Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
WidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 30-30 Case Life Test.

Thanks for the replies.

35remington, I know that less sizing will result in longer case life, all else being equal. I think I have a tight chamber and gun, and that will certainly produce different results than someone with a loose chamber and using minimum dies.

I've been thinking on how I can measure the shoulder. Im going to try using a socket to index on the shoulder and see if I can get a repeatable measurement. If it works it won't be as good as a store bought comparator but it will offer a close idea .

Trapper, I know lube dents result from too much lube on the shoulder or right below it. I get small dents with Hornady one shot. I mention it as evidence that my dies are indeed moving the shoulder some.

Boolit Buddy
    Drop a .357 mag case over the neck of the 30-30 case and measure the oal before and after sizing. Then store 357 case in your die box to use for future measurements. A 38 sp. case will also work, heck maybe even a 9mm case.
    Most evil in our society today can be cured by the proper application of the A.C.P.

Thanks longpoint, it didn't occur to me to use an empty casing. I'll try that and see if it's consistent.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

35remington, I know that less sizing will result in longer case life, all else being equal. I think I have a tight chamber and gun, and that will certainly produce different results than someone with a loose chamber and using minimum dies.

I've been thinking on how I can measure the shoulder. Im going to try using a socket to index on the shoulder and see if I can get a repeatable measurement. If it works it won't be as good as a store bought comparator but it will offer a close idea .

Trapper, I know lube dents result from too much lube on the shoulder or right below it. I get small dents with Hornady one shot. I mention it as evidence that my dies are indeed moving the shoulder some.
    I was not sure you know about the over lube. I use Hornady Unique for my case lube .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Thanks trapper,

I've not tried the unique lube yet. I've been using imperial or Hornady one shot. The one shot though, because you spray it one gets on the shoulder. I don't scrimp on it, and it'll make little dents. It's a lot faster than the imperial, but I like the imperial better.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123