Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2PBcastco
Load DataReloading EverythingWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication Repackbox
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Faithful .22s

Boolit Master
    I have some nice .22s but there are a few I like more than others. I have a few Remington 552s that are fun and reliable but I guess the one I like the most just for it's fun factor at the silhouette range is a Winchester Model 90 (1930).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x209_4874.jpg  

Boolit Master
    My 10/22 that I've had for I don't know how many years is the only one that I've kept. I also have a 22/45 that is extremely accurate. All the others have been sold or traded. I did have an H&R 999 that felt good but the rear sight had some issues and kept wandering. I should have sent it back to the factory, but traded it for God only remembers what.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

I've killed scores of squirrels and rabbits with my old-faithful Remington 514 single shot...got it for Christmas in 1964 (?? I think ??). It sets by my kitchen window to dispatch critters who come uninvited to my bird feeders.
    My other, "newer" .22 is a 1967 Marlin 989M2. It's a great shooter and accurate as the day is long. I don't shoot it as much because I can't justify cutting loose all that semi-automatic, over-kill firepower.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My favorite, Henry H001T with Williams FP-GR receiver sight. Shoots just about any round well, but really likes Winchester Power Points and Browning Performance Rimfire. Gave it some exercise today in fact!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Henry H001T.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	245698
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Banned
    Love the dog pictures. With that said. Two buddies bringing home dead rotting stuff. BAD DOG.

I put some rounds through my wife's 10/22 today. It is stainless with a blue laminate wood stock, all factory other than a peep sight leaf for the rear sight. It shoots great, certainly better than I can take advantage of. I think I am going to pick up a 10/22 of my own. Hers is a little too fancy for a knockabout gun. Not that the gun couldn't handle it, but you know how the ladyfolk can be about appearances! Probably just go with the ubiquitous $200.00 wood stock/blue finish carbine.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF.

Boolit Buddy

Moss berg M46mb. Had it for 50 plus years.

Boolit Buddy
    My favorite .22 would be my marlin 39A that my granddad bought new in the early 60s to the best of my knowledge. It dont get out much but it will put them where you want them. Hands down my most accurate .22

Boolit Mold
    Winchester 62a.

Tried out the wife's 10/22 some more today. It really, really likes Federal Game Shock 40 grain. These rounds are indistinguishable from Mini Mags, at least to my eyes. The carbine doesnt like the 1435 fps Browning Performance Rimfire 40 grain HP or the Winchester Xpert 36 grain HP. They are useable, but the groups open up noticeably.

Boolit Master
    Favorite is a model 17-3 got it new in the mid 70s . For many years I shot at least a brick of 22s sometimes 2 or 3 a week out of it.
    Started getting some light strikes recently so just put in a set of wolf springs and shimmed the cylinder back the gap at rest was .001 cylinder pulled back was .008 the first things I have done to it other than cleaning.
    It’s been a great gun. $199.00 well spent
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4667D0E5-2B7D-433E-A0DE-2CFAEFCB917F.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	245949

I also have a S&W model 17, it's a -5 and what a shooter. Bought it from a friend cheap and really haven't shot a paper target but clay pigeons at 25 yards are history when I do my part. I usually shoot standing up and single action cause it's so much fun. I will have to put in on a target next time out just for fun.

Boolit Master

Murdered 8 over ripe tomatoes yesterday evening with my Winchester 67A. Great little single shot rifle, accurate too. james

I really, really want to add a new 8 shot Ruger SP-101 to my battery. Cheaper guns keep getting in the way though!

Boolit Grand Master
    Had my 66 since Mom bought it for me down at the PX at Ft. Sill, when I turned 16. Put I don't know how many thousands of round thru it. I added a Marlin 39A about 5 years later. The 66 was accurate, but nothing touched the Marlin. Even my center fire rifles, until later when my loading techniques improved. Most times just barely too!!

Remington Model 12 pump. Couple of 10/22's, but the Remington is my squirrel gun for the last 55 years.

Boolit Master

Got one of those Weird Winchester Model 55's when I was 9yrs old. Dad cut down the stock to fit and added 1/4" spacers until it was full length at 15yrs old. Got a "New" stock for it 10yrs later from a Gun Show. The Guy had no idea what it was for 90%+ Condition.
    Can still hit a Necco Wafer at 25yrds.

My Uncle gave me a Marlin 39D for My 17th B-Day. Three months later I went into the U. S. Navy. My little brother beat that Rifle to Death. Still have it, had to replace the sights. Never have gotten around to refinishing the stock. But it Shoots Fantastic. It is my go to Rifle. Gonna have to replace the Peep sight with a scope soon. Just can't see well enough anymore.
    Can't scope the old model 55, couldn't load it if I did.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Got one of those Weird Winchester Model 55's when I was 9yrs old. Dad cut down the stock to fit and added 1/4" spacers until it was full length at 15yrs old. Got a "New" stock for it 10yrs later from a Gun Show. The Guy had no idea what it was for 90%+ Condition.
    Can still hit a Necco Wafer at 25yrds.

My Uncle gave me a Marlin 39D for My 17th B-Day. Three months later I went into the U. S. Navy. My little brother beat that Rifle to Death. Still have it, had to replace the sights. Never have gotten around to refinishing the stock. But it Shoots Fantastic. It is my go to Rifle. Gonna have to replace the Peep sight with a scope soon. Just can't see well enough anymore.
    Can't scope the old model 55, couldn't load it if I did.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Murdered 8 over ripe tomatoes yesterday evening with my Winchester 67A. Great little single shot rifle, accurate too. james
    more senseless slaughter.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by onelight View Post
    more senseless slaughter.
    There is PETA for those poor helpless animals. There ought to be a VETA for the even poorer more helpless vegetables. sigh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast