one where the color of the box matches the tablecloth.
    CM

Another source of posole corn,
    http://www.albuquerque-tortilla.com/...products_id=49
    Last edited by montana_charlie; 10-26-2006 at 02:26 PM.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast